News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sonia Sotomayor for USSC?

Started by Caliga, May 26, 2009, 07:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 29, 2009, 10:45:07 AM
Many football & basketball programs are either self-supporting or actually profitable.  Women's sports are to blame for the inflated cost of an athletic program & should be scaled back (Title IX be damned) to only the sports people actually want to participate in or watch.

Yeah good luck with that Title IX thing.  The thing that fucks men's sports is he fact women do not play football.  So men's programs have to go.  The thing that really annoys me is in order to fill alot of the Varsity programs even the University of Texas has to recruit female athletes and give them scholarships who have never actually played the sport in question before.  I mean we have a varsity woman's rowing team just to try to balance out the football scholarships and nobody does crew here in Texas much less women.

Meanwhile Baseball, a sport played by millions of boys all over the country, rarely has more than a tiny number of scholarships to pass out.  Many division I programs only have a ridiculous three scholarships to give for Baseball.  But I tend to focus on that one since College Baseball is my favorite sport.

On the other hand I seriously doubt that more than a small number of Division I schools are profiteable or self supporting.  I bet maybe a tiny handful of Div II or III schools are.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

ulmont

Many football & basketball programs are either self-supporting or actually profitable.

QuoteA new article in the Chronicle of Higher Education reveals that from 2004-06, only 17 out of 330 Division I athletic departments operated at a profit, with universities making up the difference, usually out of general operating revenues.
http://sports-law.blogspot.com/2008/05/cost-of-college-sports.html

The article (about a year old) seems to be unobtainable at the moment.

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2009, 10:48:22 AM
On the other hand I seriously doubt that more than a small number of Division I schools are profiteable or self supporting.  I bet maybe a tiny handful of Div II or III schools are.

Are you talking about athletics or a specific sport?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: ulmont on May 29, 2009, 10:57:35 AM
Many football & basketball programs are either self-supporting or actually profitable.

QuoteA new article in the Chronicle of Higher Education reveals that from 2004-06, only 17 out of 330 Division I athletic departments operated at a profit, with universities making up the difference, usually out of general operating revenues.
http://sports-law.blogspot.com/2008/05/cost-of-college-sports.html

Again, I'm talking about individual football or basketball programs, not athletic departments.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: ulmont on May 29, 2009, 10:57:35 AM

Yes but that is the entire athletic department.  What Spicey is saying is that the Football and Basketball programs alone are profiteable or pay for themselves, without considering the losses associated with the rest of the department.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on May 29, 2009, 10:58:06 AM
Are you talking about athletics or a specific sport?

I am talking about football and Basketball.  I know my Alma Mater didn't make anything since attending the games was free.

Berkut

I think the focus on the small number of profitable departments is a bit unfair. The fact that there are a few that make money suggests that the others are failulres since they do not, or that it is a reasonable expectation that they do.

The odd thing about this is that the compliant that athletic departments do not make money tends to come from the same people who complain that college athletics is all about money!

If 20 out of 300 are profitable, how many are basically break even? Is being profitable even a goal for most of those? I would guess breaking even or coming close is really all they are looking for, and many are going to be fine with the atletic department costing some money, within reason.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Lets look at something like mens track.

Probalby not a profitable sport at any school in the country.

Is that a problem? *Must* it make money to be worthwhile?

0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on May 29, 2009, 11:02:34 AM
I think the focus on the small number of profitable departments is a bit unfair. The fact that there are a few that make money suggests that the others are failulres since they do not, or that it is a reasonable expectation that they do.

I brought up this point to challenge the notion that there were economic advantages for a school giving out football and basketball scholarships.  Even for the very top and richest programs do not benefit their school that much, beyond funding the rest of the athletic department.

Rather schools percieve athletics as an important career and path of "study" (so to speak) as legitimate as any other.  So that is why they fund them not out of some desire to get rich.

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2009, 11:07:24 AM
Quote from: Berkut on May 29, 2009, 11:02:34 AM

I brought up this point to challenge the notion that there were economic advantages for a school giving out football and basketball scholarships.  Even for the very top and richest programs do not benefit their school that much.

Actually, that is not true. The top tier programs benefit their schools immensely in fact. They bring in money, they bring attention, they create brand loyalty, they make the school a desirable product well beyond the strict financial return.

And the top tier programs make a shitload of money.

Rather schools percieve athletics as an important career and path of "study" (so to speak) as legitimate as any other.  So that is why they fund them not out of some desire to get rich.

No they don't. They fund them because it is part of the university culture in America, part of the marketing system, and even if they don't make money, their revenue offsets costs.

I don't think too many universities have athletic programs because they think they ought to as a way to prepare people to become professional athletes.

0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on May 29, 2009, 11:10:58 AM
I don't think too many universities have athletic programs because they think they ought to as a way to prepare people to become professional athletes.

No but there are plenty of careers in athletics that do not involve becoming a professional athlete.  Certainly as many as studying Ancient Mycenaean pottery.

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2009, 11:15:37 AM
Quote from: Berkut on May 29, 2009, 11:10:58 AM

No but there are plenty of careers in athletics that do not involve becoming a professional athlete.  Certainly as many as studying Ancient Mycenaean pottery.

But you don't need an athletic department to teach those things.

0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2009, 11:00:15 AM
I am talking about football and Basketball.  I know my Alma Mater didn't make anything since attending the games was free.

What was your alma mater?

Anyway, I figure if WVU's football program can be self-funded, most decent Division I programs should be able to do that as well.

small clarification: WVU's entire athletics program is actually self-funded.

Berkut

I would guess that most, if not all, of the BCS schools manage to make money or at least break even on football and basketball.

0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on May 29, 2009, 11:17:30 AM
But you don't need an athletic department to teach those things.

I question that is true.  All those student trainers working with the sports teams are getting valuable experience for the future and so forth for other similar positions.

QuoteNo they don't. They fund them because it is part of the university culture in America, part of the marketing system, and even if they don't make money, their revenue offsets costs.

At a division II, III or NAIA school?  Even at Division I schools way back in the 19th century when all these athletic departments were originally developed and that was why they came to be: for phyiscal education.  They may have certain side benefits today but that was the original rational for giving athletic scholarships and having varsity teams.