And we're back!

Main Menu

Sonia Sotomayor for USSC?

Started by Caliga, May 26, 2009, 07:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

Quote from: Siege on May 28, 2009, 08:19:23 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_N._Cardozo

"Ellen Hart and Michael H. Cardozo, were Sephardi Jews; their families immigrated from England before the American Revolution, and were descended from Jews who left the Iberian Peninsula for Holland during the Inquisition.[1] Cardozo family tradition held that their ancestors were Marranos from Portugal,[1] although Cardozo's ancestry has not been firmly traced to Portugal.[2] "Cardoso", "Seixas" and "Mendes" are common Portuguese surnames."

Because if there's anything that says Hispanic, it's descent from an English family who arrived in America before the Revolution.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Faeelin on May 28, 2009, 09:26:08 PM
"Ellen Hart and Michael H. Cardozo, were Sephardi Jews; their families immigrated from England before the American Revolution, and were descended from Jews who left the Iberian Peninsula for Holland during the Inquisition.[1] Cardozo family tradition held that their ancestors were Marranos from Portugal,[1] although Cardozo's ancestry has not been firmly traced to Portugal.[2] "Cardoso", "Seixas" and "Mendes" are common Portuguese surnames."

Because if there's anything that says Hispanic, it's descent from an English family who arrived in America before the Revolution.

They're probably not any more English than Spanish though, it's not like there was much intermarriage between Jews and Christians at the time.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Freaky.  Rush Limbaugh predicted back in 1997 that Sotomayor would make it to the Supreme Court, though apparently he had forgotten about it afterward.

http://briefingroom.thehill.com/2009/05/26/flashback-limbaugh-foresaw-sotomayor-nomination-in-97/
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: AnchorClanker on May 28, 2009, 03:11:14 PM
Funnily enough, I've wondered for years how something so unfair as athletic "scholarships" were conjured up at all.
It doesn't even pass the sematic coherence test.

It is an ancient western tradition that physical education is just as important as mental education.  The Greeks and Romans were big on that I believe.

Supporters of athletics in academic institutions can point to loads of research showing that athletes perform better academically than those who do not participate to justify the continuation of its existence.

Some people point to the money athletics can generate but really the only thing that money ever does is support athletics, the rest of the school never benefits.  Has anybody ever heard of a new Engineering building being built with Football money before?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on May 29, 2009, 09:39:53 AM
Freaky.  Rush Limbaugh predicted back in 1997 that Sotomayor would make it to the Supreme Court, though apparently he had forgotten about it afterward.

http://briefingroom.thehill.com/2009/05/26/flashback-limbaugh-foresaw-sotomayor-nomination-in-97/

However, he failed to predict Donovan McNabb would win the NFC championship.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Faeelin

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 28, 2009, 11:07:17 PM
They're probably not any more English than Spanish though, it's not like there was much intermarriage between Jews and Christians at the time.

I dunno. At what point does ethnicity matter compared to culture? Does anybody think Cardozo's grandparents spoke Spanish, for instance?

alfred russel

Quote from: Faeelin on May 29, 2009, 09:50:58 AM

I dunno. At what point does ethnicity matter compared to culture? Does anybody think Cardozo's grandparents spoke Spanish, for instance?

If his family was from Portugal, not likely unless they learned it in school.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on May 29, 2009, 09:48:32 AM
However, he failed to predict Donovan McNabb would win the NFC championship.

:lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Faeelin

Quote from: alfred russel on May 29, 2009, 09:55:08 AM

If his family was from Portugal, not likely unless they learned it in school.

:blush:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2009, 09:46:10 AM
Some people point to the money athletics can generate but really the only thing that money ever does is support athletics, the rest of the school never benefits.  Has anybody ever heard of a new Engineering building being built with Football money before?

I doubted your assertion and did some quick searches on google.  I had always thought that sports programs were a revenue generator for universities but it appears that sports programs are actually subsidized by many universities.

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 29, 2009, 10:26:29 AM
I doubted your assertion and did some quick searches on google.  I had always thought that sports programs were a revenue generator for universities but it appears that sports programs are actually subsidized by many universities.

Rather it is subsidized by almost all Universities (which is sort of odd way of putting it as athletics is supposed to be a department on campus like say Chemistry is).  Only a select few Athletic Departments make enough money to be self funding...and even then they rely on big time contributions from alumni than profits from tickets and gear sales and such.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Siege

So what?
They probably spoke ladino and hebrew.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Quote from: Faeelin on May 28, 2009, 09:26:08 PM
Quote from: Siege on May 28, 2009, 08:19:23 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benjamin_N._Cardozo

Many latino people say that the sefaradim are hispanic.
That's totally retarded.
I mean, we do feel culturally very close to the spaniards and portugueses, but the latinos from Latin-america?
Those people are indians that speak spanish. Nothing else.
Even their culture is very diferent from Iberian cultures.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2009, 10:33:20 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 29, 2009, 10:26:29 AM

Rather it is subsidized by almost all Universities (which is sort of odd way of putting it as athletics is supposed to be a department on campus like say Chemistry is).  Only a select few Athletic Departments make enough money to be self funding...and even then they rely on big time contributions from alumni than profits from tickets and gear sales and such.

Well, they rely on donations for large projects generally, not for operating funds.

Even the profitable schools (I think there were 19 in the last report) have profitable departments - what that really means is that football and basketball make enough to cover the other sports, which, with a few exceptions on a school by school basis, all lose money.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2009, 10:33:20 AM

Many football & basketball programs are either self-supporting or actually profitable.  Women's sports are to blame for the inflated cost of an athletic program & should be scaled back (Title IX be damned) to only the sports people actually want to participate in or watch.