News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The 100 Year Starship Project

Started by grumbler, June 14, 2013, 06:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Siege on June 17, 2013, 05:33:25 PM
Do you think space colonization will require genetic manipulation of the human body to adapt and survive in the new enviroment.

If so, these colonials will definitively become a diferent culture, no matter what country they originally came from.
I think that colonists will become their own culture no matter what.  With no ability to quickly communicate with Earth, people will adopt their own way based on the social fabric and their environment.  I would think that initial colonization strategies will focus on keeping separate from the local environment, just because there are so many dangers that couldn't be detected remotely.  If a group wants to make alterations, they would be done on-site.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

I wonder how people would be selected for such a mission in terms of their psych profile.  You would probably need people with good social skills who can build and maintain a strong functioning community.

But people with that characteristic would likely have strong attachments on earth and so may be less likely to commit to such an endeavor as they would likely never see their friends and family again.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on June 17, 2013, 02:23:23 PM
Quote from: PDH on June 17, 2013, 10:23:48 AM
From a historical viewpoint the various colonies from ancient to more recent would be a good place to look.  Would the set up of such a base be fairly successful like the sister-cities of the Greeks/Phoenicians, or would they be the slapdash affairs because of unexpected happenings of the English in the late 16th Century?  Does planning for as many possible problems as can be foreseen make the entire thing too sclerotic or does it ensure success?

I disagree.  When the Greeks and English colonized new Lands they did so with the knowledge that these new lands could support human life.  This may not be the case on another planet.

I don't know, I mean colonists that came to Plymouth and Roanoke were still taking a big risk that they wouldn't survive - even if there were humans that could live there.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on June 19, 2013, 12:13:18 PM
From a historical viewpoint the various colonies from ancient to more recent would be a good place to look.  Would the set up of such a base be fairly successful like the sister-cities of the Greeks/Phoenicians, or would they be the slapdash affairs because of unexpected happenings of the English in the late 16th Century?  Does planning for as many possible problems as can be foreseen make the entire thing too sclerotic or does it ensure success?

I disagree.  When the Greeks and English colonized new Lands they did so with the knowledge that these new lands could support human life.  This may not be the case on another planet.

I don't know, I mean colonists that came to Plymouth and Roanoke were still taking a big risk that they wouldn't survive - even if there were humans that could live there.

They were taking a risk sure, but they knew the plant crops there and they expected some shipments from home.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on June 19, 2013, 12:22:04 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 19, 2013, 12:13:18 PM

They were taking a risk sure, but they knew the plant crops there and they expected some shipments from home.

I think you are overstating both for the initial/early colonists. Not that you aren't right that there are still substantial differences between that and these space faring colonists.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

These days it's not about leaving Earth per se, but about leaving the internet. If you can't check FB to see that some retard somewhere is having brunch right now then what's the point with life? Good luck finding volunteers.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Brain on June 19, 2013, 01:01:40 PM
These days it's not about leaving Earth per se, but about leaving the internet. If you can't check FB to see that some retard somewhere is having brunch right now then what's the point with life? Good luck finding volunteers.

:lol:

Maximus

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/05/vint-cerf-interplanetary-internet/

The Brain

Quote from: Maximus on June 19, 2013, 01:21:06 PM
http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/05/vint-cerf-interplanetary-internet/

That's just interplanetary. We need some serious FTL tech for interstellar.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maximus

Quote from: Neil on June 15, 2013, 10:06:08 PM
Moreover, the resources that the asteroid belt has aren't the ones we need the most.  Petroleum, natural gas and wood can't be recovered from asteroids.
I am guessing it would be easier to produce those things on an asteroid than to transport them back to earth cost-effectively.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on June 19, 2013, 12:40:40 PM

I think you are overstating both for the initial/early colonists. Not that you aren't right that there are still substantial differences between that and these space faring colonists.

I simply don't think that previous colonists attempts in history apply well.  From the perspective of Earth you are essentially destroying equipment and personnel for no return.  Imagine if Sir. Walter Raleigh told the Queen he wanted three ships, a bunch of colonists, supplies, food stuff and weapons and take them where nobody would ever see them again.  And If all went well, he'd send back a letter in 300 years.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017