News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The 100 Year Starship Project

Started by grumbler, June 14, 2013, 06:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

I am interested in the NASA/DARPA 100 Year Starship Project http://100yss.org/mission/purpose mostly as a teacher who wants to promote interdisciplinary projects, but thought it might be of interest here.

As a teacher, I look at this as a motivational tool:  for the parents and grandparents of current students, the goal was the race to the moon  http://www.jfklibrary.org/Asset-Viewer/MkATdOcdU06X5uNHbmqm1Q.aspx The upcoming generation has nothing like that to inspire them. 

Anyone have any meaningful thoughts on the project?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

fhdz

I'd not heard about it prior to your mention of it here; it seems very interesting, so I'll do some reading on the site and see if I have some comments after that :)
and the horse you rode in on

jimmy olsen

Well, I don't know if my thoughts are meaningful, but I think a 100 year project is just too far out to excite most students. I think that something like Planetary Resources plans to mine near earth asteroids in the next decade might be a better choice to focus on.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 15, 2013, 09:09:47 PM
I think that something like Planetary Resources plans to mine near earth asteroids in the next decade might be a better choice to focus on.

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 15, 2013, 09:09:47 PMI think that something like Planetary Resources plans to mine near earth asteroids in the next decade might be a better choice to focus on.
But not really, since that doesn't help anyone.

Since ramscoops probably don't work, I wonder how we would travel from one system to another.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on June 15, 2013, 09:20:59 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 15, 2013, 09:09:47 PMI think that something like Planetary Resources plans to mine near earth asteroids in the next decade might be a better choice to focus on.

:huh: How can you argue that tapping the unlimited resources of the asteroid belt wouldn't be economically beneficial?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 15, 2013, 09:24:01 PM
:huh: How can you argue that tapping the unlimited resources of the asteroid belt wouldn't be economically beneficial?
Because there's no return on the investment for the people going out to mine it, and the executives probably won't appreciate their jail terms.

Also, economically beneficial usually doesn't help anyone.  It was economically beneficial to shitcan CdM, but who did that help?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jaron

I feel like the resources, while perhaps abundant, probably aren't unlimited.
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Neil

Quote from: Jaron on June 15, 2013, 10:00:09 PM
I feel like the resources, while perhaps abundant, probably aren't unlimited.
Moreover, the resources that the asteroid belt has aren't the ones we need the most.  Petroleum, natural gas and wood can't be recovered from asteroids.

Phillip V

Quote from: grumbler on June 14, 2013, 06:16:20 PM
As a teacher, I look at this as a motivational tool:  for the parents and grandparents of current students, the goal was the race to the moon  http://www.jfklibrary.org/Asset-Viewer/MkATdOcdU06X5uNHbmqm1Q.aspx The upcoming generation has nothing like that to inspire them. 

Anyone have any meaningful thoughts
Students should be motivated to race inside the limitless recesses of their minds.

That is where ultimate inspiration comes from.

Projects can include exercises in empathy, deferred gratification, and alternate history.

The Brain

I can supply natural gas and wood.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on June 15, 2013, 09:52:36 PM
Because there's no return on the investment for the people going out to mine it, and the executives probably won't appreciate their jail terms.
Of course they will get a return on their investment, why wouldn't they?

Only governments are barred from claiming property space, not private companies.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Agelastus

Also, economically beneficial usually doesn't help anyone.  It was economically beneficial to shitcan CdM, but who did that help?

Didn't we go through all this a couple of months ago?

Have you actually read the relevant Treaties (and by that I mean the ones that were actually ratified, not the one that hasn't?)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Eddie Teach

Shareholders, clearly.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PDH

Jesus, Tim can retard up a thread in one post.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM