News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Women as Army Rangers and Navy Seals by 2016

Started by jimmy olsen, June 18, 2013, 01:28:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alcibiades

As long as they don't lower the physical requirements it shouldn't be much of an issue.  It will honestly exclude 99% of women if they don't lower the requirements.  And if they can make it through then they deserve to be there.

Unfortunately they probably will lower physical requirements.  Though, no women have made it through the Marine Infantry Officer course yet.

Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on June 18, 2013, 07:58:02 AM
Terrible idea but you might as well do it at this point.  Combat effectiveness and national security take a back seat to things like people's self-esteem.

Good point, but eventually the racist will grow to accept black soldiers as equal and this won't be an issue.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on June 19, 2013, 12:24:08 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 18, 2013, 07:58:02 AM
Terrible idea but you might as well do it at this point.  Combat effectiveness and national security take a back seat to things like people's self-esteem.

Good point, but eventually the racist will grow to accept black soldiers as equal and this won't be an issue.

:yawn:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: Alcibiades on June 19, 2013, 11:00:41 AM
As long as they don't lower the physical requirements it shouldn't be much of an issue.  It will honestly exclude 99% of women if they don't lower the requirements.  And if they can make it through then they deserve to be there.

Unfortunately they probably will lower physical requirements.  Though, no women have made it through the Marine Infantry Officer course yet.

I hope they do not, and I would even go a step further.

To make it into the SEALS, it isn't enough to meet some monimum standard, no matter how high that minimum is set.

You also have to be able to beat out a bunch of other people who want that same spot - so while everyone might meet the minimum objective standard, the actual practical "minimum" is likely much, much higher.

Because the goal isn't to make sure everyone meets some minimum standard to do the job, the goal is to make the force as effective as absolutely possible.

Physical fitness is something that is not a binary condition on combat effectiveness, especially in SF.

If you are comparing two soldiers who are identical, but one is in better physical condition than the other, then the one in better condition will be a better soldier overall, even if both meet some minimum standard.

So I don't really buy into the basic idea of CC's "define a minimum, and if they can meet it, they should be allowed in". I think that is fine to create the opportunity to compete for the spots, but at that point their physical capability should still be held up against others as a relevant variable to decide if they earn a spot on some SF team. And if you do that, I very much doubt that any woman will be making Seal Team 6 anytime...ever.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Alcibiades

Well we will have to see.  But even from what I see in the regular army the amount of attention and opportunities shoved on to female officers is extremely disproportionate and undeserved in an effort to draw attention to them since they are a minority, regardless of performance.

So I really will be shocked if some women aren't pushed through that don't belong to draw publicity and show how 'diverse' the military is.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Kleves

Now that we are harnessing the power of diversity, we no longer need nuclear weapons.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Valmy

Quote from: Alcibiades on June 19, 2013, 03:34:15 PM
Well we will have to see.  But even from what I see in the regular army the amount of attention and opportunities shoved on to female officers is extremely disproportionate and undeserved in an effort to draw attention to them since they are a minority, regardless of performance.

So I really will be shocked if some women aren't pushed through that don't belong to draw publicity and show how 'diverse' the military is.

I am not sure lowering the standards like that actually helps women in the military much.  But I guess it sure beats the more recent publicity the military has been getting around women's issues.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on June 19, 2013, 04:46:02 PM
Quote from: Alcibiades on June 19, 2013, 03:34:15 PM

I am not sure lowering the standards like that actually helps women in the military much.  But I guess it sure beats the more recent publicity the military has been getting around women's issues.

What standards are we talking about lowering? PT?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jacob

Are standards being lowered, or are we talking about a hypothetical?

11B4V

Quote from: Jacob on June 19, 2013, 05:13:57 PM
Are standards being lowered, or are we talking about a hypothetical?

There's no hypothetical about it. It's inevitable and guaranteed. 

Let's take the push-up/sit-up/chin-up requirement for Ranger School.

Min to pass for entrance is
49 push-ups. (Perfectly executed that is.)
59 sit-ups
2 mile run in 15:12 minutes
6 chin-ups
5 mile run in forty minutes.

Push-up/Sit-up/2 Mile Run is 70% in the male 17-21 age bracket on the standard army apft. You could be a 35 yo old male and still have to attain this. So, to keep this at the 70% in the 17-21 age bracket:

This applied to the female bracket on the 17-21 female apft would be:
49 push-ups is above a 100%.
59 sit-ups is 70% same as the males.
70% on the 17-21 female push-up bracket is 25 push-ups

The 2 mile run.
15:12 is 70% for the 17-21 male age bracket. That is again over 100% for the female bracket. 18:06 is the 70% for the female 17-21 age bracket.

Chin-ups min. of six perfectly executed. No apft standard for this. So, girls suck it up.

5 mile run in 40 min. No apft standard for this. Suck it up ladies.

So using the above a Female would have to do:
25 push-ups.
59 sit-ups
2 mile run in 18:06 minutes
6 chin-ups
5 mile run in forty minutes.

The bolded can be considered lowered standards.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Almost forgot
16-mile Road March with 65lb pack in 5 hours 20 minutes. No APFT standard, so suck it up ladies.

The Minsky Moment

An American woman ran a 5K in under 15 minutes.  That is almost 3 miles.  So I don't think 2 miles in 15 minutes would be impossible to say the least.
The 8K record (almost 5 miles) is under 25 minutes so again the 40 should be achievable by a highly fit young woman.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

11B4V

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 19, 2013, 05:57:29 PM
An American woman ran a 5K in under 15 minutes.  That is almost 3 miles.  So I don't think 2 miles in 15 minutes would be impossible to say the least.
The 8K record (almost 5 miles) is under 25 minutes so again the 40 should be achievable by a highly fit young woman.

Missed the point entirely MM.

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson