Supreme Court strikes down Arizona law requiring proof of citizenship to vote

Started by jimmy olsen, June 17, 2013, 05:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 19, 2013, 09:47:40 AM
Quote from: merithyn on June 19, 2013, 09:42:56 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 19, 2013, 09:36:53 AM
And good luck if you're 79 years old and the Bumfuck County Courthouse in East Bumfuck, Alabama, burned down in the great fire of '47, taking all those records with it.

My friend's mom is 71 years old, and that happened to her in rural Illinois. She needed to petition the state to get a new birth certificate made for her, which took upwards of two years of establishing that she existed.

But see, that's not really a hassle anymore than any other hassle.

Luckily, she was white. Can you imagine how hard it would have been had she been Mexican?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Berkut

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 19, 2013, 09:27:23 AM
Berkut:

I disagree.  A five dollar fee for a non-driver ID or a half day to track down a birth certificate increases the hassle of voting, just as having to register is a hassle, or just as showing up at a polling station is a hassle.

Why increase the hassle at all if there isn't any evidence that there is a problem that said hassle would solve?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

You can tell this is a 100% political move.

Just look at the break down of support for all these various "Protect the Vote" efforts. It is consistently nearly 100% Republican. That isn't some bizarre coincidence.

What is sad is that it really does show how little most people actually care about individual rights.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Berkut on June 19, 2013, 09:58:58 AM
Why increase the hassle at all if there isn't any evidence that there is a problem that said hassle would solve?

Good question.  If you go back and read my post that started this flurry, you'll notice I wasn't advocating for proof of citizenship laws.  I was merely pointing out the flaw in asserting that the problem being addressed is tiny.

It may be tiny, it may be huge.  It may be huge yet the cost of the cure is still not worth it.

I don't get the Mexican birth certificate thing.  Are we talking about a citizen or an illegal?

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on June 19, 2013, 10:01:55 AM
I guess it is.  Probably also a good thing she wasn't Zimbabwean.

Eh most people do not get irrationally suspicious of black folks being illegal immigrants unless they have some sort of crazy accent.

Anyway if we are going to do something like this we first need to implement a federal system that quickly verifies people's citizenship at the polls at no cost or effort on their part.  If the Republicans implemented such a system then I think we could all agree they were acting in good faith on this.  Of course such a system would not benefit them politically in anyway...
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 19, 2013, 10:04:07 AM
I don't get the Mexican birth certificate thing.  Are we talking about a citizen or an illegal?

I was saying that my friend's mom spent two years trying to prove who she was so that she could get a replacement birth certificate. As a white woman, it was considered relatively easy. Had she been of Mexican descent, however, it probably would have been a good bit harder.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on June 19, 2013, 10:06:33 AM
Eh most people do not get irrationally suspicious of black folks being illegal immigrants unless they have some sort of crazy accent.

Anyway if we are going to do something like this we first need to implement a federal system that quickly verifies people's citizenship at the polls at no cost or effort on their part.  If the Republicans implemented such a system then I think we could all agree they were acting in good faith on this.  Of course such a system would not benefit them politically in anyway...

Exactly.

Admiral Yi

CountDeMoney

KRonn

Quote from: garbon on June 19, 2013, 07:45:29 AM
Quote from: KRonn on June 19, 2013, 07:40:42 AM
Quote from: Kleves on June 17, 2013, 06:31:51 PM
They're not saying such a requirement would be necessarily unconstitutional. They're just saying that federal law preempts the states from adding additional requirements. If federal law changed, that could change too.
That's my understanding also. And apparently some in Congress are moving to make changes to the law. You need to be a citizen to vote, so it shouldn't be an onerous burden to show citizenship, birth certificate, or what ever else qualifies, like maybe even a driver's license in most states.

Why make it harder for people to vote with ostensibly no gain?

US laws are that you need to be a citizen to vote. I think that's probably true in most countries. Yeah, it may take some effort for some to get a birth certificate or other proof, so I don't know what can be done about that.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on June 19, 2013, 10:39:37 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 19, 2013, 07:45:29 AM
Quote from: KRonn on June 19, 2013, 07:40:42 AM
Quote from: Kleves on June 17, 2013, 06:31:51 PM
They're not saying such a requirement would be necessarily unconstitutional. They're just saying that federal law preempts the states from adding additional requirements. If federal law changed, that could change too.
That's my understanding also. And apparently some in Congress are moving to make changes to the law. You need to be a citizen to vote, so it shouldn't be an onerous burden to show citizenship, birth certificate, or what ever else qualifies, like maybe even a driver's license in most states.

Why make it harder for people to vote with ostensibly no gain?

US laws are that you need to be a citizen to vote. I think that's probably true in most countries. Yeah, it may take some effort for some to get a birth certificate or other proof, so I don't know what can be done about that.

I'd suggest doing nothing as why enact a cure when you don't have evidence that a problem is occurring?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.