Supreme Court strikes down Arizona law requiring proof of citizenship to vote

Started by jimmy olsen, June 17, 2013, 05:05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Kleves on June 17, 2013, 06:31:51 PM
They're not saying such a requirement would be necessarily unconstitutional. They're just saying that federal law preempts the states from adding additional requirements. If federal law changed, that could change too.

They want to undo constitutional amendments, it'll take more amendments.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 18, 2013, 01:14:15 PM
You might want to read that again Meri.  :hmm:

Too many nots. I'll just say, "Okay, sounds good" and leave it at that. Too tired to try to parse out "Yi-isms".
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

What kind of non-immigrant...so a naturally born person...

So what sort of naturally born citizen does not possess proof of citizenship?

It seems Meri is saying is the sort of naturally born citizen that comprises 1/3rd of the total number? :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on June 18, 2013, 01:21:15 PM

The homeless.  Native Americans.  Rural elderly.

Admiral Yi

What kind of non-immigrant...so a naturally born person...

It seems Meri is saying is the sort of naturally born citizen that comprises 1/3rd of the total number? :hmm:

Right.  And in my mind this is very relevant to the discussion about proof of citizenship.

The Brain

I think it makes sense to disallow anything that requires even minor admin from a citizen. The IRS can lead the way.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Siege on June 17, 2013, 05:24:31 PM
What the fuck? What kind of legallized inmigrant does not posses a copy of their citizenship?
My shit is in my wife's safe, with plenty of copies.

QuoteUsing a naturalization document as proof would require an applicant to register in person, as opposed to through the mail, because federal law prohibits copying the document.

Admitting to committing a federal crime eh?  I am glad the NSA is probably reading this board.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 18, 2013, 01:23:23 PM

And Donald Duck, Jive Turkey, etc.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on June 18, 2013, 01:30:33 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 18, 2013, 01:23:23 PM

And Donald Duck, Jive Turkey, etc.

Nice.   We can include fetuses too.  Fuckstick.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

KRonn

They're not saying such a requirement would be necessarily unconstitutional. They're just saying that federal law preempts the states from adding additional requirements. If federal law changed, that could change too.
That's my understanding also. And apparently some in Congress are moving to make changes to the law. You need to be a citizen to vote, so it shouldn't be an onerous burden to show citizenship, birth certificate, or what ever else qualifies, like maybe even a driver's license in most states.

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on June 19, 2013, 07:40:42 AM
That's my understanding also. And apparently some in Congress are moving to make changes to the law. You need to be a citizen to vote, so it shouldn't be an onerous burden to show citizenship, birth certificate, or what ever else qualifies, like maybe even a driver's license in most states.

Why make it harder for people to vote with ostensibly no gain?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Surely even opponents of this sort of law can see that the number of non-citizens caught voting by a system that requires no proof is not a very good proxy for the total number of non-citizens who vote.  It could be a handful, it could be tons, at this point there's no easy way to know.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 19, 2013, 08:21:29 AM
Surely even opponents of this sort of law can see that the number of non-citizens caught voting by a system that requires no proof is not a very good proxy for the total number of non-citizens who vote.  It could be a handful, it could be tons, at this point there's no easy way to know.

If there isn't evidence of a problem - why take steps to correct it?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.