Sono inglesi. Dove il la pizza? (aka. Tyr goes to Italy)

Started by Josquius, June 16, 2013, 09:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Yeah... what are the things you did and saw in Rome?

Josquius

I've been to the  colloseum,  where I had a  little nap, walked around circus maximus and the various ruins round there- though not inside. Didn't even notice a door to the inside those. Wonder how that works. Been to the papal castle whose name I never remember, and visited the various central plazas, fountains, pantheon, steps of "I don't get it", etc...
No St Pete's yet or bone church. But otherwise unless my tourist map is missing a lot I really think 3 days would be enough for Rome

Quote from: Razgovory on August 08, 2013, 09:15:05 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on August 08, 2013, 08:57:38 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 08, 2013, 08:52:50 AM
Really? You've seen all there is to see in Rome in just 1.5 days? :huh:

Yeah, that was my thought too...

Also, "sad to see how the Christians raped Rome"? I don't understand this...the appeal of Rome is one part the ancient ruins and one part the fact that for ~2k years it has been the center of western christianity.

This is the same person who said this

QuoteOh god I hate christians in Japan. They're such parasites. Trying to draw people in with the free English classes then subverting their lovely native beliefs with Jewish fairy stories.
I recall a big fuss here a few weeks ago when one person currently based in America heard a relative/old friend (can't recall which) here was on death's door and they wanted a christian to go and spread their faith to him. That's just low.
:huh: and?
Christians in Japan do need shooting.

Quote from: The Larch on August 08, 2013, 09:51:49 AM

I just can't believe that you've seen everything in such a short time.

And the main block for new subway development is not popular oposition, but the fact that if you dig a couple of meters in the ground anywhere in Rome you're going to find archeological remains that are going to stop whatever you're working at. It's the same reason why there aren't any really tall buildings in the center of the city.
That's what I thought. There's a lot of stop metro c graffiti and protest banners about though
██████
██████
██████

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on August 08, 2013, 11:48:17 AM
When I spent an evening, and following morning, in Lichtenstein, I could safely feel like I did everything I wanted to do there.

Rome in a day and a half though?  No fucking way.

What was the draw to Liechtenstein?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jacob

Perhaps, Tyr, the issue is that you need a better tourist map?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

FunkMonk

The most fun I had in Rome was when we'd get lost in the city and have to figure out our way back.

Just get lost Tyr.  :P
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 08, 2013, 04:04:33 PM
The most fun I had in Rome was when we'd get lost in the city and have to figure out our way back.

Just get lost Tyr.  :

I did that when I first arrived. It was quite horrible and scary. Life without GPS is terrifying
Plus this is the middle of Summer and I seem to have walking problems.

Much of it is probably me. I'm in pain and stressed out about whether  I have a future or not. But so  far Rome wouldn't rank as such a great place.
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on August 08, 2013, 03:41:08 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 08, 2013, 11:48:17 AM
When I spent an evening, and following morning, in Lichtenstein, I could safely feel like I did everything I wanted to do there.

Rome in a day and a half though?  No fucking way.

What was the draw to Liechtenstein?

We were in Vienna, working our way back to Frankfurt to catch our return flight home (we'd been through Prague, Cracow and Budapest previously).  We decided to drive to Salzburg and stay there for the day, then drive to Lichtenstein, stay there for the day, and then finally drive to Frankfurt.

So - we were in the neighborhood, it was convenient, and we could say we've been to Lichtenstein.  I don't necessarily regret going there, but it really is just a small, out of the way tax haven.  After having seen the Liechtenstein National Museum I can officially tell you that nothing of any historical significance actually happened there.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

So you should: take the metro somewhere, throw away that useless map, eat a lot of ice cream, drink some espresso, then try and find your way home.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Jesus fucking tap dancing Christ, Tyr, do you ever have fun? You're in one of the most beautiful and breath taking cities in the world and you only have regrets and complaints. Your attitude sucks.

mongers

Quote from: Tyr on August 08, 2013, 04:09:30 PM

Just get lost Tyr.  :

I did that when I first arrived. It was quite horrible and scary. Life without GPS is terrifying

Much of it is probably me. I'm in pain and stressed out about whether  I have a future or not. But so  far Rome wouldn't rank as such a great place.

That's your problem here, GPS is for getting places (faster), maps are for exploring.   

I'd agree with Jacob and Garbon, get a better map; there must be a good bookshop or two in central Rome that'll have a good map selection, browse those and find one that fits you.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

Quote from: Tyr on August 08, 2013, 04:09:30 PM

Just get lost Tyr.  :

Tyr, first, Rome (and Italy in general) are great places to visit for food, lifestyle, etc. Finding a cafe and spending several hours over lunch with a bottle of wine is not a bad decision. Repeating at dinner time is not a bad decision either.

Second, there are so many historic sites in Rome--arguably more than any other city in the world. I assume you are a history nerd (I think we all are), here are a few ideas:
-visit the major basilicas and other churches in the area (in addition to St. Peter's)
-go through the Roman Forum & Imperial Fora
-visit some early christian catacombs
-walk the remains of the ancient roman walls
-visit hadrian's villa/tivoli
-walk the beginning of the Appian Way

Third, there are a lot of museums--while I generally think some museums in Italy suck in presentation (and the Vatican Museums in particular), the collections easily overcome those shortcomings.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jacob

Did you check out the catacombs? The shrine to pope Joan?

Are you planning to check out the nightlife?

Do you have any eating plans?

Drinking?

Some quick google links for you:

http://www.timeout.com/rome/features/51/20-great-things-to-do-in-rome
http://www.elitetraveler.com/destination-guides/europe/rome/the-9-best-things-to-do-at-night-in-rome

Maybe pick up a copy of Time Out Rome and see if there are any current exhibits, cultural events or other things going on.

crazy canuck

The last time I was in Rome I was there 5 days and I wished I had been there for two weeks.  I just can't relate Tyr.  You are definitely doing something wrong.

It sounds like you are approaching this like an amusement park where you tick off all the rides you want to go on as efficiently as you can.  This is not Disneyland.  Travelling in a great city isnt like that.  You need to experience it.  The advice about getting lost is good.  Just wander around.  When you get tired find a nice little place to have some coffee/wine/gelato/whatever the hell they are serving that you have never had before and just enjoy.

If you see a lot of tourists go in the other direction.  If you see a lot of Italians go there.