Sono inglesi. Dove il la pizza? (aka. Tyr goes to Italy)

Started by Josquius, June 16, 2013, 09:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on August 08, 2013, 08:52:50 AM
Really? You've seen all there is to see in Rome in just 1.5 days? :huh:

Yeah, that was my thought too...

Also, "sad to see how the Christians raped Rome"? I don't understand this...the appeal of Rome is one part the ancient ruins and one part the fact that for ~2k years it has been the center of western christianity.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on August 08, 2013, 08:57:38 AM
Also, "sad to see how the Christians raped Rome"? I don't understand this...the appeal of Rome is one part the ancient ruins and one part the fact that for ~2k years it has been the center of western christianity.

Indeed!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

I was  mainly thinking of the pantheon there. It is a very sad place. They took an amazing temple and tried  to turn it into a McChurch.

██████
██████
██████

garbon

The pantheon would probably be in disrepair if it wasn't a church.

On wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheon,_Rome
QuoteThe building's consecration as a church saved it from the abandonment, destruction, and the worst of the spoliation that befell the majority of ancient Rome's buildings during the early medieval period.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on August 08, 2013, 08:57:38 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 08, 2013, 08:52:50 AM
Really? You've seen all there is to see in Rome in just 1.5 days? :huh:

Yeah, that was my thought too...

This is the same person who said this

QuoteOh god I hate christians in Japan. They're such parasites. Trying to draw people in with the free English classes then subverting their lovely native beliefs with Jewish fairy stories.
I recall a big fuss here a few weeks ago when one person currently based in America heard a relative/old friend (can't recall which) here was on death's door and they wanted a christian to go and spread their faith to him. That's just low.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on August 08, 2013, 08:44:40 AM
I think I made a mistake in 4 nights in Rome. Second day now, though yesterday was just half  a day, and despite taking it somewhat easy I've seen most of what there is.
I've yet to go to the Vatican and my colloseum ticket let's me inside the forum too (wouldn't have bought that seperately. Saw most of what there was from outside)

So...Rome...Not half as busy with tourists as expected and many of those that there are speak Italian. The tourist areas are well kept and nice but around them, even  a little way outside their bubble, the place is dirty and covered ingrafiti. Beggars everywhere. Why do the locals object to the metro extension so much? Seems silly. But then  the metro is rather silly.

What is odd is how hot I feel. I have been living somewhere hot but this feels...hotter

It is quite amazing what  Amish mash of periods the city is. Though kind of sad to see how the Christians raped Rome.

I don't know what to do with my last day here. Hmm

I just can't believe that you've seen everything in such a short time.

And the main block for new subway development is not popular oposition, but the fact that if you dig a couple of meters in the ground anywhere in Rome you're going to find archeological remains that are going to stop whatever you're working at. It's the same reason why there aren't any really tall buildings in the center of the city.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on August 08, 2013, 09:05:28 AM
The pantheon would probably be in disrepair if it wasn't a church.

On wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheon,_Rome
QuoteThe building's consecration as a church saved it from the abandonment, destruction, and the worst of the spoliation that befell the majority of ancient Rome's buildings during the early medieval period.

Yeah, major ancient buildings almost all got repurposed. Either the original structure was used for something new, or the original structure was dismantled to supply building materials for something else.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

crazy canuck

Take in the markets. Buy some bread, cheese and fruit and just chill out for a while.  Visiting places like Rome isnt a sprint.

The Larch

Plenty of things can be done in Rome when you have the time. Buy an icecream and sit in a small square to taste it, grab a beer and sit in the Spanish Steps watching hot tourists in skimpy clothing, get lost in the alleys around Trevi...

Maladict

Quote from: Tyr on August 08, 2013, 08:44:40 AM
Second day now, though yesterday was just half  a day, and despite taking it somewhat easy I've seen most of what there is.

:wacko:

I don't know what to do with my last day here. Hmm

I thought you were planning to visit EUR? Don't tell me that was part of the 1.5 days  :lol:

Valmy

Tyr must vacation like the typical type A American tourist:

'We hit everything on the checklist in just 8 hours!  On to Belgium.'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on August 08, 2013, 10:53:33 AM
Tyr must vacation like the typical type A American tourist:

'We hit everything on the checklist in just 8 hours!  On to Belgium.'

If you can do Rome in a day and a half, Belgium shouldn't take much more than 30 minutes. :P

Barrister

When I spent an evening, and following morning, in Lichtenstein, I could safely feel like I did everything I wanted to do there.

Rome in a day and a half though?  No fucking way. 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.