Sono inglesi. Dove il la pizza? (aka. Tyr goes to Italy)

Started by Josquius, June 16, 2013, 09:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

LaCroix

Quote from: The Larch on July 03, 2013, 03:42:38 AM
If you hate Rome you hate Life.  -_-

that's just what i remember from the 3-4 days i spent there years back. whereas the other destinations we visited felt full of life, rome just seemed like this disgusting, nasty city that had a depressive atmosphere. not to mention the anarchy graffiti everywhere

The Larch

Quote from: LaCroix on July 03, 2013, 03:49:03 AM
Quote from: The Larch on July 03, 2013, 03:42:38 AM
If you hate Rome you hate Life.  -_-

that's just what i remember from the 3-4 days i spent there years back. whereas the other destinations we visited felt full of life, rome just seemed like this disgusting, nasty city that had a depressive atmosphere. not to mention the anarchy graffiti everywhere

What is puzzling for me is the combination of hating Rome but loving Naples. A bit mind boggling.

LaCroix

Quote from: The Larch on July 03, 2013, 03:56:27 AMWhat is puzzling for me is the combination of hating Rome but loving Naples. A bit mind boggling.

could be influenced by having stayed on the outskirts rather than venturing much into the city itself

The Larch

Quote from: LaCroix on July 03, 2013, 03:59:57 AM
Quote from: The Larch on July 03, 2013, 03:56:27 AMWhat is puzzling for me is the combination of hating Rome but loving Naples. A bit mind boggling.

could be influenced by having stayed on the outskirts rather than venturing much into the city itself

Everybody I know that has been in Naples told me that the city is 1/4 gorgeous and 3/4 terrifying, all mixed up. You must have stayed only in the gorgeous part.  :lol:

Razgovory

Quote from: LaCroix on July 03, 2013, 03:40:10 AM
i hated rome, what a godawful city. some sights were fun, but much of it felt like a serious waste of time in a dirty, modern city. naples was the best for atmosphere, with the historic center in florence and venice island very worth a visit, too

I thought Naples was an extremely ugly city.  You could tell that Southern Italy is much poorer then the North going there.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

I'm scared of Naples, I've heard too much about crime. Which has me slightly worried about Rome too!

At the moment I'm looking at:

Rome: 7-11
Orvieto: stop off on the 11th
Siena: 11th-12th
Florence: 13th-15th
Verona: 16th
Padua: 17th (Sat, there will be mini-skirts?)
Venice: 18th-20th
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Sorrento is nice, you can catch a boat to Capri from there and it's close to Pompei.  It's fairly close to Naples.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

Keep a tight grip on your wallet in Rome, the other places should be ok re pickpocketing.

Pedrito

Quote from: Tyr on July 11, 2013, 10:02:06 PM
I'm scared of Naples, I've heard too much about crime. Which has me slightly worried about Rome too!

At the moment I'm looking at:

Rome: 7-11
Orvieto: stop off on the 11th
Siena: 11th-12th
Florence: 13th-15th
Verona: 16th
Padua: 17th (Sat, there will be mini-skirts?)
Venice: 18th-20th

Naples is wonderful, you shouldn't be scared about crime. You're programming a visit to *Italy*, do you remember?  ;)

Rome, four days, ok. Go visit the Vatican Museums and the Sistine CHapel and St. Peter. Go to Piazza Navona; Piazza di Spagna is unbelievably crowded, but it's a sight to see. The Fora and Pantheon are spectacular. Caracalla's Thermae are very interesting too. If you love fascist era architecture, pay a visit to the EUR neighborhood, it's been built for a never happened Expo in the Thirties and it's interesting too.
Orvieto, :thumbsup:
Siena, two days are maybe too much, but you can easily detour to San Gimignano if you've finished visiting Siena. Visit the Cathedral :wub:, Piazza del Campo, the sanctuary of Santa Caterina, Saint Patron of the city. Visit the museum of Contrada Dell'Oca (Goose Ward), one of the historical districts that race in the Palio of SIena (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palio_di_Siena); the Oca just won the Palio of July, 2nd, and the neighborhood is probably still celebrating (the museum is near St. Catherine's Oratory. Tidbit: St. Catherine was born in the Oca ward.
Florence: it will be CROWDED! Go to the Uffizi museum, to Ponte Vecchio, to Palazzo Vecchio, to the Boboli Gardens.
Verona: the Arena! Stroll along the Adige river, visit the Church of San Zeno.
Padua: miniskirts will abound, Pedrito will miss  :( Not a bad exchange, let me say. Will you be sleeping in town? One of the main advantages of Padua during the summer (and the winter,but for opposite reasons) is that many, many of the streets are lined with arcades that protect from the summer sun. Stick to the centre, visit the Scrovegni's Chapel (Advanced booking needed!), the Palazzo della Ragione (enormous vaulted hall top, delicacies market bottom), The university cloister (all walls covered in insignia of medieval era students who graduated there, very near to Palazzo della Ragione); I personally don't like the Church of St. Anthony, but everyone wants to see it and the bones of the saint. Go to Prato della Valle, take a stroll around, go to Gelateria Pancera, cream your pants with the best ice cream in town, go to the island, sit on the grass and watch the sunset. Then, return to Piazza dei Signori, near Palazzo della Ragione, and sit at one of the 273465 bar tables, order a Spritz Campari and sip it while watching some of the local beauties. If you happen to visit the Church of St. Sophia, you'll be, well, about 30 meters from my home  :D
Ask everything you want about the city and I can answer.
Venice: Already said many things in previous posts.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

garbon

Quote from: Pedrito on July 12, 2013, 07:34:06 AM
Florence: it will be CROWDED! Go to the Uffizi museum, to Ponte Vecchio, to Palazzo Vecchio, to the Boboli Gardens.

What about the Duomo/Baptistery?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Pedrito

Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2013, 08:35:15 AM

WHOOPS  :blush:

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Josquius

Its not two days in Siena, the first is just sleeping there after spending the  day travelling from Rome via Orvieto.
I plan to stay in Padua yeah. I'll be staying in all the places excep Orvieto. So I should aim to stay as close to this Palazzo della Ragione as possible?

Fascist stuff ey. :hmm: I do like stepping outside the normal tourist trail....
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Pedrito on July 12, 2013, 08:48:15 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2013, 08:35:15 AM

WHOOPS  :blush:

L.

Yeah just one of the most iconic spots. :D

Also, I'd throw in (well I don't know its name) but the overlook near Giardino delle Rose. Lovely view of Florence.

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2013, 09:02:49 AM
Yeah just one of the most iconic spots. :D

Also, I'd throw in (well I don't know its name) but the overlook near Giardino delle Rose. Lovely view of Florence.

Jesus garbon, SPOLIER ALERT, please??  :mad:  Better take Florence off your list now, Jos.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)