Sono inglesi. Dove il la pizza? (aka. Tyr goes to Italy)

Started by Josquius, June 16, 2013, 09:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Phillip V on June 16, 2013, 10:20:22 PM
I only get 10 paid days off (that includes sickness, vacation, etc). America hates leisure for workers. :(

Now that I hit my 8th year at my company I think I get 30 now.  And I think I have a 4-week sabbatical coming to me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 17, 2013, 03:59:20 PM
Quote from: The Larch on June 17, 2013, 03:41:35 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 17, 2013, 03:06:13 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 17, 2013, 02:17:10 AM
If you go to Venice then try and get up early in the morning to visit the central sites. In the afternoon you can go on trips to the outer islands or explore the less populated parts of the city. Like anywhere else 90% of the tourists mill about the same old places at the same old times, I would imagine that St Marks square at 1pm in August is horrible beyond belief.

Agreed.  Also dont stay in Venice as it is ridiculously expensive.

That means you have to find a way there.  Most people go on mass transit type ships that travel from the massive car park on the main land to the main docks in Venice.  This would be a mistake.  Although it is cheap it is also time consuming as you wait for a boat to take you.  Also on the way back there are huge lineups for the return trip.  Much better to purchase a ride on one of the numerous private boat operators that will take you over immediately.  That way you get more time to see the sites ahead of the big crush of tourists and when you are hot and tired at the end of the day it is a very pleasant way to return - avoiding the huge lineups.

It will be money well spent and you will thank me by sending me a bottle of wine.

Umm, when were you in Venice? There's a bridge between it and the mainland, you can go there by bus from Mestre.

I didnt even try for the bus as I saw the long lines for that too.  I assume you do know about that really really large structure on the mainland side that has thousands of cars parked in it. :P

I never had a problem with the bus when I went there. :p

He'll have bigger problems on his trip than that, like the whole country stopping to a standstill because it's closing down for holidays.  :lol:

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Larch on June 17, 2013, 04:45:51 PM
He'll have bigger problems on his trip than that, like the whole country stopping to a standstill because it's closing down for holidays.  :lol:

Yeah, that on top of the heat makes it a less than appealing location during that time.  But at least he will have a nice boat ride out of the deal. :)

Josquius

San Gimignano isn't worth it ey?
But it looks so pretty and old....there's only a few significant buildings and all the photos are arranged to make the most out of them?

When? Why?

I would like to go at a more sensible time...but August is when I'm to be unemployed and back in Europe.
██████
██████
██████

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on June 17, 2013, 07:18:46 PM
But it looks so pretty and old....there's only a few significant buildings and all the photos are arranged to make the most out of them?

When? Why?

I would like to go at a more sensible time...but August is when I'm to be unemployed and back in Europe.

Why not go north instead.  There are some very nice beaches up in Scandiland.

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 17, 2013, 07:25:01 PM

Why not go north instead.  There are some very nice beaches up in Scandiland.
I have been considering Oslo for a music festival there. But...its expensive and I've already been to Sweden. Looking more for historic architecture than pretty nature too, particularly since I won't be driving.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

San Gimignano is a cute little town, perfectly idylic and bucolic, only it's not the most exciting of places. You can visit as a day trip from Siena or Florence, but don't devote a whole day to it.

When? Why?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferragosto

It's an Italian national holiday in the middle of august. The whole country closes shop for the summer and cities get deserted for a couple of weeks. Tipically Italians would take the whole month off, nowadays it's a couple of weeks at most. Expect plenty of places to be closed.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on June 17, 2013, 07:35:29 PM
It's an Italian national holiday in the middle of august. The whole country closes shop for the summer and cities get deserted for a couple of weeks. Tipically Italians would take the whole month off, nowadays it's a couple of weeks at most. Expect plenty of places to be closed.
I saw that on wiki, it says little about the modern holiday, I don't quite get it.
So...we're looking at the entire country being crazily closed even the tourist stuff? Public transport still runs? Will I starve?
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on June 17, 2013, 07:40:42 PMSo...we're looking at the entire country being crazily closed even the tourist stuff?

More or less that, yeah. Some friends of mine happened to be in Milan on the day itself last year and they had to search for hours for an open restaurant in the city center.

Josquius

Holy poo. What dates is it?
Might have to go elsewhere. So long Italy dream :(
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on June 17, 2013, 07:50:56 PM
Holy poo. What dates is it?
Might have to go elsewhere. So long Italy dream :(

15th of August. Pedrito could explain it better for you but he doesn't post much anymore. That's what I was always told, cities get deserted and everybody goes to the beach or to the countryside. On the day itself don't expect almost anything private to be open, but public services will still run, albeit in a probably reduced fashion. You could probably work around it, though, but it's not the best time of the year to visit the country.

PS: This might be anecdotical, but you could check this film to get an idea:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pranzo_di_ferragosto

Phillip V

Quote from: derspiess on June 17, 2013, 04:33:33 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on June 16, 2013, 10:20:22 PM
I only get 10 paid days off (that includes sickness, vacation, etc). America hates leisure for workers. :(

Now that I hit my 8th year at my company I think I get 30 now.  And I think I have a 4-week sabbatical coming to me.

The goal is to find a position in a nice location where I am well-compensated with upward mobility and then homestead, but I only see further job-hopping for this decade.

Barrister

As I mentioned - San Gimignano was my favourite day of the entire Italy trip - which included Rome, Venice (and Cortina of course).  It was absolutely delightful there.

But... it depends what you're looking for.  It was very low key.  The historic towers - well they're just old towers.  We went up them and looked at the sights.  But there is absolutely nothing to compare to the big cities in terms of the history and artwork.  I loved my time there - because we just walked around an old Tuscan town, ate some gelato and drank some wine.

It depends what you want.  It absolutely is pretty and old.  It's just not exciting.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Pedrito

As previously stated, the week around Ferragosto (August 15th) is probably the worst period to visit Italy. The situation is changed from some years ago, when the big cities were completely empty and closed, but still many places will be closed. You'll find to eat, don't worry.
Touristy spots will be at full regime, though, so if you plan to visit Florence the 15th it should be ok. Simply, don't have too much faith in public transports, they will run at reduced frequency.

SOme suggestions: drop Ferrara and go to Verona: much nicer, a little cooler in the summer; drop Vicenza, almost nothing to see there, instead go to Padua: I almost certainly will be on holiday (you know, Ferragosto and all  :P) so won't be there to meet you, and this isn't necessarily bad, but the place is nice and, being a university city, there's plenty of places to go to drink something around the uni area, even in the middle of summer.

Everywhere, expect very hot, humid weather; being the nordic you are, bathe in sunscreen before your walks, or you'll end lobster-colored in no time.
Keep your wallet in the front pocket, and look at girls, not at monuments.

Please, please, please, don't take the picture of yourself keeping the tower of Pisa from falling.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot: