Sono inglesi. Dove il la pizza? (aka. Tyr goes to Italy)

Started by Josquius, June 16, 2013, 09:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

As I've muttered on the ott I think I'm going to be going to Italy for a little trip over summer.
I'm looking at booking things now and I think I'll be taking just under two weeks.
Yes. Its stupid to go in the middle of August. It'll be hot, crowded, etc.... But August will be my on my only free time before its back to the world of employment in Japan (I hope, not confirmed yet...).

At the moment in my complete ignorance of the country and what is worth seeing I'm looking at:

7th-10th: Rome
11th: Siena
12th: San Gimignano
13th-15th: Florence
16th: Ferrara or Verona
17th: Vicenza or Padua
18th & 19th: Venice
20th: Fly home in the morning

Venice in particular is a worry. I hear it is grossly over-crowded and smelly, particularly in August. I wasn't planning on going there this trip, though I do really want to see it sometime, but the flights from there seem convenient (it being the middle of summer flights aren't as cheap as I thought they would be).
I was wanthing to go to Urbino and San Marino but that seems impractical and going to the east coast is best kept for a seperate trip.
Getting into another country briefly was also considered (getting into France and ticking Monaco off my list of places visited was so tempting) but due to the higher flight costs is impractical.

So.
Suggestions of stuff that must be seen in Italy (that would work for me, I shant be going down to Naples) and things to avoid?
██████
██████
██████

Barrister

I didn't know that San Gimignano would rate that highly on a list of places to go.  My wife and I spent a day there just because we wanted to go someplace out of the way in Tuscany.

It was absolutely delightful for what its worth, but more so in the way that a married couple gets to relax, walk around, and eat gelato and drink wine, not so much for a 20-something.  But it was probably our favourite day out of the whole trip (and I really enjoyed that trip).

Venice - totally worth it.  Go.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Phillip V

I only get 10 paid days off (that includes sickness, vacation, etc). America hates leisure for workers. :(

katmai

Quote from: Phillip V on June 16, 2013, 10:20:22 PM
I only get 10 paid days off (that includes sickness, vacation, etc). America hates leisure for workers. :(

Sucker!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Maladict

Like BB said, ditch San Gimignano and pick a more interesting place like Orvieto instead. Or add a day in Venice.
Ferrara/Verona and Vicenza/Padua are fine choices, Verona and Padua probably being the more accessible and lively places.

Richard Hakluyt

If you go to Venice then try and get up early in the morning to visit the central sites. In the afternoon you can go on trips to the outer islands or explore the less populated parts of the city. Like anywhere else 90% of the tourists mill about the same old places at the same old times, I would imagine that St Marks square at 1pm in August is horrible beyond belief.

The Larch

FunkMonk

Languishites going to Italy seems to be a theme now. :hmm:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Zanza

Quote from: Phillip V on June 16, 2013, 10:20:22 PM

I feel your pain.

Oh, no, wait ... I actually don't. I am not really sure what I can do with all my vacation days this year...  :blush:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 17, 2013, 02:17:10 AM
If you go to Venice then try and get up early in the morning to visit the central sites. In the afternoon you can go on trips to the outer islands or explore the less populated parts of the city. Like anywhere else 90% of the tourists mill about the same old places at the same old times, I would imagine that St Marks square at 1pm in August is horrible beyond belief.

Agreed.  Also dont stay in Venice as it is ridiculously expensive.

That means you have to find a way there.  Most people go on mass transit type ships that travel from the massive car park on the main land to the main docks in Venice.  This would be a mistake.  Although it is cheap it is also time consuming as you wait for a boat to take you.  Also on the way back there are huge lineups for the return trip.  Much better to purchase a ride on one of the numerous private boat operators that will take you over immediately.  That way you get more time to see the sites ahead of the big crush of tourists and when you are hot and tired at the end of the day it is a very pleasant way to return - avoiding the huge lineups.

It will be money well spent and you will thank me by sending me a bottle of wine.

The Larch

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 17, 2013, 03:06:13 PM

That means you have to find a way there.  Most people go on mass transit type ships that travel from the massive car park on the main land to the main docks in Venice.  This would be a mistake.  Although it is cheap it is also time consuming as you wait for a boat to take you.  Also on the way back there are huge lineups for the return trip.  Much better to purchase a ride on one of the numerous private boat operators that will take you over immediately.  That way you get more time to see the sites ahead of the big crush of tourists and when you are hot and tired at the end of the day it is a very pleasant way to return - avoiding the huge lineups.

It will be money well spent and you will thank me by sending me a bottle of wine.

Umm, when were you in Venice? There's a bridge between it and the mainland, you can go there by bus from Mestre.

Admiral Yi

I stayed in a pensione by the railway station and walked in.

Jacob

Yeah, you'll want to see the sights in the morning before the cruise ship tours unload.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Larch on June 17, 2013, 03:41:35 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 17, 2013, 03:06:13 PM

Umm, when were you in Venice? There's a bridge between it and the mainland, you can go there by bus from Mestre.

I didnt even try for the bus as I saw the long lines for that too.  I assume you do know about that really really large structure on the mainland side that has thousands of cars parked in it. :P

Barrister

I dunno - I think I'd pay the extra $$$ to stay in Venice itself.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.