News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Quebec Soccer Federation's Ban on Turbans

Started by Malthus, June 14, 2013, 11:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on June 15, 2013, 10:59:32 PM
I got it - you're all for religious freedom as long as it doesn't actually mean anything. :thumbsup:
I do belive that religion is only meaningful for individuals, not societies, yes.  I do belive that a society based in laïcité is better than theocracy, yes.

If that makes me intolerant, I will accept it.

I'm willing to concede some points to the dominant culture of a country.  Crucifix, for example, that are placed alongside roads to denote the deaths.  I'd be opposed to moon crescent though.  Just like I'd be opposed to building a shopping centre in front of my house.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on June 16, 2013, 01:39:29 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 15, 2013, 10:59:32 PM
I got it - you're all for religious freedom as long as it doesn't actually mean anything. :thumbsup:
I do belive that religion is only meaningful for individuals, not societies, yes.  I do belive that a society based in laïcité is better than theocracy, yes.

If that makes me intolerant, I will accept it.

I'm willing to concede some points to the dominant culture of a country.  Crucifix, for example, that are placed alongside roads to denote the deaths.  I'd be opposed to moon crescent though.  Just like I'd be opposed to building a shopping centre in front of my house.

I suppose if a Sikh can wear a turban, it's a theocracy. :rolleyes:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: Iormlund on June 16, 2013, 02:15:12 PM
If nobody else can. it is.

Easy mistake to make, but there's a difference between theocracy and turbanocracy.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

I'd love to see a Pastafarian challenge the rule.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Malthus on June 14, 2013, 11:38:22 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 14, 2013, 11:33:02 AM
It's not Quebec's ban it's FIFA's ban.

The Canadian Soccer Association is the one not respecting the rules.

Also, what Jab?

The article is about how the Quebec politicians are supporting the Quebec soccar federation on this.

The "jab" was him claiming I have massive problems with Quebec, or something, which I presumably need to get over before I can comment on the French veil thing. I decided I needed to do something to prove him right.  :D

Thanks. :) Not "massive", some bias definitively, it's one of your pet peeves, shall we say. Less so than the Anglo-Canadian press which does it for a living, it seems.

Grallon

Quote from: Jacob on June 16, 2013, 12:22:04 AM
It's kind of funny (meaning sad) to see Quebecois rail against multiculturalism, since multiculturalism was essentially instituted for the sake of Quebec, to explicitly disavow any attempts to assimilate the French in Canada.

You fail at understanding the real purpose of the Canadian variant of multiculturalism.  It was designed to undermine Quebec nationalism.  In other words to de precisely what you think it was meant to prevent: accelerate assimilation.  If every group is nothing more than a minority within Canada then the national identity of Quebecers can be diluted and thus their legitimate aspirations dismissed.  And Canadians have absorbed this so well they keep being annoyed by the fact we do not accept this minority role they want us to play.  The problem lies in that there are too many Quebecers like Viper here - sitting on the fence - who can't make their mind to leave.  One can't keep one's cake and it it too.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

viper37

It's kind of funny (meaning sad) to see Quebecois rail against multiculturalism, since multiculturalism was essentially instituted for the sake of Quebec, to explicitly disavow any attempts to assimilate the French in Canada.

On January 29, 1990, Sault Ste. Marie became a flashpoint in the Meech Lake Accord constitutional debate when council passed a resolution declaring English the city's official language[13] and the sole language for provision of municipal services.[14] The Sault Ste. Marie language resolution was not the first of its kind in Ontario, but because Sault Ste. Marie was the largest municipality to have passed such a resolution and the first to do so although it had a sizable Franco-Ontarian population,[15] the council's action was very controversial. Many objections were raised by the French-speaking population.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sault_Ste._Marie,_Ontario#History

See also: Thunderbay.
See also: Quebec flag burning.

By comparison, Quebec asks that cities with less than 50% english population do not provide de facto bilingual communications but offer it upon request only.  And for that, we are intolerant of our english minority.

I can imagine Montreal or Laval declaring itself unilingual French and refusing services in English... oh that'd sure go well in english canadian medias...  They would certainly say it makes sense, just like 'Soo' and Thunderbay and so many Ontarian cities...  They would say we don't have to offer services to fringe minority, that we are wise&well to take steps to save money, to properly manage our finances...  I can imagine the praise coming from the National Post and the Globe&Mail.  Can you? :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on June 17, 2013, 11:00:04 AM

On January 29, 1990, Sault Ste. Marie became a flashpoint in the Meech Lake Accord constitutional debate when council passed a resolution declaring English the city's official language[13] and the sole language for provision of municipal services.[14] The Sault Ste. Marie language resolution was not the first of its kind in Ontario, but because Sault Ste. Marie was the largest municipality to have passed such a resolution and the first to do so although it had a sizable Franco-Ontarian population,[15] the council's action was very controversial. Many objections were raised by the French-speaking population.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sault_Ste._Marie,_Ontario#History

See also: Thunderbay.
See also: Quebec flag burning.

By comparison, Quebec asks that cities with less than 50% english population do not provide de facto bilingual communications but offer it upon request only.  And for that, we are intolerant of our english minority.

I can imagine Montreal or Laval declaring itself unilingual French and refusing services in English... oh that'd sure go well in english canadian medias...  They would certainly say it makes sense, just like 'Soo' and Thunderbay and so many Ontarian cities...  They would say we don't have to offer services to fringe minority, that we are wise&well to take steps to save money, to properly manage our finances...  I can imagine the praise coming from the National Post and the Globe&Mail.  Can you? :)

I'm confused as to how that relates to what Jacob said. Grallon's addresses it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Grallon on June 17, 2013, 07:19:50 AM
You fail at understanding the real purpose of the Canadian variant of multiculturalism.  It was designed to undermine Quebec nationalism.  In other words to de precisely what you think it was meant to prevent: accelerate assimilation. 

It's the sinister: 'being nice and accomodating to destroy us' plot.  :hmm:

Actually, you have a bit of a point: nothing is better for maintaining in-group identity than persecution by the majority, and nothing so corrosive to group identity as lack of persecution. Which is exactly why Quebec seperatists are so ready to claim they are being insulted and humiliated - and to treasure each and every such humiliation. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

Quote from: garbon on June 17, 2013, 11:08:27 AM
I'm confused as to how that relates to what Jacob said. Grallon's addresses it.
I gave an example on how multiculruralism is supposed to protect the french minority in this country.  Or rather an example on how it doesn't change anything.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on June 17, 2013, 11:40:37 AM
Quote from: Grallon on June 17, 2013, 07:19:50 AM
You fail at understanding the real purpose of the Canadian variant of multiculturalism.  It was designed to undermine Quebec nationalism.  In other words to de precisely what you think it was meant to prevent: accelerate assimilation. 

It's the sinister: 'being nice and accomodating to destroy us' plot.  :hmm:

Actually, you have a bit of a point: nothing is better for maintaining in-group identity than persecution by the majority, and nothing so corrosive to group identity as lack of persecution. Which is exactly why Quebec seperatists are so ready to claim they are being insulted and humiliated - and to treasure each and every such humiliation. 
Malthus, if Montreal was to declare itself unilingual french, refusing to communicate in english with its minority, how do you think the Canadians outside Quebec would react?