News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Quebec Soccer Federation's Ban on Turbans

Started by Malthus, June 14, 2013, 11:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

In line with Duque de Bragança's thread on the French law banning face coverings (and his jabs at me about Quebec  ;) ), what does Languish think of the Quebec rule banning turbans from soccer?

QuoteThe debate began earlier this month when the Quebec Soccer Federation, the association responsible for organized leagues of all ages, banned Sikh headwear from its competitions.

The association cited safety concerns as its rather dubious justification; no dangers are known and none proven.

QSF director Brigitte Frot followed up with the suggestion that players left on the sidelines for sporting the headwear could play among themselves in their own backyards, adding, somewhat officiously, without the assistance of any official referees.

The ruling was controversial and criticized for being senseless, ridiculous and, some argued, outright prejudiced. But none of those objections seemed to matter to Premier Marois and the Parti Québécois this week.

On Monday, the Canadian Soccer Association gave the Quebec federation a dose of its own medicine, and suspended the provincial body. Until further notice, Quebec leagues will not be allowed to compete in any national tournaments.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2013/06/12/f-vp-gagnon-quebec-soccer-turbans.html
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

It's not Quebec's ban it's FIFA's ban.

The Canadian Soccer Association is the one not respecting the rules.

Also, what Jab?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 14, 2013, 11:33:02 AM

Wow!

Is that the spin this is getting in your Province.  It is utter Bullshit.  The FIFA rule gives refs the discretion to remove unsafe headgear.  There is no FIFA ban on turbans.  In fact once FIFA learned the Quebec association was using the FIFA rule as a justification this happened:

QuoteFIFA authorizes wearing of turbans at all levels of Canadian soccer

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/soccer/fifa-authorizes-wearing-of-turbans-at-all-levels-of-canadian-soccer/article12550476/

I understand the Quebec association has now backed down.  The premier now looks really stupid for backing this right - or is that just when opposition parties try to protect minority rights  :hmm:

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 14, 2013, 11:33:02 AM

The Canadian Soccer Association is the one not respecting the rules.

Also, what Jab?

The article is about how the Quebec politicians are supporting the Quebec soccar federation on this.

The "jab" was him claiming I have massive problems with Quebec, or something, which I presumably need to get over before I can comment on the French veil thing. I decided I needed to do something to prove him right.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

@CC She doesn't care about the rule. She cares that the Quebec Association gets to dictate the rules in the province & was pissed off at the Canadian association being a bunch of pussies about it.

I think it's a stupid ban from the FSQ & that the Canadian Association has no right to ban members.

Josephus

FIFA approves turbans, the only requirement being that the colour match the team jersey.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 14, 2013, 11:41:13 AM
I think it's a stupid ban from the FSQ & that the Canadian Association has no right to ban members.

Sure they can :huh:

FunkMonk

When I was a kid one of the players on our soccer team was Sikh. He was also one of the best headers of the ball in the league so we attributed it to the magical power of his turban.  :D
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Malthus

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 14, 2013, 01:06:56 PM
When I was a kid one of the players on our soccer team was Sikh. He was also one of the best headers of the ball in the league so we attributed it to the magical power of his turban.  :D

They hide springs in there. Outta be outlawed.  :mad:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 14, 2013, 12:14:37 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 14, 2013, 11:41:13 AM

Sure they can :huh:

Bah, it's Bullshit, they totally overstep their mandate.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 14, 2013, 01:29:21 PMBah, it's Bullshit, they totally overstep their mandate.

What's their mandate?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Jacob on June 14, 2013, 01:31:39 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on June 14, 2013, 01:29:21 PMBah, it's Bullshit, they totally overstep their mandate.

What's their mandate?

Oversee Soccer in Canada. They don't get to pick their membership.