News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weather WTF

Started by Martinus, July 03, 2011, 03:17:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

It's supposed to get below freezing tomorrow night; the first time that's happened since I moved here six years ago.  Back in the old days they used to burn tires to save to orange crop when that happened; fortunately we have industrial heaters now (and they don't raise oranges as much this far north anymore.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

There was snow in Tallahassee and some of the panhandle; nothing that accumulated, just wet, heavy flakes in the air.  So they cancelled school all the way down to Orlando.  For two days.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

HVC

gonna hit minus 30 tonight with wind-chill.. yay.

minus 22 F for my southern freinds
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on January 04, 2018, 09:09:14 AM

Cold enough for you?  ;)

This fellow sufferer is cancelling his family cross-country ski plans for Saturday.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

We got our first snow of the season overnight. :mad:

It was pretty much just a dusting, though... not enough to fuck up driving.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Savonarola on January 04, 2018, 08:14:59 AM
There was snow in Tallahassee and some of the panhandle; nothing that accumulated, just wet, heavy flakes in the air.  So they cancelled school all the way down to Orlando.  For two days.
A friend of mine in Gainesville mentioned schools would be closed today because it had reached the DANGEROUSLY COLD temperature of 46 F. :lol:

Valmy

The problem with the South is that it does not snow or ice consistently. It comes a few times a year and nobody has time to adjust their driving habits before it is gone for weeks or months (sometimes years). So it can get pretty brutal out there. I am fine with them being a bit overzealous closing things. Lives are saved, especially in the traffic choked cities like Austin. And it is not like it ever lasts longer than a day generally.

Granted that does sound a bit over the top.  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on January 04, 2018, 09:52:32 AM
A friend of mine in Gainesville mentioned schools would be closed today because it had reached the DANGEROUSLY COLD temperature of 46 F. :lol:

And you like to brag about how warm Kentucky is.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on January 04, 2018, 09:45:57 AM

Cold enough for you?  ;)

This fellow sufferer is cancelling his family cross-country ski plans for Saturday.  :(

The fuck? Excellent opportunity to build character.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on January 04, 2018, 09:56:01 AM
And you like to brag about how warm Kentucky is.
It's always been as compared to Boston, dude.  Kentucky is nowhere near as warm as Florida or Texas.

HVC

Quote from: The Brain on January 04, 2018, 10:08:56 AM
Quote from: Malthus on January 04, 2018, 09:45:57 AM

Cold enough for you?  ;)

The fuck? Excellent opportunity to build character.

Nothing builds character like frost bite :D

@Malthus, its supposed to warm next week. I'm actually surprised nothing has blown up in the city. usually when it gets this cold this fast we have water mains popping all over the city.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

My son will be in TO over the next couple of days visiting friends before his classes start up next week.

Perfect timing  :lol:

11B4V

Did Seedy get his tongue off the metal fence post? :blink:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

KRonn

Nasty snow storm here in Massachusetts. Heavy wind, snow stopped but the winds are still high and that'll continue through tomorrow apparently. I just cleared a path to my car and to the street, plus cleared out the fire hydrant in front of my house. I'll get out the snow blower tomorrow and do the entire cleanup.

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on January 04, 2018, 08:23:36 PM
Nasty snow storm here in Massachusetts. Heavy wind, snow stopped but the winds are still high and that'll continue through tomorrow apparently. I just cleared a path to my car and to the street, plus cleared out the fire hydrant in front of my house. I'll get out the snow blower tomorrow and do the entire cleanup.

Damn Kronn, you're a hardy chap; the weather won't get you, but the clearing up might one day kill you.  :P

Anyway happy new year from up North. :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"