And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 26, 2021, 09:51:41 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 26, 2021, 07:39:46 AM
For some reason I remembered it being Bowie in the Lynch version.
Sting is considerably less cool.
Incidentally this is right on all points - but it feels like such a weird film that it's suprising that early 80s Bowies isn't in it :hmm:

Lynch made a better match with 1990s Bowie  :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 25, 2021, 03:27:50 PM

Although politics goes beyond the feudal house thing, I think it's very good on the colonial aspects of it, which is certainly political. And is pretty good at the politics of the mysticism (myths being planted).

I think he handles the politics pretty well - it's broadly show don't tell with limited exposition which maybe doesn't capture everything but I think gives enough.

I saw the movie last night and thought it was brilliant.  I agree with you that it handled the politics well.  And especially the show don't tell aspect of the politics at play.  I thought it did a great job of showing the politics of each faction and right from the start showing the Freman perspective.  I thought it did an excellent job of describing the murky Bene Gesserit politics - and as you pointed out the myth making they create to pave the way for Paul.  It also did a great job of showing that the Duke knew he was walking into a trap created by the Emperor,  why the Emperor had done it, and the plan the Duke had for eluding the trap and coming out on top.  The Duke just didn't realize until the last moments that he was actually playing a part within the Bene Gesserit plan.  I also loved how the movie showed the Harkonennon political motivations rather than just being the cartoonish villains in the Lynch movie.   And most of all I loved the fact that the movie showed the plans within plans mantra of the book rather then awkwardly stating it over and over again like the Lynch movie.

That alone was enough to make the movie very enjoyable.  Add to that stunningly beautiful it is.  Definitely something to see in a theatre with all the sound and effects bells and whistles.  When the thumber was used I could feel it.  It was a wonderful movie experience.  :)

Sheilbh

Yeah strong recommend on seeing it in the cinema for sound - the Zimmer score is excellent :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 26, 2021, 11:37:18 AM
Yeah strong recommend on seeing it in the cinema for sound - the Zimmer score is excellent :wub:

First reviews I read, and from discussing with people I know, complained precisely about Zimmer's score.  :D

Sheilbh

Incidentally I have finally got very into Succession :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 26, 2021, 12:01:50 PM
Incidentally I have finally got very into Succession :ph34r:

It's my favorite show featuring an utterly despicable cast  :lol:

I also liked Dune's Zimmer score  :ph34r:

The Larch

I also enjoyed Zimmer's score, but at some point the bass was so strong that I felt it was mashing my insides to a pulp while I was watching the movie.

FunkMonk

Part Two is officially go. Looks like we're having a Dune reawakening.

https://twitter.com/Legendary/status/1453058884516466691?t=QM4jEv4N35Z9GZvvEfS8KQ&s=19

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/dune-2-greenlit-movie-release-date-1235036655/

Happy for Villeneuve and everyone involved in the production. They did a great job and deserve to keep the ball rolling.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Larch

Fall 2023? Feels quite fast! I guess they already have lots of pre-production work done, and a script at least half done.

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on October 26, 2021, 01:30:17 PM
Fall 2023? Feels quite fast! I guess they already have lots of pre-production work done, and a script at least half done.
Yeah - I heard an interview with Villeneuve on the BBC on Friday and he sounded optimistic and pretty ready.

Edit: Very pleased though - also fully behind him becoming the next Nolan.
Let's bomb Russia!

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 26, 2021, 01:20:54 PM
Part Two is officially go. Looks like we're having a Dune reawakening.

https://twitter.com/Legendary/status/1453058884516466691?t=QM4jEv4N35Z9GZvvEfS8KQ&s=19

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/dune-2-greenlit-movie-release-date-1235036655/

Happy for Villeneuve and everyone involved in the production. They did a great job and deserve to keep the ball rolling.

:w00t:

viper37

I believe Villeneuve had written a first draft of the script for the entire movie before splitting it.  It's not that hard to work from there.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

celedhring

I want a God-Emperor of Dune adaptation. Two hours of a human-worm hybrid debating about the cyclic nature of tiranny. Then he falls into a river and dies.

grumbler

Seems very fast to me, as well.  I hope they can reassemble the cast.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Larch

Quote from: grumbler on October 26, 2021, 03:12:27 PM

Seems very fast to me, as well.  I hope they can reassemble the cast.

I assume that the contracts they signed for the 1st movie already included the possibility of a sequel in them.