Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on October 26, 2021, 03:14:16 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 26, 2021, 03:12:27 PM
Quote from: The Larch on October 26, 2021, 01:30:17 PM
Fall 2023? Feels quite fast! I guess they already have lots of pre-production work done, and a script at least half done.

Seems very fast to me, as well.  I hope they can reassemble the cast.

I assume that the contracts they signed for the 1st movie already included the possibility of a sequel in them.

They probably did, but the linked article noted that they would have to renegotiate all of the contracts because they couldn't make them binding across two movies.  Again, penny-wise-pound-foolish short-sightedness from Warner and Legendary.  Cast and crew now have a lot of leverage.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on October 26, 2021, 12:05:39 PMIt's my favorite show featuring an utterly despicable cast  :lol:
Everyone is perfectly cast. It's great :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Fall 2023? Feels quite fast! I guess they already have lots of pre-production work done, and a script at least half done.

Wouldn't surprise me if they push the release back at some point. Still, I'm hoping it all comes together on time.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Larch

Quote from: grumbler on October 26, 2021, 03:26:58 PM

I assume that the contracts they signed for the 1st movie already included the possibility of a sequel in them.

They probably did, but the linked article noted that they would have to renegotiate all of the contracts because they couldn't make them binding across two movies.  Again, penny-wise-pound-foolish short-sightedness from Warner and Legendary.  Cast and crew now have a lot of leverage.

Where did you read that? It's not mentioned at all in the Hollywood Reporter article that Funkmonk linked.

grumbler

Quote from: The Larch on October 26, 2021, 05:59:45 PM
Quote from: grumbler on October 26, 2021, 03:26:58 PM

Where did you read that? It's not mentioned at all in the Hollywood Reporter article that Funkmonk linked.

I thought that it was that article, but apparently not.  Variety notes that
QuoteCasting for the film's second part has not yet been announced, but many members of the ensemble, such as Chalamet, have said they're game to come back for more.
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/dune-part-2-sequel-1235094974/ which clearly indicates that there are no existing contracts.   But one of the reports stated explicitly that the new movie would require all new contracts, because none of the contracts for the first movie were for more than that one movie.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

crazy canuck

Yeah, they need to get everyone under contract, but hopefully with the success of this movie they are all going to want to be part of Part II - and there is now talk of a series of movies so that will likely be he carrot to get the necessary cast members to sign multi production contracts.

The Larch

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 26, 2021, 07:17:25 PM
Yeah, they need to get everyone under contract, but hopefully with the success of this movie they are all going to want to be part of Part II - and there is now talk of a series of movies so that will likely be he carrot to get the necessary cast members to sign multi production contracts.

If they follow the novels not that many characters would repeat beyond the Dune sequel, though. I mean, many of the characters from the first movie won't be there for the sequel already.

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Larch on October 26, 2021, 07:32:38 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 26, 2021, 07:17:25 PM

If they follow the novels not that many characters would repeat beyond the Dune sequel, though. I mean, many of the characters from the first movie won't be there for the sequel already.

Yeah, but the actress who plays Chani has hit the jackpot though, they can't do the second movie without her.  And the recurring Duncan means years of work for Mamoa.

celedhring

Duncan Idaho doesn't reapper until Dune Messiah, right?

Eddie Teach

Probably not as big a jackpot as Spiderman.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 27, 2021, 09:49:51 AM

I think Robert Downey Jr being cast as Iron Man was the ultimate "I will be in a million movies the next 15 years" jackpot winner.

The Brain

Mortal Kombat (2021). Outworld wizard Shang Tsung is at it again. It's fine for what it is, a video game-based budget movie, but the cutscenes in the latest version of the game is a better Mortal Kombat movie. There is a distinct lack of awesome locations. Note: I've only seen clips from the 90s movie, but of course the modern one has profited from the development in Asia-inspired fantasy combat movies in the past 25 years.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on October 27, 2021, 09:54:07 AM

I think Robert Downey Jr being cast as Iron Man was the ultimate "I will be in a million movies the next 15 years" jackpot winner.

I think that Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury has been in even more movies than Robert Downey Jr.  :P

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on October 27, 2021, 10:28:30 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 27, 2021, 09:54:07 AM

I think that Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury has been in even more movies than Robert Downey Jr.  :P

Yes, but his career didn't need resurrecting at the time. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

I also suspect SLJ has made only a tiny fraction of what RDJ has made from the Marvel franchise.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.