TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on October 27, 2021, 10:30:14 AM
Quote from: The Larch on October 27, 2021, 10:28:30 AM
Quote from: celedhring on October 27, 2021, 09:54:07 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 27, 2021, 09:49:51 AM
Probably not as big a jackpot as Spiderman.

I think Robert Downey Jr being cast as Iron Man was the ultimate "I will be in a million movies the next 15 years" jackpot winner.

I think that Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury has been in even more movies than Robert Downey Jr.  :P

Yes, but his career didn't need resurrecting at the time. :P

And he mostly did cameos and very short roles, he only had a substantial role in a couple of films.

Most of the actors in this kind of long term deals end up sick to death of their characters, and wishing them to be killed.  :lol:

Syt

The 46th Saturn Awards.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/saturn-awards-winners-2021-full-list-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-once-upon-a-time-in-hollywood-knives-out-star-trek-1234863222/

Quote[...]

Best Science Fiction Film Rise Of Skywalker was one of several movies from last year's awards season that were included this year after the eligibility period was extended to run July 15, 2019-November 15, 2020 and allowed streaming and VOD entrants in the film categories.

[...]

FILM AWARDS
Best Science Fiction Film
Star Wars: Episode IX – The Rise of Skywalker

Best Comic-to-Film Motion Picture
Joker

Best Fantasy Film
Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood

Best Horror Film
The Invisible Man

Best Action/Adventure Film
Mulan

Best Thriller Film
Knives Out

Best International Film
Parasite

Best Animated Film
Onward

Best Independent Film
Encounter

Best Actor
John David Washington (Tenet)

Best Actress
Elizabeth Moss (The Invisible Man)

Best Supporting Actor
Bill Hader (It Chapter 2)

Best Supporting Actress
Ana De Armas (Knives Out)

Best Performance by a Younger Actor
Kyliegh Curran (Doctor Sleep)

Best Director
J.J. Abrams (Star Wars: Episode IX – The Rise of Skywalker)

Best Writing
Quentin Tarantino (Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood)

Best Production Design
Barbara Ling (Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood)

Best Editing
Bob Ducsay (Knives Out)

Best Music
John Williams (Star Wars: Episode IX – The Rise of Skywalker)

Best Costume
Bina Daigeler (Mulan)

Best Make-Up
Amanda Knight, Neal Scanlan  (Star Wars: Episode IX – The Rise of Skywalker)

Best Special Effects
Roger Guyett, Neal Scanlan,  Patrick Tubach,  Dominic Tuohy (Star Wars: Episode IX – The Rise of Skywalker)

TELEVISION AWARDS
Best Science Fiction TV Series
Star Trek: Discovery

Best Horror TV Series
The Walking Dead

Best Action/Thriller TV Series
Better Call Saul

Best Fantasy TV Series
For All Mankind

Best Presentation on Television (Under 10 Episodes)
The Mandalorian

Best Animated TV Series
Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Best Superhero Adaptation Television Series
The Boys

Best Film Presentation on Streaming Media
Enola Holmes

Best Actor on Television
Patrick Stewart (Picard)

Best Actress on Television
Caitriona Balfe (Outlander)

Best Supporting Actor on Television
Doug Jones (Star Trek: Discovery)

Best Supporting Actress on Television
Danielle Panabaker (The Flash)

Best Younger TV Actor
Brec Bassinger (Stargirl)

Best Guest Star on Television
Jon Cryer (Supergirl)

HOME ENTERTAINMENT AWARDS
Best 4K Film Release
Knives Out

Best DVD/BD Classic Film Release
Dr. Cyclops (Special Edition)

Best DVD/BD Collection Release
Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975

Best DVD/BD Television Series Release
Creepshow (Season 1)

Best Local Stage Production
The Witch (Geffen Playhouse)

SPECIAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARDS FROM THE ACADEMY OF SCIENCE FICTION, FANTASY & HORROR FILMS
The Visionary Award
Mike Flanagan

The Life Career Award
Michael Gruskoff

The Producers Showcase Award
Victoria Alonso

The Dan Curtis Legacy Award
Eric Wallace

The Special Achievement Award
David Kirschner

The Television Spotlight Award
The Expanse

The Robert Forster Artist's Award
Christopher Lloyd

I'm sure everyone will fully agree and have no complaints whatsoever. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

While the term "Witch hunt" has negative connotations in our society; I feel that it is time to re-evaluate after watching:

Practical Magic (1998)

This is a supernatural light rom-com/sibling rivalry/Lifetime female empowerment movie where the battered woman kills her abusive ex-boyfriend/dark comedy/outsiders-win-the-respect-of-their-tormentors picture.  I think we might learn a valuable lesson at the end of this; but I'm really not sure.  In the right hands (and by "Right hands" I'm thinking Tommy Wiseau) this might have been a masterpiece.  As it is there's far too little focus for it to be good and far too much competence for it to be brilliant.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on October 27, 2021, 10:41:54 AM
I'm sure everyone will fully agree and have no complaints whatsoever. :P

I want to complaint about Rise of Skywalker...

But looking up the nominees were:

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker
Ad Astra
Gemini Man
Lucy in the Sky
Tenet
Terminator: Dark Fate

The only other one I've seen is Ad Astra, which I think I prefer to Rise of Skywalker, but is not a perfect film either.  Gemini Man and T:DF were not well received, and Tenet... was polarizing.

So whatever - genre films are a niche, with not many films coming out each year.

I do find it amusing we're at the point where there is a separate category for films adapted from comics.  :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

I thought Tenet was...not a good movie.

I still cannot imagine any award that RoS would deserve over Tenet though.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on October 27, 2021, 12:38:29 AM
Duncan Idaho doesn't reapper until Dune Messiah, right?

I can't remember exactly, but once he starts reappearing, it is a constant cycle.  So it really depends on how for they go with the movies.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 27, 2021, 11:47:57 AM

I can't remember exactly, but once he starts reappearing, it is a constant cycle.  So it really depends on how for they go with the movies.

Dune Messiah is the second book, so it's not that big a wait.

I'm curious just how far they go with this actually.  Dune Messiah was a decent book, and continues the story of Paul.

Beyond that though it just gets weird.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 27, 2021, 12:02:32 PM

I'm curious just how far they go with this actually.  Dune Messiah was a decent book, and continues the story of Paul.

I agree that God Emperor got weird but then the series got very good - delving into the Bene Gesserit and how they manipulated everyone.  It is too bad that he died before he finished the series.  I thought his last book was the best of the lot.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 27, 2021, 12:04:52 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 27, 2021, 12:02:32 PM

I agree that God Emperor got weird but then the series got very good - delving into the Bene Gesserit and how they manipulated everyone.  It is too bad that he died before he finished the series.  I thought his last book was the best of the lot.

It's been decades since I read the Dune books, so I was browsing through Wiki articles to re-familiarize myself.

I just don't see how the novels past Dune Messiah are very open to being movies.  In Children of Dune the foxus shifts to Paul's kids, with few common characters.  Then with God Emperor (the last book I read as a kid - it got too weird, and yet somehow boring, for me) you're jumping thousands of years in the future.  According to the summaries, the next two books again jump more thousands of years into the future.

crazy canuck

But that is what makes the movies easier to make - you don't have to worry about aging cast members or really any cast members - except Duncan Idaho.  Everyone else will be replaced movie to movie.  It is the narrative that continues.

FunkMonk

Succession season 3. I am so hyped for the best intro music in TV history  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 27, 2021, 01:00:54 PM
Succession season 3. I am so hyped for the best intro music in TV history  :lol:
On the day Succession season 3 started, Sky (I low-key love that in the UK it's broadcast on Murdoch's network :lol:) had musicians outside every media company in London playing the intro music for hour. It was very weird.

And in terms of media hype I don't think Sky really needed to do much to get any more excitement.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 27, 2021, 01:22:49 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on October 27, 2021, 01:00:54 PM
On the day Succession season 3 started, Sky (I low-key love that in the UK it's broadcast on Murdoch's network :lol:) had musicians outside every media company in London playing the intro music for hour. It was very weird.

And in terms of media hype I don't think Sky really needed to do much to get any more excitement.

And like all good things in life, it has a metal cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuzMvlTCGQA&ab_channel=HarkMusicDC

FunkMonk

And how can we forget about the L to the OG

https://youtu.be/6dUDQTc-9kM
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

Saw Dune.

Yes. It's very impressive indeed. I like the whole retro super smooth style Sci fi that seems to be coming back in fashion.

Interesting adaptation... How the fuck did they get the go ahead to make this without episode 2 even being greenlit? They end it at a weird place.
Though it is nice they spent so much time on the parts of the story that usually get skipped through.
Interesting they resisted the urge to show a navigator beyond the 4th wall breaking voice before the wb logo.

The barons pet is a headscratcher. I can't remember this from the books and they seemed to be implying its the Dr's wife. Waaa.

Sadly I was desperate to pee and missed a scene with them running away from a worm towards the end. Hopefully there was nothing important there other than generic action fayre.

I'm sure someone else made this comment but it does jump around a lot and I worry for people who don't know the story.
The visiony dreamy sequences drag things a bit.

The super weird nitpick I'd have is some of the accents. Especially when they say water. Cringe. But petty.
██████
██████
██████