And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Saw some time ago Assassin 33 A.D
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8064418

While doing research , a group of young geniuses accidentally stumble upon a secret [spoiler]islamist [/spoiler]terrorist plot to create a time machine to go back in time and change history by [spoiler]kiling Jesus and preventing the Resurrection[/spoiler].

Disappointing. Lacks nuttiness, despite several cringing moments and being played somewhat seriously.
[spoiler]A sequel is even promised in the last shot which may or many not indulge in chip conspiracy theories and/or post-apocalyptic conflict[/spoiler]

Eddie Teach

Been watching Occupied. Really interesting.

It's occurred to me that this is kinda like a Euroweenie version of Red Dawn. An invasion that's not an invasion, the collaborators are more sympathetic than the resistance, and the whole thing kicked off because they were trying to save the world.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

Just read that the DOJ has vacated the 1948 US vs Paramount ruling, which ended old Hollywood (essentially an antitrust ruling that prevented movie studios from owning teather chains, controlling the entire movie business).

I can't see movie studios rushing to buy up AMC and the likes, internet distribution is blowing up the theater system already, so I guess it's not a big deal in this time and age. But that 1948 ruling was a cornerstone moment in movie history. There's the issue of block-booking ("if you want to show this great movie in your theaters, you also have to take these shitty ones"), but block-booking has persisted in Europe through all this time and it hasn't been that big of a deal.

Of course, the larger question is wether one should apply the same antitrust rules on TV/platforms that were used on theater chains. But that goes above my paygrade (it would be far better for the consumer, in principle, but at the same time it would destroy Netflix).

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 10, 2020, 10:16:24 AM
The Rain - Danish show on Netflix.  Final season was disappointing.  It was as if funding was reduced and so they had to go with a different quick dues ex machina resolution rather than what they had originally intended.

I kinda got bored with the characters in season two.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

In Cold Blood (1967)

Based on the Truman Capote non-fiction book about a pair of drifters who murder a farming family (one of the drifters is played by Robert Blake, who later would go on to star in a real-life true crime drama.)  The film is shot in black and white; and does a really good job capturing the mood of the drifters, (usually bleak, but it does manage to capture a few moments of unbridled joy as well.)  The film also manages to convey the (likely) mental illness the Blake character suffered from.  Richard Brooks envisioned making an "Anti-Hollywood" picture (hence the bleakness), but a lot of young directors at the time had the same idea so it really doesn't seem that out of place.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josquius

I started watching Kingdom. Korean historic zombie series.
I've been meaning to for a while but I've been skeptical. Korean series universally tend to have a cheap and nasty feel that I don't enjoy. It's hard to describe exactly what it is. The rules of TV are just different.
This though feels like a western series, which is good.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Question: is Sons of Anarchy good? Thinking of watching that.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Larch

Quote from: Malthus on August 13, 2020, 06:10:34 PM

At least the first couple of seasons are quite good. It gets worse after that.

Grey Fox

The first 3 are worth it.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Larch

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 13, 2020, 08:19:06 PM

Which one is it the one in which [spoiler]they go to Ireland?[/spoiler] I thought it was the 3rd, and that it was a bit of the beginning of the decline.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on August 13, 2020, 06:10:34 PM

Yes, it is.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: The Larch on August 14, 2020, 06:39:09 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 13, 2020, 08:19:06 PM

Which one is it the one in which [spoiler]they go to Ireland?[/spoiler] I thought it was the 3rd, and that it was a bit of the beginning of the decline.

It got better after that; but yeah that season was horrible.
Civis Romanus Sum

Tamas

For the last season or two it became it's own parody. The gang members outside of the main family were just standing around waiting to run pathetic errands for the latest irrelevant family drama in the main family's life. It does worth watching the first 2 or 3 seasons though.