And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Just realized I never saw Season 7 of SoA. Think I'll watch that next

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on August 06, 2020, 11:17:55 PM
Star Trek Lower Decks.

Funny enough :)  I really liked it. They took a jab at the some of the intros of other Trek series and of course, it's all a parody of TNG, so it was extremely funny.  It reminds me a bit of Sil Trek. :)

You need to be a Star Trek fan in the first place to appreciate the humour, though.

I watched the first episode with the kids. Never seen Star Trek before.

The next night they were asking to watch Episode 2 (as far as the show goes so far).  Which we did. :)

Curious show, really.  It's almost too full of Star Trek call backs and Easter Eggs.  It wants to make fun of Star Trek, but not really - because it wants to be an homage.  I suspect it might just need some time to find its own voice.

I do like the concept of not following the main bridge characters though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Eddie Teach

I saw the first episode as a YouTube ad. It was cute.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 17, 2020, 12:49:32 AM
Quote from: viper37 on August 06, 2020, 11:17:55 PM
Star Trek Lower Decks.

Funny enough :)  I really liked it. They took a jab at the some of the intros of other Trek series and of course, it's all a parody of TNG, so it was extremely funny.  It reminds me a bit of Sil Trek. :)

You need to be a Star Trek fan in the first place to appreciate the humour, though.

I watched the first episode with the kids. Never seen Star Trek before.

The next night they were asking to watch Episode 2 (as far as the show goes so far).  Which we did. :)

Curious show, really.  It's almost too full of Star Trek call backs and Easter Eggs.  It wants to make fun of Star Trek, but not really - because it wants to be an homage.  I suspect it might just need some time to find its own voice.

I do like the concept of not following the main bridge characters though.

Well, it would not work if it wasn't playing off established Star Trek themes.  Why would anyone watch a standalone series about insignificant crew members?  Hey look, he is checking the subroutines again - I can hardly wait to see what happens!  :P

mongers

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 10, 2020, 05:27:03 PM
Been watching Occupied. Really interesting.

It's occurred to me that this is kinda like a Euroweenie version of Red Dawn. An invasion that's not an invasion, the collaborators are more sympathetic than the resistance, and the whole thing kicked off because they were trying to save the world.

11B4V put me onto this a few months back, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

Last night I watched the first episode of  :cthulu: Lovecraft Country  :cthulu:

My first impression is relatively good. The setting is intriguing (50s America), characters seem promising (the protagonist is a black Korean War veteran who is a huge fan of pulp novels) and of course there are Lovecraftian shenanigans going around. If more people watched it, I'd love to discuss a couple of points further.

Still, I had a couple of misgivings about the episode. Firstly, either I was not paying enough attention or a couple of relevant events happen just because and out of the blue, which for a first episode is worrying as it might precede many future similar asspulls. Secondly, and even if I get that one of the main themes of the show is in the line of "racists are the real monsters", the racism and the violence against the black protagonists seemed a bit cartoonish and over the top to me. Also a minor nitpick, the fact that in the show's universe Lovecraft and his works are something that exist and are quoted and referenced seemed a bit too in your face to me.

So, as I said, if anyone has watched it I'd love to discuss things further.

celedhring

I thought they went monster slasher a bit too early. Lovecraft stories are about the buildup... but I guess they had to show the beasties in the first episode to draw in people.

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on August 19, 2020, 04:29:04 AM
I thought they went monster slasher a bit too early. Lovecraft stories are about the buildup... but I guess they had to show the beasties in the first episode to draw in people.

Yeah, I thought the same, that they went too quickly for the reveal, but I assumed it was a necessity of the medium to get the audience on board. Now they should refrain from showing beasties until much later in the season.

I reckon they'll focus now on [spoiler]the misterious blondies[/spoiler].

daveracher

Quote from: The Larch on August 19, 2020, 04:31:21 AM

Yeah, I thought the same, that they went too quickly for the reveal, but I assumed it was a necessity of the medium to get the audience on board. Now they should refrain from showing beasties until much later in the season.

It followed the book fairly well and if it continues along with it, things are going to bounce around a bit. The book was kinda like a series of interconnected short stories. I am intrigued to see how it continues... and you can never have too much Michael K. Williams.
Birdman of Burlington

The Larch

Quote from: daveracher on August 19, 2020, 10:05:21 AM
Quote from: The Larch on August 19, 2020, 04:31:21 AM

It followed the book fairly well and if it continues along with it, things are going to bounce around a bit. The book was kinda like a series of interconnected short stories. I am intrigued to see how it continues... and you can never have too much Michael K. Williams.

I'm not really familiar with the book, but if its forman is that of short stories (very Lovecraftian!) then let's see if the show mimics it. It could be interesting!

Admiral Yi

Jesus, Mary, an Joseph, here's a dude that hasn't posted in like five years.  Or maybe you're a game forum guy?

Eddie Teach

The Monster Squad. Like The Goonies, but less famous.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

I finally watched the HBO Watchmen series. I quite enjoyed it. I was afraid it would leave off on a cliff hanger or something dreadful after I heard there was a lot of distress over the creation team walking away. Instead? Perfect ending. It reminded me of the first season of True Detective in that regard. There's still plenty left unresolved that you could make a second season or more around, but... you don't need to and it is almost better if you leave some of the mystery and intrigue unanswered.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

celedhring

I loved it. My only - minor - "but" is that the ending felt somewhat rushed but overall it was a great way to expand the original material.

The flashback episode on Hooded Justice was my favorite hour of TV from 2019.

Solmyr

Watched the first episode of Lovecraft Country and it's looking very promising. Incidentally, it shares some similarities with Watchmen, confronting racism against a backdrop of fantastic fiction (in this case, Lovecraftian horror).

Also, it has Michael K. Williams (Omar Little from The Wire).  :wub: