News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Lída Baarová. Czech actress comes to Berlin in the 30s and becomes involved with movie stars and politicians. I enjoyed it, and I learnt stuff.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Caught up on QI (thanks, YouTube), and have started watching Peep Show with Mitchell and Webb. Is it bad if I recognize too much of myself in David Micthell's character? :unsure:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Gups

Quote from: Syt on August 25, 2020, 01:56:05 AM
Caught up on QI (thanks, YouTube), and have started watching Peep Show with Mitchell and Webb. Is it bad if I recognize too much of myself in David Micthell's character? :unsure:

Peep show is excellent. It keeps improving until peaking in seeries 4

celedhring

That Mitchell and Webb Look is one of my favorite Brit comedy series. I would watch that one too (if you haven't already) if you are on a David Mitchell roll.

Syt

I've already watched the Mitchell & Webb Look and Situation shows. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

Life(2017). Alien monster attacks astronauts on space station. Not the most original concept, but it is well done.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on August 25, 2020, 01:56:05 AM
Me too :blush:
"I'm not a freak. I'm a normal person!"

Must be said when rewatching it's quite sad to realise how old it now is.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Last night I finished watching Midnight Diner, a Japanese show that has two seasons offered on Netflix (there are more, but have only been shown in Japan). It is a really charming, slice of life show, very intimate and low key. It is focused on a night bar in Tokyo where patrons discuss their issues and stories with each other and with the bar's owner, with each episode telling a self-contained story themed around a dish (normally the one the protagonist of each story eats at the bar).

Has anybody else seen it?

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on August 25, 2020, 07:24:35 AM
Last night I finished watching Midnight Diner, a Japanese show that has two seasons offered on Netflix (there are more, but have only been shown in Japan). It is a really charming, slice of life show, very intimate and low key. It is focused on a night bar in Tokyo where patrons discuss their issues and stories with each other and with the bar's owner, with each episode telling a self-contained story themed around a dish (normally the one the protagonist of each story eats at the bar).

I've tried a few episodes. British netflix has all 5 series now, the last 2 subtitled Tokyo stories and the first 3 as just Midnight Diner.
Its...very very Japanese broadcast TV. Just the kind of weird low budget old schooly melancholic atmosphere that is so typical of Japanese TV shows.
And so much bloody emphasis on food.

Its not a favourite show but I occasionally turn it on for some nostalgia or to get my mind on Japanese.

I can't help but wonder about how brave these customers are, just ordering custom stuff in central Tokyo without knowing how much it'll cost. Money is rarely mentioned.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on August 25, 2020, 07:30:30 AM
Quote from: The Larch on August 25, 2020, 07:24:35 AM

I've tried a few episodes. British netflix has all 5 series now, the last 2 subtitled Tokyo stories and the first 3 as just Midnight Diner.
Its...very very Japanese broadcast TV. Just the kind of weird low budget old schooly melancholic atmosphere that is so typical of Japanese TV shows.
And so much bloody emphasis on food.

Its not a favourite show but I occasionally turn it on for some nostalgia or to get my mind on Japanese.

I can't help but wonder about how brave these customers are, just ordering custom stuff in central Tokyo without knowing how much it'll cost. Money is rarely mentioned.

Glad to know that the other three seasons are available outside of Japan, I hope they end up showing them here too. Apparently it's based on a manga and has been really successful, with also a film being made, as well as Chinese and South Korean versions.

Surprised about the emphasis on food? You should be more than used to it by know, it's on almost every single piece of Japanese media.

The money observation is... oh well.

Josquius

Quote from: The Larch on August 25, 2020, 08:05:07 AM

Glad to know that the other three seasons are available outside of Japan, I hope they end up showing them here too. Apparently it's based on a manga and has been really successful, with also a film being made, as well as Chinese and South Korean versions.

Surprised about the emphasis on food? You should be more than used to it by know, it's on almost every single piece of Japanese media.

The money observation is... oh well.
Oh no, not surprised by the food thing at all. As I say its very typical of Japanese TV.
Traditionally though the shows we get in the west, or at least ones I've paid attention to, didn't have this. Netflix however has quite a few shows that have this typical Japanese TV trait. Incorporated into drama in such a way is so very alien- Samurai Gourmet is in a similar vein to Midnight Diner though I find it a bit better as its more comedic.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Larch

Quote from: Tyr on August 25, 2020, 08:21:29 AMSamurai Gourmet is in a similar vein to Midnight Diner though I find it a bit better as its more comedic.

I have that one on my list to watch once I've finished with Midnight Diner.

celedhring

Heh, I knew Jordan Peele was producing this, but the second episode of Lovecraft Country is essentially Get Out  :lol:

It is a fun show. Not what I was expecting, but fun.

Berkut

Quote from: celedhring on August 25, 2020, 08:53:42 AM
Heh, I knew Jordan Peele was producing this, but the second episode of Lovecraft Country is essentially Get Out  :lol:

It is a fun show. Not what I was expecting, but fun.

I thought the second episode was ok. I thought they pussied out [spoiler]with bringing whatshername back from the dead. Now we know that nobody important in this show is ever actually in any danger. [/spoiler]
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned