US 2020 Presidential Election prediction thread

Started by Zoupa, July 12, 2020, 10:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Habbaku on September 01, 2020, 01:01:36 PM
Nice fanfic, bro. Do you ship Trump-Ivanka?

He'll announce the relationship is his victory speech, delivered on election day, before polls close on the East Coast.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tonitrus

If it ends up with a contingent election in the House...Don Young might become the most influential man in the country.

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on September 01, 2020, 01:01:36 PM
Nice fanfic, bro. Do you ship Trump-Ivanka?

It is nice that even in a fanfic Biden still wins Pennsylvania.

Speaking of which here is my fanfic:

I also ship Biden-Pennsylvania. My OTP in all my slashfic. :wub: :perv:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on September 01, 2020, 07:26:46 PM
His scenario is not a realistic outcome.

No, but it is a fun one.  More fun would be that the contingent election in the House is a tie, and the Senate's pick for VP become acting president for four years.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

That map could happen.  it is well within the realistic range of results.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

If we're going to define "realistic" as "anything that could conceivably happen, no matter how unlikely" then what's the point?

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 02, 2020, 02:14:44 AM

That map could happen.  it is well within the realistic range of results.

The map doesn't suck, his fantasy scenario below it is what does :P

But hey this is just a game to get the map right.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2020, 09:55:18 AM

It sucks but that could also happen.  I haven't surveyed the compositions of the state legislatures and Sec States of all the close states but it is easy to imagine contested recounts dragging on 2000 Florida style but even worse given that Trump will be even more bold than Bush and Biden will not graciously concede like Gore.  That scenario does point to the election ultimately being determined by Congress deciding which contested slates of Electors to accept.  In any case a tied or even a close EV total is likely to end up in a shitshow that makes 2000 looks like spilled water in comparison.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 02, 2020, 12:14:26 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2020, 09:55:18 AM

It sucks but that could also happen.  I haven't surveyed the compositions of the state legislatures and Sec States of all the close states but it is easy to imagine contested recounts dragging on 2000 Florida style but even worse given that Trump will be even more bold than Bush and Biden will not graciously concede like Gore.  That scenario does point to the election ultimately being determined by Congress deciding which contested slates of Electors to accept.  In any case a tied or even a close EV total is likely to end up in a shitshow that makes 2000 looks like spilled water in comparison.
It still gives me heartburn to think just what a pivotal moment the 2000 election turned out to be.  So many things could've gone in a completely different direction had Al Gore been the president during 9/11, and I think a lot of America's problems can be traced back to PTSD induced by 9/11.

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 02, 2020, 12:14:26 PM

When deciding which electors to accept, does it go to a straight-up vote (which Dems should have the majority), or is it the rule where each total state delegation gets one vote (Which the GOP should have the majority)?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.