US 2020 Presidential Election prediction thread

Started by Zoupa, July 12, 2020, 10:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on September 02, 2020, 12:19:06 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 02, 2020, 12:14:26 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 02, 2020, 09:55:18 AM
The map doesn't suck, his fantasy scenario below it is what does :P

It sucks but that could also happen.  I haven't surveyed the compositions of the state legislatures and Sec States of all the close states but it is easy to imagine contested recounts dragging on 2000 Florida style but even worse given that Trump will be even more bold than Bush and Biden will not graciously concede like Gore.  That scenario does point to the election ultimately being determined by Congress deciding which contested slates of Electors to accept.  In any case a tied or even a close EV total is likely to end up in a shitshow that makes 2000 looks like spilled water in comparison.
It still gives me heartburn to think just what a pivotal moment the 2000 election turned out to be.  So many things could've gone in a completely different direction had Al Gore been the president during 9/11, and I think a lot of America's problems can be traced back to PTSD induced by 9/11.

I dunno man - I think the pivot point was invading Iraq (which I don't think a President Gore would have done), but everything else done in response to 9/11 would probably have been exactly the same - invading Afghanistan, Patriot Act, DHS - all was a broad bipartisan consensus.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

Trump may be delusional in certain respects but he pays very close attention to polls, he knows he is the underdog.  He made a very clear decision not to follow a base broadening strategy but to mobilize and GOTY his narrow base and suppress the opposition.  He is following a deliberate plan of going for another minority vote win.  You can sure his campaign is developing a post-election day strategy
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tonitrus

I think it is safe to say that they've laid the groundwork such that, even if Trump gets blown out of the water in the EC tally, he'll still throw up the "vote by mail fraud" chaff into the air.

It's pretty clear that scorched earth is not off the table, but the main course.

FunkMonk

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 02, 2020, 12:23:27 PM
Trump may be delusional in certain respects but he pays very close attention to polls, he knows he is the underdog.  He made a very clear decision not to follow a base broadening strategy but to mobilize and GOTY his narrow base and suppress the opposition.  He is following a deliberate plan of going for another minority vote win.  You can sure his campaign is developing a post-election day strategy

The lawyers we have are massive. Huge, big like you would never believe! You've never seen lawyers this big, and so many at the same time!!
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on September 02, 2020, 09:53:33 AM
If we're going to define "realistic" as "anything that could conceivably happen, no matter how unlikely" then what's the point?

According to Carl Bernstein a scenario where the the election is decided by the House is being seriously looked at by the White House.  Not only is this a possible outcome it is an outcome actively planned by one of the candidates.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on September 02, 2020, 12:21:37 PM
When deciding which electors to accept, does it go to a straight-up vote (which Dems should have the majority), or is it the rule where each total state delegation gets one vote (Which the GOP should have the majority)?

Normal voting rules apply.  The contingent election process (vote by state delegations) is only applicable if there is a contingent election.  I am not at ll sure that the Republicans would win a contingent election.  If the election goes by current polling, I think the contingent election would be a tie.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

The post election day procedures for determining electors in each state are potential minefields in the event of a close vote, and with the toxic cocktail of Trump + COVID-19, perhaps even if the vote is not that close. E.g. one can expect that Trump will mobilize his media and social media fraud screamers if there are significant "blue shifts" from mail-in voting and put pressure on his allies in state legislatures and executives to intervene.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Oexmelin

Que le grand cric me croque !

Zoupa

I think he meant the voters attempting this.

Knowing that some of his cultists injected themselves with Chlorox, it's bound to happen.

Monoriu

Without a national ID system, it is very difficult to catch voter fraud. 

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on September 02, 2020, 08:12:59 PM
Without a national ID system, it is very difficult to catch voter fraud. 

I mean we have many ID systems and we don't run elections on a national level. Why must it be national?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."