Turkish police use tear gas, injure dozens in break up of protests

Started by Syt, June 01, 2013, 01:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on June 16, 2013, 06:00:20 PM
Ah, then I see the confusion as Valmy has little to do with that.
wut?
QuoteThen perhaps you would like to elaborate on that.

When you start this sentence with "then" it suggest that the thought that follows proceeds naturally from the one before it.  This one does not.  It does not follow naturally from any other statement in the thread.

I developed my interpretation based on your history of mischaracterizing your counterparts' positions.  You do it quite often.

Razgovory

I was kinda hoping for a Atlantic style expose on how I maligned the Goddman beet eating pirate.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22938860

QuoteTurkish government says it may use army to end protests

The Turkish government has said it may use the armed forces to end nearly three weeks of unrest by protesters in Istanbul and other cities.

The government would use "all its powers" and "the Turkish armed forces in cities" if necessary, Deputy Prime Minister Bulent Arinc said on TV.

It is the first time the Islamist-rooted ruling party has threatened to use the military against protesters.

The issue is sensitive as the army is seen as a bastion of secularism.

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan told hundreds of thousands of supporters at a rally in Istanbul on Sunday that the protesters were manipulated by "terrorists".

Trade unions have called a strike to protest against the police crackdown on demonstrators which has seen some 500 people arrested.

Medical officials estimate that 5,000 people have been injured and at least four killed in the unrest.

The protests began on 28 May against a plan to redevelop Istanbul's Gezi Park, on the city's central Taksim Square, but it snowballed into nationwide anti-government protests after the perceived high-handed response of the authorities under their three-term prime minister.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on June 16, 2013, 04:39:40 PM
Valmy was wrong in claiming I said that people were trying to make Kemal a god.

What you said was
Quotefalling all over oneself saying what a great guy he was

Which is true that is not literally saying somebody is a god.  I was using hyperbole a bit.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on June 16, 2013, 05:07:17 PM
Quote from: Tamas on June 16, 2013, 04:03:14 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 16, 2013, 03:58:13 PM
Still Tamas's position is pretty boneheaded.

ISn't that from the french vail thread?

So?

I am not sure if I am happy about Raz keeping logs of what I post and then quoting me in the wrong thread to prove whatever point is feeding his inner troll of the day.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 17, 2013, 08:56:38 AM

So?

I am not sure if I am happy about Raz keeping logs of what I post and then quoting me in the wrong thread to prove whatever point is feeding his inner troll of the day.

Are you claiming that he is stalking you? :yeahright:

All he did was happen to quote a recent post of yours from one thread into another. Teh horrors!1
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Queequeg on June 16, 2013, 03:11:32 PM
Kemal deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Chiang Kai-Shek, Peron, or any other complicated mid-20th Century grand political figure who attempted to forge a third way between a faltering Liberalism and revolution.  I think comparisons with early Mussolini make a lot of sense.

Pilsudski would be a better comp, I think.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on June 17, 2013, 09:09:15 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 17, 2013, 08:56:38 AM

So?

Are you claiming that he is stalking you? :yeahright:

All he did was happen to quote a recent post of yours from one thread into another. Teh horrors!1

One point which looked pretty silly if it was written in this thread.

Anyways, I am honestly sorry I broke silence on this. The juveline attempts to try and out-logic each other on inane shit can grow to tiresome levels and I see you are at it, and Hod forbid that Raz actually gets here while I give a fuck.

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 17, 2013, 09:28:41 AM
One point which looked pretty silly if it was written in this thread.

Well actually I though Raz looked silly as it looked irrelevant here.  Oh and it actually looked silly in the initial thread that you wrote it. ;)

Quote from: Tamas on June 17, 2013, 09:28:41 AMAnyways, I am honestly sorry I broke silence on this. The juveline attempts to try and out-logic each other on inane shit can grow to tiresome levels and I see you are at it, and Hod forbid that Raz actually gets here while I give a fuck.

I'm being juvenile by pointing out that you made a statement in another thread and that you really shouldn't get that worked up when Raz quotes it elsewhere? After all, Yi already quickly pointed out that Raz was misconstruing your original point.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

garbon

Quote from: Tamas on June 17, 2013, 10:52:34 AM
Ease off, I am not playing today.

I think we can likely just break contact if you are going to cry foul after some simple posts. :mellow:

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on June 17, 2013, 10:33:22 AM

I'm being juvenile by pointing out that you made a statement in another thread and that you really shouldn't get that worked up when Raz quotes it elsewhere? After all, Yi already quickly pointed out that Raz was misconstruing your original point.

If I was quoting myself Yi would say the same thing.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 17, 2013, 09:27:00 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on June 16, 2013, 03:11:32 PM
Kemal deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Chiang Kai-Shek, Peron, or any other complicated mid-20th Century grand political figure who attempted to forge a third way between a faltering Liberalism and revolution.  I think comparisons with early Mussolini make a lot of sense.

Pilsudski would be a better comp, I think.
Pilsudski's Poland was extremely multiethnic, and Pilsudski was a-okay with that. Ataturk exiled the only ethnicities in Turkey with decent literacy rates or commercial skills, and then proceeded to attempt to eradicate all "foreign" influence from the country, including such a rapid, complete reformation of the language that most Turks barely understand his early speeches, and the violent repression of the only substantial minority left. Mussolini works.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Tamas

Stolen from Paradox, a bit of news update on the government's relentless defending of democracy:

Sixhundred arrests on Sunday.
Police raids/razzia of the offices of the newspaper Atilim and the newsagency Etkin.
Dozens of arrests in each city/district all over turkey on tuesday morning (numbers unclear/conflicting reports) http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/18/turkey-arrests-crackdown-protests-erdogan

Silent protesters arrested: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2013/jun/18/istanbul-silent-standing-protest-police-video

Neil

Quote from: Queequeg on June 17, 2013, 01:44:16 PM
Pilsudski's Poland was extremely multiethnic, and Pilsudski was a-okay with that. Ataturk exiled the only ethnicities in Turkey with decent literacy rates or commercial skills, and then proceeded to attempt to eradicate all "foreign" influence from the country, including such a rapid, complete reformation of the language that most Turks barely understand his early speeches, and the violent repression of the only substantial minority left. Mussolini works.
If you mean the Greeks, then their removal was a good thing.  You can't pretend like it was possible for Western Anatolia to be some kind of multi-ethnic paradise, what with the Megali Idea and all that.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.