Turkish police use tear gas, injure dozens in break up of protests

Started by Syt, June 01, 2013, 01:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on June 13, 2013, 03:41:19 AM
Quote from: Tyr on June 12, 2013, 06:38:36 PM
Its really strange the way supposidely hip lefty young Turkish kids rally around the iamge of a right wing douche of 80 years past. :hmm:

that right wing douche saved their country from sliced-up colony status, and with a firm resolve put them on a course of modernization, instead of islam retardedness.

There was a lot of that going on in the 1920's and 30's. 
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tamas

Maybe, just MAYBE, and I am REALLY stretching my imagination here, but bear with me Raz:

MAYBE HE KNEW HIS PEOPLE AND COUNTRYMEN'S TENDENCIES EVEN BEFORE FUCKTARD ISLAM TRIBALIST MOONWORSHIP BECAME FRONT PAGE NEWS FOR AMERICANS!

FFS man

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on June 13, 2013, 06:37:56 AM
Maybe, just MAYBE, and I am REALLY stretching my imagination here, but bear with me Raz:

MAYBE HE KNEW HIS PEOPLE AND COUNTRYMEN'S TENDENCIES EVEN BEFORE FUCKTARD ISLAM TRIBALIST MOONWORSHIP BECAME FRONT PAGE NEWS FOR AMERICANS!

FFS man

And maybe Lenin and Stalin knew their countrymen's tendencies when they "saved their country from sliced-up colony status, and with a firm resolve put them on a course of modernization,"  This bigotry thing is unbecoming of you.  I expect that from Viking, cause he's nuts.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Lenin *did* allow his country to be sliced up.  He was bailed out by the collapse of the Central Powers.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on June 13, 2013, 06:43:03 AM
And maybe Lenin and Stalin knew their countrymen's tendencies when they "saved their country from sliced-up colony status, and with a firm resolve put them on a course of modernization,"  This bigotry thing is unbecoming of you.  I expect that from Viking, cause he's nuts.

Comparing Ataturk to Lenin and Stalin???
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 13, 2013, 10:39:04 AM

Better than comparing him to Napoleon, or Julius Caesar.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on June 13, 2013, 06:43:03 AM

Apparently :blink:
Let's bomb Russia!

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on June 13, 2013, 10:47:33 AM
Can I compare him to Hitler?

He had a better mustache than hitler.

see.. I just compared him to hitler...

but, if you are trying to suggest that some of Ataturks prominent features, actions and ideas are somehow similar in nature or principle to Hitlers prominent features, actions or ideas then no, obviously not.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

Apparently there's going to be a referendum on the fate of the park. It seems a bit too late for that to work.

Meanwhile Erdogan's says they'll clear the park within 24 hours - though he said the same yesterday. It's dangerous for a PM to make threats he may have to keep.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on June 13, 2013, 10:47:07 AM

There a lots of comparisons that don't work.  Like JS Bach, Liza Minnelli, or Jared from Subway.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 13, 2013, 11:01:14 AM
Apparently there's going to be a referendum on the fate of the park. It seems a bit too late for that to work.

ridicoulously late. Nobody took to the street for that park except for the initial 50 or so people who got run over by the cops 2 weeks ago.

PDH

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 13, 2013, 11:10:47 AM
Quote from: grumbler on June 13, 2013, 10:47:07 AM

There a lots of comparisons that don't work.  Like JS Bach, Liza Minnelli, or Jared from Subway.

Though the Liza Minnelli one does work on a few levels...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Maximus

Was Ataturk involved in the Armenian thing? If my memory serves he must have been at some level. A quick google turns up some not so impartial sites.

Valmy

Quote from: Maximus on June 13, 2013, 11:43:37 AM
Was Ataturk involved in the Armenian thing? If my memory serves he must have been at some level. A quick google turns up some not so impartial sites.

He was just a general right?  Surely it was Enver Pasha's doing.

Wait...did Kemal really say this in the Los Angeles Examiner?

QuoteThese left-overs from the former Young Turk Party, who should have been made to account for the millions of our Christian subjects who were ruthlessly driven en masse, from their homes and massacred, have been restive under the Republican rule ... They have hitherto lived on plunder, robbery and bribery and become inimical to any idea, or suggestion to enlist in useful labor and earn their living by the honest sweat of their brow ... Under the cloak of the opposition party, this element, who forced our country into the Great War against the will of the people, who caused the shedding of rivers of blood of the Turkish youth to satisfy the criminal ambition of Enver Pasha, has, in a cowardly fashion, intrigued against my life, as well as the lives of the members of my cabinet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Turks#Aftermath_and_legacy

Because it sort of sounds like he was violating Turkish law by admitting the Genocide occured :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."