News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Tory wars over Europe

Started by Sheilbh, May 12, 2013, 05:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on May 12, 2013, 05:37:27 PM
We have taxes, sane gun control, black people can vote, and we have a black president.

Lulz, which of these are facts and which is an opinion pulled out of your ass?

Martinus

I would be very surprised to see any willingness in Europe to renegotiate the treaties or accommodate the UK's position. The EU is deeply annoyed with the UK and would not agree to renegotiate even if, objectively, it was in the EU's interest, imo.

Martinus

Also, this thread would be much better without Neil's trolling.

Warspite

Quote from: Martinus on May 13, 2013, 05:36:31 AM
I would be very surprised to see any willingness in Europe to renegotiate the treaties or accommodate the UK's position. The EU is deeply annoyed with the UK and would not agree to renegotiate even if, objectively, it was in the EU's interest, imo.
There is no "EU" position on the UK, there are the opinions of different political constituencies within the twenty-seven other member states. I suspect Merkel would rather do what is reasonably possible to the keep the UK inside rather than have it drift out and have no counterweight against the French vision.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Martinus

Quote from: Warspite on May 13, 2013, 05:47:14 AM
There is no "EU" position on the UK, there are the opinions of different political constituencies within the twenty-seven other member states. I suspect Merkel would rather do what is reasonably possible to the keep the UK inside rather than have it drift out and have no counterweight against the French vision.

I disagree. Letting the UK get away with treaty renegotiations will open flood gates for similar demands from other member states and Merkel knows that. And I find it laughable that Merkel would want to build a common position with Cameron against France - she can find allies elsewhere, e.g. in Poland.

Warspite

Quote from: Martinus on May 13, 2013, 05:51:08 AM
Quote from: Warspite on May 13, 2013, 05:47:14 AM

I disagree. Letting the UK get away with treaty renegotiations will open flood gates for similar demands from other member states and Merkel knows that. And I find it laughable that Merkel would want to build a common position with Cameron against France - she can find allies elsewhere, e.g. in Poland.

It's not laughable: Merkel and Cameron have already suggested they have a common position. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/9991994/David-Cameron-and-Angela-Merkel-call-for-urgent-European-reform.html

Merkel and Cameron are much, much closer on EU issues than with Hollande.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Josquius

There really shouldn't be space for the UK to renegotiate. I agree it would set a horrific prescedent.
There should however be reforms of the EU as a whole.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

I told you Brits never to surrender your sovereignty to that continental clusterfuck.  But noooo.

Now you can't get out, and renegotiation would definitely be a bad move, even if nothing came of it.  Sends the wrong message, and like Tyr says, sets a really bad precedent.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on May 13, 2013, 05:51:08 AM

It really depends what "treaty renegotiations" refers to. The UK getting special breaks to contribute less money and/or get more money is one thing. General reform of some institutions that are arguably not working and are generally unpopular is another.

I think it is worth keeping in mind that there are only three large EU countries that are doing well right now--the UK, France, and Germany. The model has been for them to an extent carry some of the weight of less developed members former communist countries. For one of them to walk away is very bad for the EU, even if the UK has been less engaged than the other two.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 13, 2013, 06:08:40 AM
I told you Brits never to surrender your sovereignty to that continental clusterfuck.  But noooo.

Now you can't get out, and renegotiation would definitely be a bad move, even if nothing came of it.  Sends the wrong message, and like Tyr says, sets a really bad precedent.

Why would Brits listen to an avid IRA sympathizer?

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on May 13, 2013, 09:13:40 AMI think it is worth keeping in mind that there are only three large EU countries that are doing well right now--the UK, France, and Germany.

You forgot Poland. :contract:

In fact the way you are saying this, it is as if there were tons of large countries in the EU and only three (or in fact four) were doing well. The fact that out of six large countries in Europe, four are doing well is, imo, quite a success.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on May 13, 2013, 11:41:19 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on May 13, 2013, 09:13:40 AMI think it is worth keeping in mind that there are only three large EU countries that are doing well right now--the UK, France, and Germany.

You forgot Poland. :contract:

In fact the way you are saying this, it is as if there were tons of large countries in the EU and only three (or in fact four) were doing well. The fact that out of six large countries in Europe, four are doing well is, imo, quite a success.

I didn't forget Poland. Poland is doing well relative to where it was 20 years ago, but it still doesn't have a highly developed economy and I would assume is a net drain on EU funds.

Maybe I should have specified what I meant a bit more.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

The Minsky Moment

Let's say the UK exits.  Then what?

If they want to keep access to the internal market, they have to join the EEA.  But that just subjects them to all the EU market rules while severely downgrading their ability to be involved in their development.  True the UK would thereby escape the full fiscal apparatus of the EU but they are insulated from the potential negative effects of that already by the Rebate.

The alternative would be to stay outside the EEA as well but that would leave them outside their biggest market.  In theory the UK could negotiate its own bespoke trade and investment treaties, but it would have to get on line with the likes of the US, China, Brazil, Russia, Turkey, etc.  From the EU's POV the UK (standing alone) would not necessarily be viewed as a much higher priority then those other relationships.

I don't see the upside from the exit.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Warspite

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 13, 2013, 11:47:49 AM
Let's say the UK exits.  Then what?

If they want to keep access to the internal market, they have to join the EEA.  But that just subjects them to all the EU market rules while severely downgrading their ability to be involved in their development.  True the UK would thereby escape the full fiscal apparatus of the EU but they are insulated from the potential negative effects of that already by the Rebate.

The alternative would be to stay outside the EEA as well but that would leave them outside their biggest market.  In theory the UK could negotiate its own bespoke trade and investment treaties, but it would have to get on line with the likes of the US, China, Brazil, Russia, Turkey, etc.  From the EU's POV the UK (standing alone) would not necessarily be viewed as a much higher priority then those other relationships.

I don't see the upside from the exit.

I agree with you.

However, the Little Englander view is that the UK could depart from the EU and would still be better off for two reasons: first, the UK would be able to better pursue exports to higher-growth markets (ie Asia, Africa and Latin America); second, that the costs of EU contributions and regulatory frameworks outweigh the benefits of the single market. In other words, they reject your argument that these would be economically bad for the UK.

I think I have heard mention that outside of the EU, the UK could unilaterally dissolve all tariffs and basically go it alone on free trade (think tanks like the Adam Smith Institute advocate this).

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

alfred russel

Quote from: Warspite on May 13, 2013, 12:35:39 PM
I agree with you.

However, the Little Englander view is that the UK could depart from the EU and would still be better off for two reasons: first, the UK would be able to better pursue exports to higher-growth markets (ie Asia, Africa and Latin America); second, that the costs of EU contributions and regulatory frameworks outweigh the benefits of the single market. In other words, they reject your argument that these would be economically bad for the UK.

I think I have heard mention that outside of the EU, the UK could unilaterally dissolve all tariffs and basically go it alone on free trade (think tanks like the Adam Smith Institute advocate this).

From what I understand, the UK contributions to the EU are not very substantial.