News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on March 02, 2016, 10:05:37 PM

I remember there was a term "enthusiasm gap" used in 2012.

It seems less fitting when turnout is driven by a portion of the electorate fired up about a lunatic, and the other portion driven to the polls in terror of the lunatic.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: alfred russel on March 02, 2016, 10:05:10 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on March 02, 2016, 09:28:18 PM
It needs to be burned to the ground in its current state.  It's a disgrace.

The way it needs to burn is to nominate someone reasonable (okay that may be farfetched if Cruz is the most likely alternative, but hang with me) and then have Trump walk out and take the crazies with him. Not nominating Trump and have the non crazies walk out.

I don't think it'll happen. Already, my relatives are lining up saying they hate Trump but he's better than Hillary. Trump has an energized vote, and he has a resigned vote.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on March 02, 2016, 10:10:30 PM

It seems less fitting when turnout is driven by a portion of the electorate fired up about a lunatic, and the other portion driven to the polls in terror of the lunatic.

But enough about Obama ;)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on March 02, 2016, 10:49:22 PM

Let's dispel once and for all with this fiction that Barack Obama doesn't know what he's doing. He knows exactly what he's doing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

You know, I bet the GOP wishes it had super delegates right about now.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on March 02, 2016, 10:49:22 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on March 02, 2016, 10:10:30 PM

:lol:

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on March 03, 2016, 12:15:27 AM
You know, I bet the GOP wishes it had super delegates right about now.

I wish I had superpowers.

Martinus

Berkut

Quote from: dps on March 02, 2016, 05:41:10 PM
Quote from: Malthus on March 02, 2016, 01:20:32 PM
What will Languish Republicans do in the actual election if (looking more like when) Trump wins this race? Vote for him, stay home, switch to Democrat?  :hmm:

I posted several months ago that if the nominees were Trump and Clinton, I'd vote for a 3rd party candidate.  However, at that time, I didn't think that Trump could win the nomination, and that in the highly unlikely event that he did so, Hillary would trounce him easily.  Now, however, it seems possible that Trump will not only win the nomination, but maybe the general election.  So, at this point, I'm in wait and see mode.  If either Trump or Clinton is well ahead of the other, or if it's close but not in NC, I'll still vote for a 3rd party candidate.  But if it looks like it'll be close, and NC is in play, I'll very reluctantly vote for Clinton.

It'll be like having to vote for greedy, corrupt used car salesman because the other candidate is a drunkard with an IQ of about 70.

Mind you, I'm still hoping that Trump won't be the Republican nominee.

Don't we all? Well, at least we all SAY that. Apparently it is the case that what people do in the voting booth, and what they claim to support are rather different. I think we see that with some of our Languish posters.

It is really very simple.

Trump is not a candidate who one can just claim they are turning their nose up and casting a vote for as the least bad candidate.

He is a racist, populist wanna be fascist. You cannot with any credibility, come up with any valid reason for casting a vote in his favor other than that you want a fascist to be President.

So spicey can pretend like his vote is about Clinton, but at the end of the day no matter what you think about Clinton, she isn't a wanna-be fucking Nazi.

Voting for the wanna-be Nazi cannot possibly be justified by anything that is going to outweigh the fact that you are casting a vote for the wanna-be Nazi, and hence you at some level want that guy to win over the alternative.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Martinus

If America was a single person, then Trump would be, psychologically speaking, its Shadow - a projection of its true self that accumulates all the "bad" qualities that the person wants to deny and suppress about themselves. I think for the rest of us, watching you guys struggle with Trump is so amusing also because he so much embodies the way we feel you actually are - so you guys seeing him as some kind of a demon that came out of nowhere is quite entertaining. If he is elected, he will embody America more than any President at least since Reagan.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Phillip V

Republican turnout in my Virginia county (Arlington) more than doubled from 2008.  Kasich came in second to Rubio.

https://www.arlnow.com/2016/03/01/arlington-votes-for-clinton-rubio-in-banner-night-for-gop-turnout/

Martinus

Quote from: 11B4V on March 03, 2016, 01:42:44 AM
No.

Yes. Ask a random person in the ROTW to describe a stereotypical American and chances are you will get something similar to Trump.

You have been telling us all that time that the stereotype is not true, but here comes Trump, and basically shows it has been true all along. That's why you are so mad.

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on March 03, 2016, 01:45:10 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on March 03, 2016, 01:42:44 AM
No.

Yes. Ask a random person in the ROTW to describe a stereotypical American and chances are you will get something similar to Trump.
I don't give a fuck about the ROTW's opinion
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".