News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Thought of voting in the overseas primary for the Dems, decided not to.  Don't like the idea of voting in some weird amorphous overseas primary. I'll vote in the general election and that's it.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Yeah it was really scary and so amorphous.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on March 01, 2016, 06:42:49 PM
Yeah it was really scary and so amorphous.

I didn't say it was scary. I just don't like not voting in my home state's primary.

1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

The problem with Trump as a candidate transcends good or bad.  It is category problem.  Ted Cruz is a bad candidate.  Ron Paul was a bad candidate.  Donald Trump has no business being a candidate at all.  It is if Tom Cruise ran for President.  Or Martin Shkreli.  Or Kanye West.  It wouldn't really matter what their positions on foreign policy or agriculture are or whether they even have one.  They aren't fit to run in the first place.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 01, 2016, 06:46:36 PM
The problem with Trump as a candidate transcends good or bad.  It is category problem.  Ted Cruz is a bad candidate.  Ron Paul was a bad candidate.  Donald Trump has no business being a candidate at all.  It is if Tom Cruise ran for President.  Or Martin Shkreli.  Or Kanye West.  It wouldn't really matter what their positions on foreign policy or agriculture are or whether they even have one.  They aren't fit to run in the first place.

Whatever you think of their record, we've had an actor as a two term president, and two actors as governors of California, that ship sailed a long time ago.

1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

I don't have a problem with actors. 
I have a problem with people who lack the basic rudiments of self-control.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Legbiter

Quote from: Malthus on March 01, 2016, 04:48:45 PMHillary, who comes across as slightly reptilian/Nixonlike herself, will be up against a guy who, however much his supporters like him, looks like a strutting, bullying loudmouthed troll with a bad hairpiece.  ;)

Yes.

A Trump landslide victory.  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

jimmy olsen

For those keeping track of the delegate count, keep these numbers in mind

QuoteAccording to FiveThirtyEight's handy new delegate interactive, Trump needs about 225 delegates in tonight's contests to be "on track" to win 1,237 — a majority — of convention delegates by June. By contrast, Cruz needs 302 delegates (mostly because his route runs through his home state of Texas), while Rubio needs only about 203.

However, given Trump's dominance so far, winning only 225 delegates tonight would have to be considered something of a disappointment for his backers. What would a really terrific Trump night look like? I'd argue that he would need to win more than 300 of the 595 available to look dominant. What would an OK/unsurprising night look like? Probably between 250 and 300.

How about a disappointing night for Trump? That probably means anything less than 250, which would open the door for Rubio or someone else to overtake him in later winner-take-all states. Fellow data nerds: agree or disagree on these over/unders?

1 Karma Chameleon point

lustindarkness

I'm at the polling place,  we're all in classrooms and hallway,  the voting area is a gym and voting is suspended until this tornado decides to leave us alone.  LOL
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

jimmy olsen

Quote from: lustindarkness on March 01, 2016, 07:02:24 PM
I'm at the polling place,  we're all in classrooms and hallway,  the voting area is a gym and voting is suspended until this tornado decides to leave us alone.  LOL

Woah, stay safe!

1 Karma Chameleon point

Phillip V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on March 01, 2016, 07:00:32 PM
For those keeping track of the delegate count, keep these numbers in mind

QuoteAccording to FiveThirtyEight's handy new delegate interactive, Trump needs about 225 delegates in tonight's contests to be "on track" to win 1,237 — a majority — of convention delegates by June. By contrast, Cruz needs 302 delegates (mostly because his route runs through his home state of Texas), while Rubio needs only about 203.

However, given Trump's dominance so far, winning only 225 delegates tonight would have to be considered something of a disappointment for his backers. What would a really terrific Trump night look like? I'd argue that he would need to win more than 300 of the 595 available to look dominant. What would an OK/unsurprising night look like? Probably between 250 and 300.

How about a disappointing night for Trump? That probably means anything less than 250, which would open the door for Rubio or someone else to overtake him in later winner-take-all states. Fellow data nerds: agree or disagree on these over/unders?

I am keeping things simple by just looking to see if anybody other than Trump wins a state.  Delegates do not matter if Rubio yet again never places 1st anywhere.  And it would be hilarious if the upset win of tonight is Trump beating Cruz in Texas.

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 01, 2016, 06:46:36 PM

Thing is, I can deplore a Tom Cruise as candidate, but I can understand his appeal to the ignorant - even if he hasn't a thought in his head not put there by Scientology, he's at least handsome and can project charisma. I can see (but dislike) a charismatic bubblehead as candidate.

What I don't understand as candidate is a bubblehead with serious negative charisma - an ugly, nasty troll of a man, who is also transparently a huckster; a guy who positively flaunts his bad taste, his wealth, his ignorance on every important issue, and his lack of any sort of class in behavior or speech; and who is popular, not despite these things, but apparently because of them.

This I just don't understand.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

As expected

QuoteAlmost immediately as polls close, the Associated Press projects Vermont senator Bernie Sanders to have won his home state – as overwhelmingly predicted.

And no big surprise in the Clinton wins in Georgia and Virginia – the larger delegate hauls, with 109 delegates at stake in Virginia and 117 in Georgia. The delegates are awarded proportionally, so the final margin will matter.

1 Karma Chameleon point

lustindarkness

I got a sticker! :w00t:

Reports of a tornado touched down close by.   :(
Grand Duke of Lurkdom