News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Legbiter on September 21, 2015, 07:44:07 AM

He looks antifragile, the more the media attack him the more popular he gets.  :hmm:

It's a GOP primary. They view the media as their enemy.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on September 20, 2015, 07:36:33 PM
Trump is actually offering voters both the intolerance and by GOP standards pretty populist economic platform.  Turns out that a lot of people prefer that to what GOP has to offer.

The revenge of George Wallace.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on September 21, 2015, 03:53:25 PM
Walker's out.
Wow, that's frankly shocking. I thought he'd hang around longer than that, but from what I heard he blew too much of the money he was given on setting up a national organization rather than focusing on Iowa and New Hampshire.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Not really how was he expecting to compete with less than 1%? Smart move IMO.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DGuller

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 21, 2015, 09:26:09 AM
Quote from: DGuller on September 20, 2015, 07:38:29 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 20, 2015, 07:18:43 PM
It doesn't look too far off-base to me. Walker's been on a downward trend already, and his lackluster performance in the debates has sealed the deal regardless of how much SuperPac $$$ he has. Fiorina's support is going to draw from the outsider group - Carson and Trump - and that's what appears to happen. Rubio can be explained as being the only presidential-looking non-inept establishment candidate. The exact amount of support is debatable but the trend isn't suspicious.
You can always create a narrative for the numbers, but I'm still skeptical.  I would not be surprised if other polls that come out don't agree with these results.

In what way would you expect it to be different?
Not picking a fight - just curious.
Less of a departure from pre-debate numbers.  And Walker with more than 0% support.

mongers

Two down, Fourteen to go. :bleeding:

Couldn't all but one or two give up now, to save people from this protracted process. Then we get to see Trump face off against a couple of substantial opponents for a long enough time to better reveal his failings as a candidate? 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

This election for me will be the same as the last. Who I dislike the least.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

Quote from: 11B4V on September 21, 2015, 05:23:47 PM
Not really how was he expecting to compete with less than 1%? Smart move IMO.
He was leading Iowa in July and was 2nd nationally. It's a stunning collapse.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on September 21, 2015, 06:33:40 PM
He's just not interesting enough.
He has everything the GOP base likes. Won state wide election in a blue state three times while governing in a very conservative way. Crushed organized labor. The monied elites like him and the social conservatives like him. His favorable numbers are good.

This is a campaign whose ineptness will go down on the level of Perry's 2012 effort.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Nobody cares about that shit, Tim.  They want zingers and one-liners.

Admiral Yi

alfred russel

Quote from: mongers on September 21, 2015, 05:55:34 PM
Two down, Fourteen to go. :bleeding:

Couldn't all but one or two give up now, to save people from this protracted process. Then we get to see Trump face off against a couple of substantial opponents for a long enough time to better reveal his failings as a candidate?

Not to give too much credit to Rick Perry and Walker, but they were two of the "substantial" candidates. The clowns aren't going anywhere.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014