News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

I'm pretty sure that if someone got publicity for raping underage children, that publicity would most definitely be bad publicity.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Trump is a 70 year old man that somehow slept through the entire Cold War.

Jesus wept.

Click to watch the video
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/03/trump-asks-why-us-cant-use-nukes-msnbcs-joe-scarborough-reports.html

QuoteTrump asked a foreign policy expert advising him why the U.S. can't use nuclear weapons, MSNBC's Joe Scarborough said on the air Wednesday, citing an unnamed source who claimed he had spoken with the GOP presidential nominee.

"Several months ago, a foreign policy expert on the international level went to advise Donald Trump. And three times [Trump] asked about the use of nuclear weapons. Three times he asked at one point if we had them why can't we use them," Scarborough said on his "Morning Joe" program.

Scarborough made the Trump comments 52 seconds into an interview with former Director of Central Intelligence and ex-National Security Agency Director Michael Hayden

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Are there any checks and balances to prevent a US president from just pressing the nuclear button?  What if somebody from Houston insults him and he insists in nuking Houston? 

Berkut

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 02, 2016, 01:42:08 PM
QuoteTrue enough - lucky for us that problem is uniquely Republican, and the Dems have never done anything like that themselves.
Has any party candidate ever said 100 days before the election that they think it'll be rigged and stolen from them and that there'll be a bloodbath over it?

Not that I am aware of, but DG was saying this was a result of the Republicans doing this in the past in other elections, or things like it, which the Dems certainly have done on occasion.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

lustindarkness

Quote from: Monoriu on August 03, 2016, 08:27:22 AM
Are there any checks and balances to prevent a US president from just pressing the nuclear button?  What if somebody from Houston insults him and he insists in nuking Houston? 

Houston? There are better candidates for getting nuked you know. I'd be OK with nuking LA for example.

In other news, I am tired about Trump, and I hope everyone else gets tired of his shit show soon.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Berkut

I know this has been predicted before, but I do think we are seeing the beginning of the end of the Trump show.

In one sense, his own self-immolation is a little disappointing - I wanted to see him defeated because the American public realized what a douchebag he is without him needing to really drive it down their throats. Apparently he isn't going to give them the chance though.

I think people are wrong as well about Ryan and McCain. I think they should both pull their endorsements, and they should do it now, before their primaries.

Ryan especially has a future as the guy who could lead the re-building of the GOP. He has tried to walk a rather fine line obviously, and everyone knows that the effort on his part has been to NOT repudiate Trump. That isn't a secret to anyone at this point. He can say he did his best to unify the party, and Trump made that impossible, and go back to the high road.

It is a risky plan, but they are all risky at this point - there is no possible "safe" play. So you might as well take the one that can potentially net you the greatest return.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

Trolling of the highest caliber!

1 Karma Chameleon point

Legbiter

Quote from: LaCroix on August 03, 2016, 04:35:39 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/03/us/politics/donald-trump-gop.html?_r=0
QuoteRepublican strategists who once imagined Mr. Trump could be brought under control in a general election all but openly acknowledged this week that that prospect had vanished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcnogXICTeA

How will Trump survive this calamity?

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Legbiter on August 03, 2016, 09:18:34 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on August 03, 2016, 04:35:39 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/03/us/politics/donald-trump-gop.html?_r=0
QuoteRepublican strategists who once imagined Mr. Trump could be brought under control in a general election all but openly acknowledged this week that that prospect had vanished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcnogXICTeA

How will Trump survive this calamity?

Exhort his followers to suicide bomb GOP offices

God emperor Trump wills it!!!!

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on August 03, 2016, 04:01:33 AM
How is Obama working to lock them into supporting Trump, a perfect play? Seems like a mighty gamble for the Republic.

I agree.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

In between attacking his own party and the parents of a dead soldier yesterday, and pursuing his bizarre vendetta against a Columbus, Ohio fire marshall, Trump found time to talk down the stock market, apparently on the theory that if he can still win if there is a market crash and financial panic.

This has gone past the stage of political schadenfreude, where one takes pleasure in the gaffes of the candidate one opposes.  It is becoming painful to watch a human being publically unravel like this.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 03, 2016, 09:41:40 AM
In between attacking his own party and the parents of a dead soldier yesterday, and pursuing his bizarre vendetta against a Columbus, Ohio fire marshall, Trump found time to talk down the stock market, apparently on the theory that if he can still win if there is a market crash and financial panic.

This has gone past the stage of political schadenfreude, where one takes pleasure in the gaffes of the candidate one opposes.  It is becoming painful to watch a human being publically unravel like this.

Hey now, that's a mighty big assumption you're trying to slip past us.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

There was also the incident of him kicking a baby out of his rally for crying and his comment about wanting to have a Purple Heart because it was "easier" than campaigning for President. 

All that in one day. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Monoriu

Quote from: lustindarkness on August 03, 2016, 09:08:59 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on August 03, 2016, 08:27:22 AM

Houston? There are better candidates for getting nuked you know. I'd be OK with nuking LA for example.

In other news, I am tired about Trump, and I hope everyone else gets tired of his shit show soon.

I seem to recall that Houston was nuked in the first Independence Day movie :nerd: