News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2016 elections - because it's never too early

Started by merithyn, May 09, 2013, 07:37:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 12, 2015, 09:13:09 AM
Out of touch executive, yeah.  But that's all of them.

Wow.  I was starting to have my doubts as to whether this scandal would hurt her.  But when you're forced to make a concession like that, she must be in trouble.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on March 12, 2015, 09:18:09 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 12, 2015, 09:13:09 AM
Out of touch executive, yeah.  But that's all of them.

Wow.  I was starting to have my doubts as to whether this scandal would hurt her.  But when you're forced to make a concession like that, she must be in trouble.

I don't think that's too much of a reach to say people at the level of Hillary Clinton are out of touch. The woman hasn't driven a car since 1996.  So if she's the type of person you don't expect to see in front of you at a Target, you honestly think she's going to sit through the same computer-based training on .gov email protocol as every other federal employee?  Where the fuck is FunkMonk, anyway?

Fuck, I've seen worst behavior from regular executives, let alone political royalty. 

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on March 12, 2015, 04:00:15 AM
A new one from my sisters: :rolleyes:

That would have excluded from the Presidency Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, and JQ Adams, I.,e, the first six Presidents.  So probably not in accord with the vision of the founders.    ;)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

A new one from my sisters:
:rolleyes:

That would just mean every politician would be in the Coast Guard Reserve or something.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on March 12, 2015, 01:40:36 PM
A new one from my sisters: :rolleyes:

That would have excluded from the Presidency Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison, Monroe, and JQ Adams, I.,e, the first six Presidents.  So probably not in accord with the vision of the founders.    ;)

I'm sure Washington gets a pass.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

What about that unpatriotic cad John Adams?  No wonder he failed to turn that quasi-war into an actual war.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Quote'I hate to mention it,' says Rudy Giuliani, but Obama should be more like Cosby and maybe Nixon
Fred Barbash
Morning Mix
Washington Post

Even though Rudy Giuliani thinks President Obama does not love America, the former New York mayor thinks there is still hope for the president's legacy. He's got "credentials as an African American" and ought to be out there talking to "African American men about the large incidence of crime" committed by African American men. Just like Bill Cosby.

That's what the former New York mayor said in an AM970 radio interview yesterday with host John Gambling egging him on.

"If an African American president stood up and said — I hate to mention it because of what happened afterwards — the kind of stuff that Bill Cosby used to say," Giuliani told Gambling, the "first guy to applaud him would be me. If he does that, I'm telling you, whatever he does right or wrong he gets a place in history."

Giuliani was apparently referring to Cosby's years lecturing African Americans about the behavior of their children and urging young blacks to "pull up your pants." Now he's in trouble, accused by more than 25 women of sexual advances and sexual assaults. But these alleged incidents did not happen "afterwards" as Giuliani said. The allegations range over most of his celebrated career, from his pioneering years as the first black star of a network television drama in 1965 to the mid-2000s, when Cosby was firmly entrenched as an elder statesman of the entertainment industry, a philanthropist and a scolding public conscience of the African American community.

But never mind.

Thursday's interview with Giuliani began with him blaming Obama once again for cops being shot in New York and, Wednesday, in Ferguson, Mo. "It all starts at the top," the former mayor said. "It's the tone set by the president."

Still, he said, Obama has an opportunity to redeem himself. "I explained it this way to a person very close" to the president. Giuliani said. "I said this is like Nixon going to China. Nixon could go to China because Nixon was a strong anti-communist going back to the McCarthy era....Well this guy has credentials as an African American. If he stands up and says, 'You see my family, my daughters, my wife, the way we're together.' This is the model. This is the model we need."

He added: "This president has a chance to leave a legacy that no other president will have a chance to leave until we get another African American president, and who knows when that's gonna be, right?"

President Barack Obama, the sheriff of Rock Ridge.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Well um...huh.  Not even sure what to say to that.

DGuller

Admiral Yi

I think he makes a damn good point.  The only wacky part IMO is saying Obama is responsible for cop killings, which is a characterization, not a quote.

The rebuttal of course is that any black who dares to criticize black behavior runs the very real risk of being dismissed as an Uncle Tom, or an Oreo, or "not keeping it real."

Valmy

Does he?  Besides I am pretty sure he has made many statements encouraging people to do the right thing.  The only thing he has not done is pronounce judgment on all black men which seems a little ridiculous to me.  I don't think black people have a problem with anybody calling out specific black people who have acted poorly, but calling out all black men as responsible for crap another black man has done seems...

I don't know.  I would roll my eyes if some white male president was all 'all you white men need to stop being misogynist, racist pigs and shape up'.  Why would simply saying 'misogyny and racism have no place in our society' not be sufficient?  Why would he have to call out all white men for the sins of a fraction of debatable size?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2015, 01:18:46 PM
calling out all black men as responsible for crap another black man has done seems...

I don't see where you get this from.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 13, 2015, 01:21:44 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2015, 01:18:46 PM
calling out all black men as responsible for crap another black man has done seems...

I don't see where you get this from.

It says it right there in the article.

Quotetalking to "African American men about the large incidence of crime" committed by African American men.

'You African American men need to stop committing so many crimes' I mean come on.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on March 13, 2015, 01:25:35 PM
It says it right there in the article.

Quotetalking to "African American men about the large incidence of crime" committed by African American men.

'You African American men need to stop committing so many crimes' I mean come on.

That's not a logical interpretation of that sentence.

If someone were to say "Whitey McCracker should talk to whites about white racism" no one would assume that meant that every single white was racist.