News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What Is The Social Utility Of Your Job ?

Started by mongers, May 02, 2013, 08:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on May 02, 2013, 09:17:24 PM
Pffft you can't even afford a horse you inbred yokel.

I can't stand the animals personally. Always judging, forming secret plots with other horses.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

I think that this is the proper thread to say that I am not fond of kale.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

crazy canuck

Quote from: PDH on May 02, 2013, 09:23:04 PM
I think that this is the proper thread to say that I am not fond of kale.

You just havent had it prepared properly.

CountDeMoney

mongers

To answer my own question, very,very little trending to none.

In the past I've worked for a few charities, but I think objectively it hasn't been a great deal.   

In addition to medical workers clearly being rather social useful, though I do know some who just seem to turn up to do the job/take the money, I'm slowing coming around to the idea that lawyers, if they put their minds to it, can have the potential to be quite socially helpful, especially as so many modern battles for the poor, sick or disadvantaged can be most effectively be fought in the courts ! 

edit:
I would say my ex-neighbour is a top bloke, a now retired fire-fighter and funeral director; there were times when he rescued people or saw their life ebb away and the next day he had to deal with their cadaver.
He officiated at my old man's funeral, the guy's a pillar of the community, not so many of those around nowadays.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Because of me, pharma companies know how to better to "speak" to you, raising your overall awareness of treatments for your ailments. You're welcome. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on May 02, 2013, 10:08:34 PM
Because of me, pharma companies know how to better to "speak" to you, raising your overall awareness of treatments for your ailments. You're welcome. :)

They don't need to "speak" to me as much as they need to stop fucking shafting me on cost, mmmkaythxfernuffinbuhbye

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 02, 2013, 10:10:10 PM

They don't need to "speak" to me as much as they need to stop fucking shafting me on cost, mmmkaythxfernuffinbuhbye

Can't you apply for the free co=pay cards now?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Meh, I'll be enrolling in Obamacare in time for my COBRA to end in December.  :smarty:  Thanks, Mr. Prez! :thumbsup:

katmai

Can yo do something about the "helping" drugs not having like 15 side effects that make life worse?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

I lock up bad people so they can't hurt anyone else. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: katmai on May 02, 2013, 10:12:55 PM

Can yo do something about the "helping" drugs not having like 15 side effects that make life worse?

Can you do something about your bad genetics making yourself susceptible to the rarely occurring side effects?

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on May 02, 2013, 10:31:18 PM

Can you do something about your bad genetics making yourself susceptible to the rarely occurring side effects?

can you do something about drug companies advertising that side effects are rare when in fact they are common?

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 02, 2013, 10:32:31 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 02, 2013, 10:31:18 PM

can you do something about drug companies advertising that side effects are rare when in fact they are common?

Except they aren't. When severe side effects become common, isn't so long till FDA withdraws approval. Meanwhile, just needs a couple occurrences (which I have to report) until FDA requires side effect to be listed even if casuality has not been established.

MadImmortalMan

Is it a contest? What do we get for having the most bestest social value job?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers