Main Menu

Too smart to be a cop?

Started by ulmont, May 01, 2013, 12:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Phillip V on May 01, 2013, 05:04:22 PM
Quote from: garbon on May 01, 2013, 04:52:53 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on May 01, 2013, 04:39:52 PM
I like a "boring" job as long as they pay me lots of money for little work.

No it ends up kinda soul crushing. Sure it beats being unemployed but it isn't very fun to spend a large chunk of time doing dull things.
That's why I say "little work". If there is a lot of down time on the job in between "boring" taks, I can do the main things in life that I enjoy, such as reading and writing.

Yeah but then you're just saying you'd like to make money and rarely have to do work. Hardly a radical statement.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Barrister on May 01, 2013, 05:05:36 PM
But it's not really an intelligence issue.  It's a talent/qualifications issue.

I can understand thinking "this guy is way too qualified - he'll have too many other opportunities, and will leave within a few months".  But talented is only very loosely connected to intelligence.

In some lines of work it is, in some it isn't.  The first half of that is relevant regardless, though.  If someone has talent but doesn't realize they can do better, they won't try.  Maybe that isn't directly an intelligence thing, but I think more intelligent people are more likely to recognize a bad situation and work to change it.

garbon

At the same time, I think in many lines of work, bad situations stem from failed management and not so much that management realizes the situation is shitty and parses out who will put up with it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

True.  To do so consciously would be indicative of truly dysfunctional and sociopathic management.  But, at least in the tech world, "cultural fit" has become a rage and I definitely see it happening unconsciously or indirectly under that guise.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on May 01, 2013, 05:28:45 PM
Maybe that isn't directly an intelligence thing, but I think more intelligent people are more likely to recognize a bad situation and work to change it.

Valid point.  Intelligent people--willing to use that intelligence, that is--stuck in "boring" work wind up trying to "fix" things, and all they do is wind up pissing off the boss and everybody else around them.

DGuller

CountDeMoney

People hate busybodies and do-gooders.

garbon

I now am part of a duo in charge of cleaning up my departments operational processes...or in other words getting Ops staff to do what we want in a way that they are okay with. My boss created it as a goal for me on my 2013 review.

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 01, 2013, 05:49:07 PM
People hate busybodies and do-gooders.

Isn't that what cops are?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

No, They Fight What You Fear.
Which, in your case, happens to be sunlight.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 01, 2013, 07:48:57 PM

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Wow. That is bizzare.
You'd have thought they would have special streams for the intelligent folks where they get training in computer security or something of the sort.

When I saw the title I thought more of a problem would be the lack of smart kids going into police work- most kids with an ounce of brains being told their only chance in life is to go to university and the police being regarded as a mundane job (as if post-university jobs aren't...).

Quote from: garbon on May 01, 2013, 04:52:53 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on May 01, 2013, 04:39:52 PM
I like a "boring" job as long as they pay me lots of money for little work.

No it ends up kinda soul crushing. Sure it beats being unemployed but it isn't very fun to spend a large chunk of time doing dull things.
:yes:
Much of my current job is a form of paid unemployment. I was just musing this morning how it is sort of like being in prison (albeit emphasis on the sort of) and how I wish I could do something with my life. It sucks massively.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 01, 2013, 07:48:57 PM

They hunt whales as well?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on May 01, 2013, 08:07:31 PM
Wow. That is bizzare.
You'd have thought they would have special streams for the intelligent folks where they get training in computer security or something of the sort.

This is a local police force.  They don't do that kind of thing.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on May 01, 2013, 08:07:31 PM
Wow. That is bizzare.

Doesn't work that way.  Law enforcement is a rank structure with a dysfunctional culture.  Far too many in leadership exist--and always will--with the attitude of "I had to do it the hard way, so will you." 
In short, you have to put your time in.
That's why they send sergeants from Traffic Enforcement to some computer camp, and they end up blowing forensics evidence because they don't know what they're doing.  See: Anthony, Casey.

Mind you, they're getting more progressive.  In the 60s, my Dad was always told that he'd go nowhere in the police department with a college education.  You simply didn't mention it.  Luckily, Commissioner Pomerleau didn't see it that way.