News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Too smart to be a cop?

Started by ulmont, May 01, 2013, 12:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

The jokes almost write themselves...

QuoteA man whose bid to become a police officer was rejected after he scored too high on an intelligence test has lost an appeal in his federal lawsuit against the city.
Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took the exam in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125. But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/court-oks-barring-high-iqs-cops/story?id=95836#.UYFROeS-1I7

The Brain

IQ of 33 seems a bit high, yes.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

They are probably looking for the types that buy guns for their four year old kids.

CountDeMoney

They should've let him become one;  his IQ would've dropped enough over time.

Admiral Yi

Seems reasonable to me.  You need some way of amortizing training cost in the absence of indentured servitude contracts.

Viking

Mr. Einstein, you seem to have scored too high on the test to be a police officer. If you really want the job there is only one option. Here you have a paper bag and a stick of glue. Come back when you score below 30.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 01, 2013, 02:03:27 PM
Seems reasonable to me.  You need some way of amortizing training cost in the absence of indentured servitude contracts.

Would it be illegal/unconstitutional for them to have required terms of service like the military?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 01, 2013, 02:08:54 PM
Would it be illegal/unconstitutional for them to have required terms of service like the military?

Don't know.

CountDeMoney

Quoteon the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.

It is a pretty silly theory, though.  I've known incredibly accomplished people from other walks of life--a college instructor, IT tards, a chemist, even a former MLB pitcher--leave their professions because they liked the concept of driving the car with the nifty light bar to fight crime and suppress evil. 
Mainly because they wanted to do it ever since they were a kid and they finally had the chance whether through retirement, divorce, or the kids finally moved out of the house. 

Shouldn't hold their intelligence against them; then again, police agencies aren't always known for flexing theirs.

merithyn

If my company pays for training for me (specifically college costs), then I'm required to spend at least two years at my current company or pay them back. So, it's not illegal.

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with a police officer being forced to stay on the job longer than he/she wants to be there, however. That just seems like a receipe for disaster.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Virtually all agencies now have you sign an agreement upon hire to reimburse the agency for training if you leave within 2 or 3 years as a condition of employment.  I've never seen it enforced myself, though.

crazy canuck

Not sure what you have in mind but generally contracts of personal service cannot be enforced by an order of specific performance.  They way most organizations get around this problem is contractual provisions which require the employee pay back x amount of training costs if they leave before x date.

The military has its own military law so that might be how they get around the problem.

Tonitrus

Quote from: merithyn on May 01, 2013, 02:13:01 PM
If my company pays for training for me (specifically college costs), then I'm required to spend at least two years at my current company or pay them back. So, it's not illegal.

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with a police officer being forced to stay on the job longer than he/she wants to be there, however. That just seems like a receipe for disaster.

Would you be comfortable with someone in the military working with high-value weapons/explosives/top secret info, etc being forced to stay if they no longer want to be there?  :sleep:

For language-training jobs (which can require upwards of two years, just in training), the USAF recently eliminated the 4-year enlistment option, and now requires the previously optional 6-year term.

garbon

I applied for a job that is about a 5 minute walk from my current apt. The interviewer flat out told me that he had concerns that I'd be bored and leave because of my intelligence.  I was: not amused though he was right it was a boring job. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Is the thesis even true?  Are smart people more likely to grow bored and quit?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.