News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is EU3 fun yet?

Started by Faeelin, May 21, 2009, 05:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

Apparently I was mistaken - it *is* coming out this friday (oct 2nd).

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Alcibiades

Haven't gotten to try it yet, any good G?
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Caliga

I started another France game using this new mod.  I am perpetually poor, and the nonstop pirate stuff BUGS THE SHIT out of me (but this is not new to this version of MMP).

All I've really done so far is end the Hundred Years War and annex the Angevins.  While I was at war with England, after I occupied Saintogne some weird event triggered that transferred ownership of the province to me automatically.  Then I signed a white peace.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grallon

Quote from: Alcibiades on October 05, 2009, 08:37:21 AM
Haven't gotten to try it yet, any good G?

Just loaded the mod and fired a France game too.  But played only a few minutes.  You may want to check their manual (http://www.magnamundi.com/downloads/public_release/MagnaMundiPlatinum.pdf).  They've included social factions that have an impact on province and apparently can evolve into full fledge political oponents nation wide... 

In any case I'm still engrossed in LotRO so I don't really have time to test it.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

HisMajestyBOB

I'll be holding off on MMP2 until a) they revise and update the manual, and b) they work out the kinks and bugs. But mostly because I have a pretty good game as the Papal State going right now, and want to play it out.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Alcibiades

Yeah, I'm just going to wait for the first patch personally.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

DGuller

I finally discovered EU3.  Better late than never, I guess.  I really like the gameplay so far, I think a lot of EU2 annoyances were ironed out, and some good ideas from other games got incorporated.  One gameplay thing I noticed is that badboy doesn't seem to do much to constrain your expansion.  I've managed to annex most of Europe in 200 years as Bohemia/Germany without ever setting off a BB war.  I had to be mindful of my reputation while expanding, but nothing truly bad ever happened to me for devouring everyone in my path.  Then again, I guess it wouldn't be a fun game if you weren't allowed to steamroll everyone.

Josephus

Quote from: DGuller on October 05, 2009, 11:30:59 PM
I finally discovered EU3.  Better late than never, I guess.  I really like the gameplay so far, I think a lot of EU2 annoyances were ironed out, and some good ideas from other games got incorporated.  One gameplay thing I noticed is that badboy doesn't seem to do much to constrain your expansion.  I've managed to annex most of Europe in 200 years as Bohemia/Germany without ever setting off a BB war.  I had to be mindful of my reputation while expanding, but nothing truly bad ever happened to me for devouring everyone in my path.  Then again, I guess it wouldn't be a fun game if you weren't allowed to steamroll everyone.

Well one of the problems with Paradox games, since one of the later patches in EU2, is that the AI, rightly or wrongly, is reluctant to DOW a large nation. This used to be an exploit in EU2. So what happens now is that the larger you get the less likely it is for the AI to DOW unless you have a super high badboy. The only thing slowing you down now is rebels.

[edit]: By "large" i mean "big army"
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

DGuller

Quote from: Josephus on October 06, 2009, 09:18:47 AM
Well one of the problems with Paradox games, since one of the later patches in EU2, is that the AI, rightly or wrongly, is reluctant to DOW a large nation. This used to be an exploit in EU2. So what happens now is that the larger you get the less likely it is for the AI to DOW unless you have a super high badboy. The only thing slowing you down now is rebels.

[edit]: By "large" i mean "big army"
Except when honoring a treaty, of course.  Like, say, I just obliterated all French forces on the mainland, stab-hit them to -3, and took five rich provinces from them.  One month after the truce, I DOW a one-province minor guaranteed by France, and France of course enters the war again.  Maybe it thinks that all the rebels running around their mainland unopposed are going to stop me.

Valmy

My experience with EU3 is that trying to limit your conquests...like say you just want to take what was historically France and that is it as France...generally leads to blobbing by everybody else and an endless stalemate between Empires that are strong but not strong enough to take each other out.

Oh and if you are in Asia forget it.  You better conquer everything or risk the wrath of the eventual Ming juggernaut.  You have very little time also.  The Ming will have conquered everything from Turkey to the Pacific by 1500.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grallon

Quote from: Valmy on October 06, 2009, 09:50:58 AM

Oh and if you are in Asia forget it.  You better conquer everything or risk the wrath of the eventual Ming juggernaut.  You have very little time also.  The Ming will have conquered everything from Turkey to the Pacific by 1500.

That's why nobody plays vanilla anymore.  MMP is the biggest mod but there are others out there too.  However in MMP1-2 China has been neutered, willingly, and efficiently with a series of flavorful events and modifiers. 

G.

~Jean-François Revel

Tamas

I havent tried MMP2 but after reading that Russia still forms by event (some poor guy as Sweden spent lots of diplomatic effor on keeping novgorod and muscowy balanced, just to have the former annexed by the latter by event), and Sweden gaining massive stacks of troops by event every time Russians control a province of theirs, well, I just don't feel like trying.
There is still SRI, which has all of the worthwhile MMP features, without the retarded determinism.

Grallon

~Jean-François Revel

Valmy

Quote from: Tamas on October 08, 2009, 12:33:10 PM
I havent tried MMP2 but after reading that Russia still forms by event (some poor guy as Sweden spent lots of diplomatic effor on keeping novgorod and muscowy balanced, just to have the former annexed by the latter by event), and Sweden gaining massive stacks of troops by event every time Russians control a province of theirs, well, I just don't feel like trying.
There is still SRI, which has all of the worthwhile MMP features, without the retarded determinism.

The event works like this: You become Russia when you are the only independent Russian country left.  I just got MMP and looked it up there is no event that gets one automatically annexed by another.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on October 10, 2009, 10:33:17 PM
Quote from: Tamas on October 08, 2009, 12:33:10 PM

The event works like this: You become Russia when you are the only independent Russian country left.  I just got MMP and looked it up there is no event that gets one automatically annexed by another.

Novgorod existed. Then it did not. Saw it happen in an own game of mine with an earlier MM version as well. One moment, divided Russian plains. Next moment: huge-ass Russia