I'd pay to use Jaron
3 (11.5%)
Other
4 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on February 27, 2013, 08:21:24 PM
Quote from: Josephus on February 27, 2013, 08:14:54 PM
Downtime? At Pearson International Airport? You're kidding right.

That means nothing to me. :unsure:

Canada's busiest Airport. It's our O'hare.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Neil on February 27, 2013, 08:03:48 PM
She's in Canada Customs.  The only thing she was conemplating is the obscene ways she was going to sex guys who were daring enough to sneak through extra duty-free booze.

:lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

I've noticed a few hotties working Canadian customs.

Even odder than that is how freakin' young some of them are.  "Are you girls doing this as a junior high project?"

dps

Quote from: garbon on February 27, 2013, 07:18:56 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 27, 2013, 06:53:16 PM
*Indeed, SC--the state that produced economic psychopath Jim DeMint--has been surprisingly progressive as far as their sales tax regime goes.  The tax on groceries is only 1%--this doesn't include cat food, though, and I'm considering calling my state rep to see if he can get that changed.  Kitties gotta eat too.

I'm confused. As far as I know most places don't charge tax on food groceries.

Some state do, some don't.  Of the ones that do, most tax groceries at a lower rate than other stuff, but even that's not universal (or at least it didn't use to be).

I voted "other".  I don't even know if NC charges a use tax, and I have no intention of finding out.

merithyn

Where's the option for "I was too broke to buy anything so I have no taxes to pay"? :unsure:

:P
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ideologue

Quote from: dps on February 27, 2013, 10:00:50 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 27, 2013, 07:18:56 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on February 27, 2013, 06:53:16 PM
*Indeed, SC--the state that produced economic psychopath Jim DeMint--has been surprisingly progressive as far as their sales tax regime goes.  The tax on groceries is only 1%--this doesn't include cat food, though, and I'm considering calling my state rep to see if he can get that changed.  Kitties gotta eat too.

I'm confused. As far as I know most places don't charge tax on food groceries.

Some state do, some don't.  Of the ones that do, most tax groceries at a lower rate than other stuff, but even that's not universal (or at least it didn't use to be).

I'm pretty sure it was less than a decade ago SC changed it--it used to be 6% like everything else.  (Well, almost everything.  Restaurant tax in Richland Cty. is like 9%.  Retarded.)

QuoteI voted "other".  I don't even know if NC charges a use tax, and I have no intention of finding out.

Quote from: NC Dept. of RevenueWhat is use tax?

The use tax is a tax due on purchases, leases, and rentals of tangible personal property and certain digital property purchased, leased or rented inside or outside this State for storage, use, or consumption in North Carolina. The use tax is also due on taxable services sourced to North Carolina. The use tax is paid to the North Carolina Department of Revenue by the purchaser when the North Carolina tax has not been collected by the seller.

What is the use tax rate?

The use tax is calculated at the same rate as the sales tax.

:)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Zanza

The European Union and customs make sure that I pay VAT no matter where I order something.No self declaration necessary.

Habbaku

Cheating on taxes is my God-given right as an American.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

fhdz

Quote from: Habbaku on February 28, 2013, 12:48:09 AM

God's gonna claim plausible deniability on that one.
and the horse you rode in on

grumbler

Quote from: fahdiz on February 28, 2013, 01:01:27 AM

God's gonna claim plausible deniability on that one.
That's because he also cheats on his taxes.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Typical Southern Conservative. :rolleyes:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

I haven't heard of a use tax here. But I'm sure Massachusetts will be looking at such a thing soon. New ways of taxing are always a win idea here.

I heard on the news this morning that the state is going ahead with a new type road toll on the Tobin bridge in Boston. People will pay tolls electronically with their ezpass device or pictures of license plates will be taken and you'll get a bill in the mail. Oh happy days. Partly because we use less gas in our fuel efficient cars the state needs new avenues of taxes for roads. Time to go back to the gas guzzlers I guess.     ;)

lustindarkness

Oh, so you also claim the 10% you give to the church every year? :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

garbon

Quote from: KRonn on February 28, 2013, 09:27:07 AM
I haven't heard of a use tax here. But I'm sure Massachusetts will be looking at such a thing soon. New ways of taxing are always a win idea here.

Google shows that Massachusetts has it.

On that toll road bit, that's how it is already on the Mass Pike. :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: dps on February 27, 2013, 10:00:50 PM

Well I looked and CA, MA and NY don't so that's good enough for me.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.