Penny pinching: Can Obama kill the one-cent coin?

Started by jimmy olsen, February 20, 2013, 12:19:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: mongers on February 20, 2013, 04:12:57 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 20, 2013, 04:11:42 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 20, 2013, 04:09:12 PM
Tip, you many want to cut back on the amount of smoking you do in that chair. 

Tip, cigarette lighters don't teleport themselves out of pockets when you're not smoking.

Yeah, but you've already set the trap.  :tickingtimebomb:   :P

The secret of spontanious human combustion: revealed!  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Neil on February 20, 2013, 04:02:40 PM
Coins don't really fall out of your pocket though.  I think you might be doing it wrong.

Perhaps I am as mine do.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on February 20, 2013, 03:48:58 PM
Say what now? Point taken on vending machines but tips? I don't see why a coin would be preferable there.

Coins stay on tables, rather than wafting to the floor in a passing breeze.

Admittedly they are no good for sticking to sweaty strippers, but I don't frequent such establishments.  :lol:

Dollars are not valuable? :unsure:

Not really.

Actually in either form they'd be fairly useless. Unless you are saying the dollar (and the 2-dollar) are on the same useless scale, not sure why you'd dollar denominations turned into coins.

My point is that they are useful, but not particularly valuable. They are for small transactions where you don't want to have to pull out your billfold.

Now, a good argument can be made for going cashless, but as long as cash is useful, a good argument can be made that one dollar is now, literally, "pocket change" for the same reason that one cent is worthless - inflation has changed the relative values of money.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on February 20, 2013, 04:22:53 PM
Say what now? Point taken on vending machines but tips? I don't see why a coin would be preferable there.

Admittedly they are no good for sticking to sweaty strippers, but I don't frequent such establishments.  :lol:

Don't they have a coin slot ?   :perv:     

:blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

alfred russel

Coins don't really fall out of your pocket though.  I think you might be doing it wrong.
So you just jingle jangle down street?
At any rate, it's all pointless anyways.  Cashless is the way of the future.

Thank goodness.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: mongers on February 20, 2013, 04:52:29 PM

That is what I thought. But that bouncer sure did disagree.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Malthus

Quote from: alfred russel on February 20, 2013, 05:30:34 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 20, 2013, 04:52:29 PM

That is what I thought. But that bouncer sure did disagree.

It may be especially problematic for the sort of strippers garbon is likely to watch.  :P

Neil

Quote from: alfred russel on February 20, 2013, 05:28:25 PM
So you just jingle jangle down street?
No.  I don't carry money.  We're further down the road to cashlessness than you guys are.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on February 20, 2013, 03:06:00 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 20, 2013, 02:50:57 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 20, 2013, 09:30:48 AM
I'm with you on the penny, but not the rest. I don't carry coins; and I don't have a wallet to accomodate them. Bills are much easier. I'm willing to pay in taxes the extra $2.00 or whatever my share is to keep the dollar bill.
The question is why do you carry cash?  And why small bills?  I have my cards, I have a few 20$ bills from the ATM, but that's all.
I'm not gonna carry 100$ on me in 1$ dollar coins.  Never did that with bills in the past.

In some cases they even have advantages over metric.
Please, make a list?

Some people don't take credit cards. For example, a person who alters my clothes out of her house only takes cash. Valets and parking attendants often only take cash.

Your wife charges you for fixing patching your clothing?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on February 20, 2013, 06:45:39 PM
Your wife charges you for fixing patching your clothing?

:Embarrass: What really hurts is she is the woman I was trying to pay when the bouncer got me.

Ed Anger

All this sounds like a foreign plot. UN out of the US.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josquius

Quote from: grumbler on February 20, 2013, 10:36:14 AM
Quote from: Tyr on February 20, 2013, 02:58:02 AM
Makes sense.

Its strange but I can't recall ever hearing of the penny being an issue in the UK but I have seen it from time to time about America. Its almost as stupid for Britain as for the US. :hmm:

Its strange that you wouldn't know about the controversy over the tiddler (the half-penny, which was the equivalent of the US penny), you being British and all, but, then, again, the tiddler was before your time and what Brit knows any of Britain's actual history?

Ironically, the argument over the tiddler was the exact opposite of the argument over the US penny; the public disliked the tiddler and the government liked it.

Part of the reason why the public hated the tiddler was its size, though.  Since British coins (within metal class) were proportional in weight to their value (a normally good idea) the tiddler had to be made half the weight of a penny and a quarter the weight of the tuppence.  If the tuppence was to be kept a reasonable weight, the tiddler had to be too small and easy to lose.  They were only in circulation for a dozen years or so.

:mellow:
Because I didn't mention the half penny I'm unaware that it ever existed?
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Grumbler some times gets his centuries mixed up.  He has confused the Norman half-penny and the decimal half-penny.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017