Chimps have better short-term memory than humans

Started by jimmy olsen, February 17, 2013, 05:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 17, 2013, 06:38:58 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 17, 2013, 06:16:17 PM
Not short term, but I'm always impressed when my kids memorize their text book. Useless, but impressive.

I always thought learning a language is all about memorization. :hmm:
It's not the right kind of memorization. Quoting me the 4 page dialogue from chapter six doesn't mean they understand what just came out of their mouth.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2013, 06:21:48 PM
Quote from: PDH on February 17, 2013, 06:07:56 PM
Well, it is semi-short term (if I get the nomenclature correct) - people could be given lists of things, often manifests, and they could recite them later to a clerk.

Ah.  I thought you were talking about stuff like reciting epic poems.

Epic poems have meter and rhyme, which helps with memory, if only because it rules out everything that doesn't rhyme or meter and it often uses standard formulae e.g. "Hector, Breaker of Horses" or "Swift footed Achilles" etc. Beowulf and Norse Epic poetry has similar memory aids.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on February 17, 2013, 06:51:56 PM
Epic poems have meter and rhyme, which helps with memory, if only because it rules out everything that doesn't rhyme or meter and it often uses standard formulae e.g. "Hector, Breaker of Horses" or "Swift footed Achilles" etc. Beowulf and Norse Epic poetry has similar memory aids.

And the fact that oral histories such as those were constantly repeated, as there were no other mediums available, didn't hurt either.