Chimps have better short-term memory than humans

Started by jimmy olsen, February 17, 2013, 05:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Seems like it would be advantageous to humans as well. I wonder, did this ability evolve after the chimp-hominid divergence, or has it been lost by us for some reason?

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/50834842/ns/technology_and_science-science/#.USFXFWfVCVE
Chimps have better short-term memory than humans
The incredible short-term (or "working") memory helps chimpanzees survive in the wild

By Douglas Main
updated 2/16/2013 6:21:28 PM ET

Chimpanzees may have more smarts than humans, at least regarding short-term memories, new research suggests.

A Japanese researcher presented a video showing the remarkable abilities of a chimpanzee named Ayumu, at the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) Thursday. When the numbers 1 through 9 appeared randomly on a screen and then disappeared, the chimpanzee was able to recall the exact sequence and location of each number. Ayumu has also learnt numbers 1 through 19 and is able to touch each one in ascending order, which hasn't been shown before, Tetsuro Matsuzawa, a researcher at Kyoto University's Primate Research Institute, told Livescience.

As Matsuzawa showed the video to a room of scientists and journalists, murmurs of amazement were heard. "Don't worry, nobody can do it," Matsuzawa said, with an almost mischievous smile. "It's impossible for you."

A select few humans have such abilities, but these are typically people with savant syndrome, which is accompanied by severe mental disabilities; it's simply beyond the powers of an ordinary human, Matsuzawa said. On the other hand, six out of six chimpanzees tested could rapidly remember the location and order of nine digits, he said.

This incredible short-term (or "working") memory helps chimpanzees survive in the wild, where they often must make rapid and complex decisions. Working memory is an active form of short-term memory, a mental workspace that allows the brain to juggle multiple thoughts simultaneously.

For chimps, the amazing working memory likely helps the animals navigate the branches of huge trees to feed, for example, or decide what to do when competing groups of animals are threatening one another, he said.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 17, 2013, 05:22:52 PM
Seems like it would be advantageous to humans as well. I wonder, did this ability evolve after the chimp-hominid divergence, or has it been lost by us for some reason?

I'm sure we discarded it. Not worth the energy cost.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

Orangs also have a fantastic memory. They manage to catalog and remember where and when trees fruit ripen as well as remembering "pathways" through the tree tops that they can traverse. They do this for a very large territory. Thats how they compete with birds to get there first.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

mongers

So Chimps could solve the travelling salesman challenge, seems rather appropriate. 

PDH

Before literacy became common people commonly remembered huge lists of things.  I would say that the "giving up" of this kind of memory is fairly recent.  We don't need it anymore.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Quote from: PDH on February 17, 2013, 06:02:10 PM
Before literacy became common people commonly remembered huge lists of things.  I would say that the "giving up" of this kind of memory is fairly recent.  We don't need it anymore.

Typically not stored in short term memory, no?

PDH

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 17, 2013, 06:06:16 PM
Quote from: PDH on February 17, 2013, 06:02:10 PM

Typically not stored in short term memory, no?

Well, it is semi-short term (if I get the nomenclature correct) - people could be given lists of things, often manifests, and they could recite them later to a clerk.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

PDH

The technique in the Middle Ages was likened to "walking through a building" where each room had a few things in it - people could remember quite long lists that way by subdividing each entry.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

mongers

Quote from: PDH on February 17, 2013, 06:09:10 PM
The technique in the Middle Ages was likened to "walking through a building" where each room had a few things in it - people could remember quite long lists that way by subdividing each entry.

Indeed and the classical Greeks used it before them.

jimmy olsen

Not short term, but I'm always impressed when my kids memorize their text book. Useless, but impressive.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Viking

Quote from: PDH on February 17, 2013, 06:09:10 PM

Memory training today often has the person construct a room or a house or some sort of space which he is in with objects and relate those objects to memories. I find it works just as well with stories rather than rooms and objects. The way I remember phone numbers is to remember them as sets of equations. e.g. my own phone number is ABCA(B+C)A(A-B)(B-C) right now, with the letters standing in for numbers.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: PDH on February 17, 2013, 06:07:56 PM
Well, it is semi-short term (if I get the nomenclature correct) - people could be given lists of things, often manifests, and they could recite them later to a clerk.

Ah.  I thought you were talking about stuff like reciting epic poems.

PDH

What is interesting to me, as you might have guessed from my jumping in, is how human memory has changed in the last 500 or so years.  Some of the memory marvels of today appear in late Medieval documents as fairly routine stuff.

The human brain was in bodies like these for at least two hundred thousand years before we figured out a good way to store knowledge outside of the mind.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 17, 2013, 06:16:17 PM
Not short term, but I'm always impressed when my kids memorize their text book. Useless, but impressive.

I always thought learning a language is all about memorization. :hmm: