News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Chucky Rangel wants to draft women

Started by MadImmortalMan, February 15, 2013, 04:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

http://thehill.com/video/house/283387-rangel-to-introduce-legislation-to-reinstating-the-draft-

I guess with the combat roles opening up it was only a matter of time before somebody started demanding this. I dunno.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

He already tried this. 

The first time it seemed like a transparent anti Gulf War tactic.  So it's a little weird he's bringing it up now.

Maybe getting censured by Nancy Pelosi fried his brain.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

QuoteIn an interview on MSNBC, Rangel said the draft should be reinstated because the majority of Americans make "no real sacrifice" when the country goes to war.

A good thing, if true.  Unfortunately, not a good thing, since we pay taxes to support the bloated, inefficient modern warfighting techniques employed by America in the 21st century.

I'd support requiring women to register for the selective service.  But resurrecting conscription, absent an actual or threatened continental war, is kind of batty.  The draft outlived its use by about twenty years anyway.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

Hell, having even men register for the Selective Service has been obsolete for some time now.

Legbiter

Biologically, male mammals are very, very expendable but females are precious. 99.99% of the entire Homo Sapiens male species could drop dead tomorrow and it would make no difference whatsoever biologically speaking to the survivability of the human race. 

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Legbiter on February 15, 2013, 05:08:51 PM
Biologically, male mammals are very, very expendable but females are precious. 99.99% of the entire Homo Sapiens male species could drop dead tomorrow and it would make no difference whatsoever biologically speaking to the survivability of the human race.

Both are expendable with population numbers where they are. Maybe not in Iceland, but you really don't have any business going to war unaided. Or being a country for that matter.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 15, 2013, 05:15:15 PM

Both are expendable with population numbers where they are. Maybe not in Iceland, but you really don't have any business going to war unaided. Or being a country for that matter.

All fair points.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Biologically, male mammals are very, very expendable but females are precious.

See, they've got enough of an attitude as it is without promoting bullshit like that.

Ideologue

I'm willing to expend the male population of Iceland.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2013, 04:06:05 PM
He already tried this. 

The first time it seemed like a transparent anti Gulf War tactic.  So it's a little weird he's bringing it up now.

I think it's just a general anti-war position that he holds.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2013, 04:06:05 PM
He already tried this. 

Maybe getting censured by Nancy Pelosi fried his brain.

Perhaps his actions were not simply hypocritical anti-Bush tactics after all.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Just the addled thoughts of a doddering old man.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Phillip V

Let's have term limits for Representatives.