News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Papabile: Papal predictions thread

Started by Martinus, February 12, 2013, 11:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

I cant believe no one understood the Latin announcement. It was quite clear.

So Francis in English? French media is reporting Francois.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Phillip V on March 13, 2013, 02:47:31 PM
What was his first language: Italian or Spanish?

Neither.  Argentinish :contract:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Larch

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Larch

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Phillip V

Pope Francis seems like a nice humble guy; born and raised in Argentina, but of a 1st generation Italian immigrant family. He studied and received a master's degree in chemistry before deciding to become a priest.

mongers

Quote from: mongers on March 13, 2013, 02:34:47 PM
His twitter account is literally gaining around 100 new followers every second or so:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JMBergoglio

When I posted that it was 6,000, now past the 125,000 mark; first papal 'achievement' quickest to 1 million followers ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martinus

Quote from: Phillip V on March 13, 2013, 03:23:13 PM
Pope Francis seems like a nice humble guy; born and raised in Argentina, but of a 1st generation Italian immigrant family. He studied and received a master's degree in chemistry before deciding to become a priest.

QuoteMore on Argentinian journalist Horacio Verbitsky's contention that Bergoglio stood by as tens of thousand of leftists were captured and killed:

The most well-known episode relates to the abduction of two Jesuits whom the military government secretly jailed for their work in poor neighborhoods.

According to "The Silence," a book written by journalist Horacio Verbitsky, Bergoglio withdrew his order's protection of the two men after they refused to quit visiting the slums, which ultimately paved the way for their capture.

Verbitsky's book is based on statements by Orlando Yorio, one of the kidnapped Jesuits, before he died of natural causes in 2000. Both of the abducted clergymen survived five months of imprisonment.

"History condemns him. It shows him to be opposed to all innovation in the Church and above all, during the dictatorship, it shows he was very cozy with the military," Fortunato Mallimacci, the former dean of social sciences at the Universidad de Buenos Aires, once said.

Yeah, sounds like a really nice guy.

Razgovory

A Jesuit.  Wow.  That's big.  I mean, really big.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Anyway I guess the Argentine priest who did our marriage gets to move up one rank.  IIRC he had moved on to become some official something-or-other in the church hierarchy.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on March 13, 2013, 03:27:54 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on March 13, 2013, 03:23:13 PM

QuoteMore on Argentinian journalist Horacio Verbitsky's contention that Bergoglio stood by as tens of thousand of leftists were captured and killed:

The most well-known episode relates to the abduction of two Jesuits whom the military government secretly jailed for their work in poor neighborhoods.

According to "The Silence," a book written by journalist Horacio Verbitsky, Bergoglio withdrew his order's protection of the two men after they refused to quit visiting the slums, which ultimately paved the way for their capture.

Verbitsky's book is based on statements by Orlando Yorio, one of the kidnapped Jesuits, before he died of natural causes in 2000. Both of the abducted clergymen survived five months of imprisonment.

"History condemns him. It shows him to be opposed to all innovation in the Church and above all, during the dictatorship, it shows he was very cozy with the military," Fortunato Mallimacci, the former dean of social sciences at the Universidad de Buenos Aires, once said.

Yeah, sounds like a really nice guy.

So he's like your family then?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess