News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I'm enduring with watch dogs.
The controls still annoy. Steering is quirky and aiming is hard (how anyone manages fps on consoles I'll never know).
Nonetheless it gets fun
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

Fired up Expeditions: Conquistador again these past few days.

I seem to play it in small bursts several months apart. The gameplay isn't varied enough to hold my interest past a few hours, but the story and the setting are quite well done, so I always come back to it.

Plus as a Spaniard, that game just gets my imperial juices flowing...

Scipio

Still frustrated as fuck that I can't get Fable 3 to work on my PC.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Syt

Spent about 3.5 hours in American Truck Simulator driving across California and Nevada while listening to an oldies station from the Reno area. The game is as soothing and as relaxing as always.  :blush:

Though driving through San Francisco and along the winding paths along the Oxnard ocean front drove me slightly insane (sure, it makes for scenic driving, but would a 16 wheel truck really take those roads?). Fun moments include driving through the desert from Las Vegas to Fresno while the sun set behind the mountains and crossing Golden Gate.

Driving at night between San Francisco, LA, and San Diego: "Hey, there's a lot of traffic at 2 am!"
Driving at night in Northern Nevada: "Hello? Anybody there? Oh, another abandoned farm."

I also like the speed limits in Nevada a lot better than the ones in California. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PDH

:(  Can't drive across I-80 in Wyoming.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 07, 2016, 02:12:41 PM
Is the driving real time?!

I believe it's similar to ETS2 which would be ca. 19:1 outside cities. And of course cities are represented by a few roads and intersections, though I feel they're a bit larger than in ETS2, esp. in LA or San Francisco.

For a better map with more detail you might want to look at The Crew instead.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Syt

A bit disappointing at the moment is the size of the map.

ETS2 has this map: grey are the vanilla destinations, teal and green are expansions. Vanilla game had ca. 70 cities:

(Not to mention that mods have added France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, North Africa, plus Balkans and Russia.)

By comparison, this is the current US map (with a bit of the not yet released Arizona map already showing roads):

On the other hand, European cities in ETS2 are pretty generic. Your trucking missions will usually take you to an industrial/business area on the outskirts with a few landmarks visible in the distance. In ATS they try to make the cities feel more different. Partially by recreating landmarks (The Strip in Las Vegas), partially by changing the flavor of the streets. San Francisco feels different than San Diego feels different than Reno. IMHO they're not so much aiming at accurate depiction and more at capturing the flavor of a location.

Similar, the landscape between North and South, East and West is much more diverse IMO than in ETS2.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

I should add that the environments and simulation at no time reach the level of fidelity that GTA5 has.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

I bought kingdom.
Not what I expected. Very simple game. I'm not very good at it. It's nice though.
██████
██████
██████

Scipio

Darkest Dungeon has turned out very nice indeed. Very happy I kickstarted this one.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Grey Fox

American Truck Simulator using Keyboard control is HARD.

Grey Fox

I crashed into a cop car. Luckily the game only fined me for the speed.

Maladict

Picked up This war of mine. It's pretty intense.