News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you playing? (Redux)

Started by vinraith, March 13, 2009, 02:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

But you are painting a false picture of the game. The complex development tree you have for your capital is much more advanced than anything in any Heroes game.
Plus, you have mechanics like province exploration, and level of exploration linked to overpopulation. Different races of population, quests they can give to give you alliance instead of stomping them, the karma system, the morale of your units depending on what kind of units they are stacked with, the huge number of events, etc.
It is far more complex and advanced than the Heroes games.

Razgovory

I'm still playing Skyrim.  I'm on a quest line where we are trying to prevent this vampire lord from blotting out the sun.  I don't see why my guy can't just finish the quest by walking in to the enemy castle and killing everyone.  At the beginning I meet the vampire lord in his castle and he offers me the great power of being a vampire.  There is no option to say back to him "You know, I'm the most powerful wizard in the whole of Skyrim, I swat dragons out of the sky, summon up demons to deal with things beneath my notice and I can stop time itself if I so choose.  I can light everyone in this godforsaken room on fire if I felt like it.  I only found out about you because I just killed your best guys who I happened to find in a crypt that I was looting."
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Some Lords can't handle the truth mate.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

I really wish they'd revamp and repub Battlefield: Vietnam.  That was always my favorite.

crazy canuck

Expeditions: Conquistador is a great role playing game.  You start off giving yourself some stats as the leader of the expedition and then you select 10 people to accompany you.  I have tried a few starting parties and I like having 1 doctor, 3 hunters, 3 scouts, 1 scholar and 2 men at arms best.  You have the opportunity to pick up another man at arms early on as well.

Its got a great mix of exploration, meaningful decisions and resource managment.  The thing I like most is it is very immersive.  I found myself really liking some of the characters in my party and when they come into harms way you find yourself worrying about whether they will pull through.

The combat system is also quite good.  It is hex based and each class has its own particular abilities and weaknesses.

Managing your band of adventures is a game within the game.  They each have three attributes which affect their reactions as to how you deal with various issues which in turn affects their moral.  You can also level party members and give them equipment (make sure you give equipemnt out whenever you get it so it doesnt get stolen).  Even that process can have effects on moral  - especially if you have attention whore Marti types in your party who get butt hurt if you are not paying enough attention to them.

Pro-tip - dont associate with Marti like characters.

http://conquistadorthegame.com/

Grey Fox

Any of you guys ever play Wargame European Escalation or it's newest standalone expansion Airland Battle?

I've watched a couple of Let's play on youtube & I'm still confuse by that game.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

katmai

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 06, 2013, 09:52:41 AM
Any of you guys ever play Wargame European Escalation or it's newest standalone expansion Airland Battle?

Funk does
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

FunkMonk

They're both really good games, Airland Battle being the better one. Pretty much an RTS set in the Cold War. Capture zones to buy more units, much slower paced than Starcraft or any other RTS out there now, but it is real time with no pause so that puts a lot of people off. I'm still not very good at it but for me it has the perfect mix of war game abstraction and real world tactical combat.

What confuses you about it? 
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Scipio

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, is about the best AAA shooter game I've played for $15.00.

Gunpoint is a comical indie pseudo-stealth game.

Both ten out of ten.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Razgovory

I bought Panzer General II off GOG to play on my old PC.  Still a great game.  Noticed something though, you never really get to use really heavy artillery.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

I've played through Portal 1 for the first time. That was fun, if not particularly hard.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Scipio

XCom with the Slingshot DLC.  It's like a big candy pile.  Makes the game easier.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM