News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is the VW Super Bowl commercial racist?

Started by Syt, January 30, 2013, 03:32:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

It is no news that a lot of people seem to thrive on finding things to be offended by.  Some even make their careers by doing it.  If racism didn't exist they'd have to invent it.
PDH!

Scipio

Quote from: derspiess on January 30, 2013, 03:40:31 PM
Having a sister in law who's a trustafarian and a nephew of color, I feel qualified to speak on this subject.  No, it is not racist.

Seriously, FFS lighten up people.
Lighten up?

RACISS!
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Scipio on January 30, 2013, 07:27:01 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 30, 2013, 03:40:31 PM
Having a sister in law who's a trustafarian and a nephew of color, I feel qualified to speak on this subject.  No, it is not racist.

Seriously, FFS lighten up people.
Lighten up?

RACISS!

Weightist :contract:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PDH

I had a vw scirocco in college.  Fun car til it died.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Darth Wagtaros

Herbie would be rolling around in his grave.
PDH!

sbr

Back in 2000 I dated 2 girls who drove Jettas.

Then I got back together with my ex-wife.

:shivers:  That was a rough year.  :yuk:

CountDeMoney

I find it substantially far less offensive than Kia's advertising series from a couple years ago, with "urban culture" rodents.  Blacks = Vermin?  Figures for an Asian car company.

http://youtu.be/Ty-BMr6SVlI

Eddie Teach

I liked that one just for introducing me to that song.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Liep

Fuck the racism, that's a horrible tune.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 31, 2013, 06:40:46 AM
I liked that one just for introducing me to that song.

And you were where in the '80s/90s?

Josquius

Isn't Jamaica as a very laid back place a stereotype that has been used in dozens of adverts before? Hell, IIRC some brands (tropicana maybe?) even base all their advertising on it.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

I friggin hated both the KIA ads and that song.
PDH!

Martinus

Incidentally, could someone explain to me why it is ok for (white) actors to use "hillbilly" or "gay" voices for comedy value, but when they use a "black" voice it is unacceptable?