Is The World Better Off Without The Soviet Union ?

Started by mongers, January 28, 2013, 07:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is The World Better Or Worse Off Without The Soviet Union ?

Yes
23 (67.6%)
It's In the Balance
6 (17.6%)
No
4 (11.8%)
Don't know
0 (0%)
Soviet What? (I was born within the last 20 years and never heard of it).
1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on January 29, 2013, 04:00:40 AM
I DON'T KNOW MONGERS, LET ME THINK ABOUT THAT!

Dunno, would Hungary be even more fucked up than it is right now? :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on January 29, 2013, 04:00:40 AM
I DON'T KNOW MONGERS, LET ME THINK ABOUT THAT!

:lol:

Still you should have stuck with the "Tamas cat" you used last time. 

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

For Russians those under their influences it's certainly is so?

For NATO members, I'm not so sure. Terrorisms would be kept in check in the least & much less Chinese influence all over the world.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

Brazen

I miss the revolutionary enamel badges and being offered $100 for my Levis.

Did anyone else here actually visit the Soviet Union or am I the only one who attended a Cambridge spy feeder school?

Admiral Yi

Spent a couple nights in Budapest before the Iron Curtain came down.

DGuller

Quote from: Brazen on January 29, 2013, 11:29:33 AM
I miss the revolutionary enamel badges and being offered $100 for my Levis.
What did you wear on the flight back? :unsure:

Martinus

crazy canuck

Hmm, lets see.

Growing up my generation lived in fear of nuclear war.  Does anyone even talk about that.

Growing up there were two competing economic methods of organizing society.  One promoted liberty and one promoted totalitarianism.  Now, while China is still "communist" in name communism is all but dead.  Which is the main reason we dont really worry about nuclear war anymore.

I was in East Berlin, East Germany and Budapest when they were under communist rule.  I think that any notion that things might have been better if the Soviet Union survived is the worst kind of historical amnesia there can be.