Is The World Better Off Without The Soviet Union ?

Started by mongers, January 28, 2013, 07:02:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is The World Better Or Worse Off Without The Soviet Union ?

Yes
23 (67.6%)
It's In the Balance
6 (17.6%)
No
4 (11.8%)
Don't know
0 (0%)
Soviet What? (I was born within the last 20 years and never heard of it).
1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 33

mongers

So is the world better off now without the Soviet Union compared to one where it survives to this day.

Feel free to make up any speculative alt-history to explain this and I'll won't feel compelled to take any notice.

Currently I'm largely seeing downside, namely:
Increase gangsterism in various parts of the world and much of Russia.

Russians ruining English football, still further.

Drunk Eastern Europeans cluttering up some cultural spots around Europe, which is after all traditionally a British Job.  : :mad:

The Soviet Union kept the world safe from Georgians, well the one sane of each generation was usual allowed out on licence.

You generally knew where you were with the Cold War and isn't it going to be stupid if much of the world goes up in flames over some accidental/stupid bullshit as compared to a proper idealogical conflict.

Upside:
British plumbing has never been better.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tonitrus

I think a lot of the Mid-East gangsterism would have occurred anyway...and the Soviet Union brinkmanship games would have just made them all the more complex.

mongers

Oops, slight error in the thread title, it should just say
"Is The World Better Off Without The Soviet Union "

The "worse" crept in their before I decided to change the new topic into a poll.  :blush:

mongers

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 28, 2013, 07:07:02 PM
I think a lot of the Mid-East gangsterism would have occurred anyway...and the Soviet Union brinkmanship games would have just made them all the more complex.

I wasn't thinking of the Mid-East when referring to gangsterism, I was meaning at a baser level, places like the US Eastern Seaboard, Israel and parts of Europe have experience more of it because some of these groups from the former SU are good at being rather ruthless gangsters.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Darth Wagtaros

Martinus might be a colonel in the Warsaw Pact forces by now. 

Tom Clancy might have managed to eek out a few more books rather than turning into a complete -and rather pathetic- hack.
PDH!

Sheilbh

True. The world's gain has been John le Carre's loss :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

Quote from: mongers on January 28, 2013, 07:10:22 PM
Quote from: Tonitrus on January 28, 2013, 07:07:02 PM

I wasn't thinking of the Mid-East when referring to gangsterism, I was meaning at a baser level, places like the US Eastern Seaboard, Israel and parts of Europe have experience more of it because some of these groups from the former SU are good at being rather ruthless gangsters.

I guess I was thinking "gangsterism" in the Soviet anti-capitalism sense.  :P

But, if the SU were still wobbling along, enterprising gangsters would probably still have left to go where the money is anyway.  They were probably well on their way of doing that just before the collapse anyway.

jimmy olsen

Meant to vote yes but hit "in the balance" by mistake.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 28, 2013, 07:20:39 PM
Tom Clancy might have managed to eek out a few more books rather than turning into a complete -and rather pathetic- hack.

:lol:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

lustindarkness

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 28, 2013, 07:20:39 PM

That was my first thought.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Tonitrus

He doesn't even write books any more, he just lets other hacks slap his name on their books.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josquius

Define Soviet Union.
Would the world be better off with a peak of the cold war, imminent nuclear annihilation, a large chunk of Europe locked away under dictatorial rule, etc..... - no way.
Would the world be better off if the Soviet Union had stayed united and managed to reform more succesfully- that could be yes.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas