News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Gamersgate: stunt, or fatal fuckups?

Started by Tamas, December 27, 2012, 06:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

First, they sold about 400 dollars worth of Bethesda stuff (including Skyrim!) for $30.

It burned their server, no doubt a lot of people felt liking stockpiling Steam codes of new-ish games for pennies to resell later.
In fact, they ran out of stock on some of the titles. They promised a January delivery for these.

Fast forward a couple of days, and an other sale fuckup: Borderlands 2 4-packs for 90% off.  server crashes again.

Browsing their forum, looks like their lawyers told them they can cancel the transactions by refunding. So they pulled the cheapo Bethesda packs and the Borderlands 2 packs from peeps who got it for the retard-cheap price.

Some dude highlighted that they had the Patrician 4 Gold Pack for like 95% off but I am not sure if that was a mistake. :P

At any rate, this is highly unprofessional. Even for people who didn't participate in the gangrape of their wallets the site was unavailable.

I am actually happy they decided to automatically refund people for the fucked up packs, because I don't really want them going under because of this.

But I am wondering: did they leave tech support to some 2nd level idiots during the holidays, or is this some elaborate stunt to generate publicity? Should I make sure to archive my installer files?

Syt

And here I was wondering why their webpage was down. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

don't see how it could be a publicity stunt unless they follow all publicity is good publicity. as involuntarily refunding people sounds like terrible press.
██████
██████
██████