How Much Does a Good Restaurant Steak Cost Where You Live?

Started by Admiral Yi, December 05, 2012, 03:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

Petit Filet Mignon (8 ounces) was 33 clams, Grand (12 ounces) was 39.

A little higher here, Yi.  36 for 8 oz filet mignon, 46 for 12.
http://www.buckheadrestaurants.com/media/menus/Chops_Lobster_Bar_Dinner.pdf

Sheilbh

Quote from: Warspite on December 05, 2012, 04:29:02 PM
A very good quality steak at a place that doesn't have its head up its own arse around here is £17 to £20.
Yep.  Same price for a very bad one too.
Let's bomb Russia!

sbr

The best local (non-chain) place in Portland has a 6oz filet for $39, 10 oz filet for $58, 14oz New York for $49.50.

http://www.ringsidesteakhouse.com/images/pdf_menu/downtown/pdf_menus/ringside-steakhouse-dinner-menu-portland-restaurant.pdf **pdf warning!!**

The next best place is Ruth's Chris, a national chain.  The on-line menu doesn't have prices but I think they are comparable.

I have never eaten at Ruth's Chris.  I have eaten at Ringside a couple of times, but the most recent was probably 10 years ago.

The Larch

IIRC you can get some great Argentinian style steak for around 20 € around here.

Admiral Yi

What makes a steak Argentinian "style?"  Is there more to it than just coming from Argentina?

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 05, 2012, 07:51:03 PM
What makes a steak Argentinian "style?"  Is there more to it than just coming from Argentina?

The cuts are different.

Ed Anger

It has a very inflated sense of self and when cut, surrenders to the knife.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: The Larch on December 05, 2012, 08:05:36 PM

The cuts are different.

And it's cooked a little differently.  Always (or should always be) slow-cooked over hot coals.  Actual Argentine beef is free range, grass-fed.  Or at least the better stuff is.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

In Argentina you can go to a fast food place and get a decent cut of bife de chorizo (not to be confused with chorizo sausage)  or lomo cooked the proper way for like $7, including a beer and some fries.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Do you,as an Anglo, get a side order of sneer from them?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 05, 2012, 08:30:38 PM
Do you,as an Anglo, get a side order of sneer from them?

My people love me. 

Seriously, every where you go, service tends to be very friendly down there.  Though oddly the better the restaurant, the slower it is (though still friendly).  I can usually sorta blend in but generally they're at least outwardly nice to Yanquis.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on December 05, 2012, 08:41:22 PM
They were even nice to an Englishman :o

Seems like the love every individual Brit they come across (particularly musicians) but still claim to dislike Brits as a group.

mongers

Quote from: derspiess on December 05, 2012, 08:47:23 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on December 05, 2012, 08:41:22 PM
They were even nice to an Englishman :o

Seems like the love every individual Brit they come across (particularly musicians) but still claim to dislike Brits as a group.

So, I'll be alright going there, just so long as it isn't in a group, say like a battalion.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

I dunno.  Like $15-$25 I guess.

$45 for a steak?  Jesus.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)