New Quebec Language Law silliness: "Le Magasin Walmart"

Started by Barrister, November 19, 2012, 01:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

It's been a bad year for Quebec. The province seems determined to live up to all the complaints made about it - strikes, municipal corruption scandals, and harsher language laws.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on November 20, 2012, 09:46:44 AM
Quote from: viper37 on November 20, 2012, 08:48:43 AM
In the US, you have affirmative action for certain groups, like the blacks, because historically, they were denied access to decent schools.  Either we have affirmative action were French would be given preferential treatments (I can imagine the outcry in Canada), or you let the people of Quebec protect their culture.  And yes, sometimes it will give silly issues like the trademark battles.

I'm not sure if that's the best equivalent. After all, black people aren't really dying out whereas you're talking about propping up an apparently dying culture (or at least one that has to be foisted on others to survive).

Yeah. I was thinking that the equivalent would be more like the Acadians in Louisiana or the Appalacians in eastern Tennessee, Kentucky, and western Virginia, which we do nothing to encourage or maintain.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on November 20, 2012, 10:00:25 AM
It's been a bad year for Quebec. The province seems determined to live up to all the complaints made about it - strikes, municipal corruption scandals, and harsher language laws.

BUt those things are what make it interesting and unique.  Nobody gets all excited about goings on in Montana.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on November 20, 2012, 10:11:38 AM

BUt those things are what make it interesting and unique.  Nobody gets all excited about goings on in Montana.

As the Chinese curse states: "may you live in Quebec".

Whoops - actually, "may you live in interesting times". My bad.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Why do you guys have a problem with us striking? Wasting our money?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

merithyn

While I've long wanted to visit Montreal at some point, this thread has made me want to visit it more than ever, now. Luckily, Max doesn't seem to have the same extreme distaste for Quebec as many of the other Canadians share, and may actually go with me when I go. :D

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 20, 2012, 10:15:08 AM

I don't. It's not a problem for me, it's a problem for you guys. Same with the corruption thing, and with the harsher language laws.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on November 20, 2012, 09:46:44 AM
Quote from: viper37 on November 20, 2012, 08:48:43 AM
In the US, you have affirmative action for certain groups, like the blacks, because historically, they were denied access to decent schools.  Either we have affirmative action were French would be given preferential treatments (I can imagine the outcry in Canada), or you let the people of Quebec protect their culture.  And yes, sometimes it will give silly issues like the trademark battles.

I'm not sure if that's the best equivalent. After all, black people aren't really dying out whereas you're talking about propping up an apparently dying culture (or at least one that has to be foisted on others to survive).

How on earth do you figure Quebecois culture is dying?  :huh:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on November 20, 2012, 10:16:57 AM
While I've long wanted to visit Montreal at some point, this thread has made me want to visit it more than ever, now. Luckily, Max doesn't seem to have the same extreme distaste for Quebec as many of the other Canadians share, and may actually go with me when I go. :D

I don't see any evidence for "extreme distaste for Quebec" here, other than Neil's rantings which are hardly serious.

Montreal is a lovely city, I've been there many times. Though as a tourist site you really can't beat Quebec City.

merithyn

Maybe distaste is too strong a word. It's more of a dismissal of the culture, the laws, and the people. Honestly, hearing a lot of Canadians (not here, but in general), they speak of Quebec much like many in the US speak of Canada. Almost like it's an annoying little brother that we love to beat up, but no one else can. :P

Barrister

Quote from: merithyn on November 20, 2012, 10:31:13 AM
Maybe distaste is too strong a word. It's more of a dismissal of the culture, the laws, and the people. Honestly, hearing a lot of Canadians (not here, but in general), they speak of Quebec much like many in the US speak of Canada. Almost like it's an annoying little brother that we love to beat up, but no one else can. :P

I think many Canadians are dismissive of Quebec politics (and hence many of its laws), but that's different from disliking the people or culture.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quebec City seems nice for a brief getaway but I like Montreal better. Also Montreal is very English friendly - though I did have a long interaction at a grocery store where the woman never realized I don't speak French. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on November 20, 2012, 10:44:25 AM
Quote from: merithyn on November 20, 2012, 10:31:13 AM

I think many Canadians are dismissive of Quebec politics (and hence many of its laws), but that's different from disliking the people or culture.

Hmm, I would argue that the culture is also rife with complaint by many Canadians. It's certainly how it seems to an outsider.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Malthus on November 20, 2012, 10:18:37 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on November 20, 2012, 10:15:08 AM

I don't. It's not a problem for me, it's a problem for you guys. Same with the corruption thing, and with the harsher language laws.

Not really, it's just the way we do business. How do you think we built all those nice cabins in our woods?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on November 20, 2012, 10:45:14 AM
Quebec City seems nice for a brief getaway but I like Montreal better. Also Montreal is very English friendly - though I did have a long interaction at a grocery store where the woman never realized I don't speak French. :D

Depends on whay you are looking for - Montreal is a big, happening city, with culture and activity by the ton. Quebec City is more picturesque.