NFL Week 11: Where's the back up QB? WHERES THE OVERRIDE? THE OVERRIDE?

Started by CountDeMoney, November 15, 2012, 08:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Count on November 21, 2012, 12:32:29 AM
Gronk.  :(

Fuck him.   Want to run up the score with your starters?  Karma's a bitch.  Too bad more Patriots didn't break shit.

Neil

Didn't he break it on an extra point, which is about the safest play in the NFL?

Maybe somebody put a little hot sauce on that forearm, to quote Bart Scott.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

He certainly has more in the tank than Leftwich does.  Honestly, I was half expecting Steelhead shenanigans by having Batch in the huddle at the start of the game.   He's old as dirt, but he's still got a cannon and wheels, something Leftwich doesn't have much of either left anymore. 
Steelers lost their chance at the game the other night by not putting Batch in, when everybody in Western civilization saw that Leftwich couldn't breathe without hurting.

Neil

Yeah, it really was bizarre that Tomlin left him in.  Really, when he underthrew Sanders by ten yards, you had to know something was wrong, even if you hadn't been paying attention to the obvious pain he'd been in ever since his run.  And Ihedibo cleaning his clock didn't help.

Count

Quote from: Neil on November 21, 2012, 12:46:57 AM
Didn't he break it on an extra point, which is about the safest play in the NFL?

Maybe somebody put a little hot sauce on that forearm, to quote Bart Scott.

Yeah it was a PAT. No idea how he broke it. Speaking of horrible people from Baltimore, I enjoyed seeing Bernard Pollard whiff on Leftwich in that big run in the first quarter. I can only assume the Steelers won in a romp after that.
I am CountDeMoney's inner child, who appears mysteriously every few years

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Count on November 21, 2012, 01:11:18 AM
Speaking of horrible people from Baltimore, I enjoyed seeing Bernard Pollard whiff on Leftwich in that big run in the first quarter. I can only assume the Steelers won in a romp after that.

It was a mercy whiff.  Pollard didn't want to kill the poor bastard.

CountDeMoney

QuoteNew England Patriots coach Bill Belichick losing 'genius' aura and Rob Gronkowski injury is just the latest example
The longer Belichick goes without winning a Super Bowl after the Jets and the NFL put an end to his intricate spying operation of opponents' defensive signals, the more a case can be made that his championships deserve an asterisk.

NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Gary Myers

Bill Belichick is certain to be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame five years after he's finished coaching - three titles gets him in - but to call him a football genius these days is completely outdated.

Although he always has one of the best teams in the NFL, and this season is no different, it's been seven seasons since Belichick last won the Super Bowl and his three championships in his first five years in New England all came prior to being exposed in the SpyGate scandal at the beginning of the 2007 season.

The longer Belichick goes without winning a Super Bowl after the Jets and the NFL put an end to his intricate spying operation of opponents' defensive signals, the more a case can be made that his championships deserve an asterisk.

The mystique and aura of Belichick has taken major hits.

He is supposed to be so much smarter than everybody else, so until now he has escaped criticism for his bizarre deployment of personnel in blowout games because it hasn't resulted in a major injury.

What sense does it make leaving Tom Brady in at the end of games with leads so big even the Patriots' putrid defense can hold them? Fortunately for Brady, nobody has taken a cheap shot at him as Belichick keeps dialing up touchdowns.

But how sick must Belichick feel now that he will be Gronk-less for the Thanksgiving Night game against the Jets at MetLife because he kept All-Pro tight end Rob Gronkowski on the extra point protection team after New England scored its eighth touchdown Sunday to take a 59-24 lead against the Colts with 3:55 remaining. Gronk broke his forearm and had surgery Monday.

"He is my All-Pro tight end and my quarterback's favorite receiver. I would get him off the field," an NFL source said Monday. "Don't expose him any more than he has to. Belichick can be second-guessed for that. I would. If it was a game-changing situation and we need to lock down the game, then use him. But what he did is not smart. It's not good business."

Belichick, who would not even acknowledge Monday that Gronkowski had surgery that's expected to keep him out 4-6 weeks, defended leaving Gronkowski on special teams at the end of Sunday's game, although he wasn't on the field for the offensive series.

"Football players play football," he said on WEEI in Boston. "You tell me which guys are going to get hurt and I'll get them out of there."

He added, "You have to be careful about pulling some guys and not others and sending the message that the team cares about one player more than the other."

However, the reality is some players are more important than others. Those players need to be protected when possible to minimize the risk of being injured.

The Jets, who might need to win their final six games to make the playoffs, certainly will benefit by Gronkowski's absence. He scored two touchdowns against them earlier this season in the Patriots' overtime victory in Foxborough.

Brady threw his last pass Sunday against the Colts with 5:32 left even though the Patriots led 52-24. Brady took the first 58 offensive snaps until he was finally replaced by Ryan Mallett for the three plays the Patriots ran on the last series. When the Patriots beat the Jets, 45-3, near the end of the 2010 season, Belichick had Brady take every snap.

"What are you doing? What sense does that make?" the source said. "If he didn't take the last three snaps, why did he take the last 15 before that? We're not that dumb and he's not that bright that we can't see the obvious. Coaches get blind to something. We put Belichick on a different pedestal and hold him to a different standard. Maybe it's time to take him off the pedestal. He's a mere mortal."

Belichick's teams have been successful since SpyGate, they just haven't won another title. New England became the first team to finish 16-0 in the regular season in 2007, but they lost to the 10-6 Giants in the Super Bowl. His 14-2 team in 2010 lost to the 11-5 Jets in the divisional round one month after beating them by 42 points. Last season, the Patriots finished 13-3 but lost to the 9-7 Giants in the Super Bowl.

Twice in the last five seasons, Belichick has been outcoached in the Super Bowl by Tom Coughlin.

If quarterbacks and coaches are judged by their rings, then Belichick and Brady have fallen on hard times the last eight years. In fact, Belichick's three championship teams were hardly dominant in the Super Bowl. They beat the Rams, Panthers and Eagles by just three points in each game.

Belichick needs to win a Super Bowl in the post-SpyGate era to restore the reputation he had before he was caught cheating. He can rationalize many different ways why he kept Gronkowski on the field, and why he keeps Brady in the game throwing the ball when the Patriots lead by four touchdowns, but when one of his best players gets hurt, it's time to adjust his approach.

He used to be a football genius. These days, he's just the coach in the hoodie with the sleeves cut off.

jimmy olsen

Fucking retarded, he's been to two superbowls since then, he lost them, but how many other coaches can even say that much?

And all other teams do this. I saw big list of teams leaving in their QBs with 3-4 touchdown leads with 5 minutes left in the game this year. They included Peyton Manning and Drew Brees.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 21, 2012, 05:56:42 AM
Fucking retarded, he's been to two superbowls since then, he lost them, but how many other coaches can even say that much?

To get beat twice by Tom Coughlin is quite a feat in itself.

Now fuck off, Bang Dong.

Grey Fox

I agree with you Tim, you can't fault him for letting Brady in. But there was no need for Gronk to be on an extrapoint squad.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Coughlin, Tomlin and Caldwell.

Neil

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 21, 2012, 07:15:15 AM
I agree with you Tim, you can't fault him for letting Brady in. But there was no need for Gronk to be on an extrapoint squad.
Why not?  The extra point is the safest play in football, and he's no shrinking violet.  All in all, this injury, while full of karma, is  a freak injury.

JacobL

And all other teams do this. I saw big list of teams leaving in their QBs with 3-4 touchdown leads with 5 minutes left in the game this year. They included Peyton Manning and Drew Brees.
Have you SEEN the saints defense?  They could give up 3-4 TDs in 5 minutes.  :bowler: